Stray Dogs Problem For Commonwealth Games Cyclists

samoyedman

http://www.smh.com.au/commonwealth-games-2...1009-16cxw.html

HALF-STARVED, flea-ridden dogs are likely to prove as much of a threat to Australia's cyclists in their Commonwealth Games road races on Sunday as Delhi's oppressive heat and the world's best sprinter Mark Cavendish.

The stray dogs which lounge and scavenge in numbers around several points of the course where the 168-kilometre men's and 112km women's races will be run, threaten to turn both races into a mangy obstacle course.

Team managements, including Australia, have checked and re-checked the course's security, and publicly say they have no concerns. Games organisers, Delhi police and the government all say they have secured the course and put in place the necessary barricades to ensure no outside disruption. But Delhi's decrepit flea taxis may prove a trickier proposition to control.

Advertisement: Story continues below How organisers - who have presided over a calamity-riddled Games full of empty promises - actually properly secure kilometres of the city and keep dogs away from riders will be watched with interest.

''The organising committee has finished barricading the course. All the work has been completed, last-minute checks will be carried out until the events begin,'' Games organising committee secretary-general Lalit Bhanot told the Times of India. ''Since the events are taking place in the open, one has to be very careful about security.''

Triple Delhi gold medallist Cameron Meyer, who will compete in the race, said Australian team management was confident the course would be safe.

Watching the pre games hoo ha, I felt very sorry for India. Stories centred on cockroach infested accommodation, dengue fever, improperly built venues, and it was all doom and gloom.

It's pleasing to see the events seemingly conducted without any problems.

I wonder about spectators. Could the 'normal' Indian family afford tickets, which I belive are highly priced?

Watching the pre games hoo ha, I felt very sorry for India. Stories centred on cockroach infested accommodation, dengue fever, improperly built venues, and it was all doom and gloom.

It's pleasing to see the events seemingly conducted without any problems.

I wonder about spectators. Could the 'normal' Indian family afford tickets, which I belive are highly priced?

And without too many spectators, sadly.