Dog Baits? Nowra

Flashsmum

There have been a couple of local dogs apparently baited down by the Shoalhaven River a few weeks ago, and this morning, my Mum was walking her dog at the showground (which is a leash free area), and found balls of mince meat on the ground. She picked them up and threw them in the bin. They looked fresh, and were in an area that there should be no picnickers, so wierd that they were there.

She rang me and told me about it this morning.

It sh*** me that people would try to bait dogs, especially in areas that are designated for dogs.

If you live around Nowra, and use the showground to excercise your dogs, be careful that they don't eat anything.

Edited by Flashsmum

Yes its horrible.

Im always watching when I walk Riley just in case. No matter how quick we're walking he can pick something up in one quick swoop and shovel it down before I even see what it is.

My MIL lives down that way so Ill let her know

Wonder if its worth telling the local vet/s ? They could put a notice up and be aware of it

Wholy crap can you PM me the exact location of the meat balls (the showgrounds are prety big) PLEASE We have about 80 dogs there for training every Wed night. We have a club meeting tonight and i will let them all know and maby go on a hunt to see if we can find some to take to the vet or police to chek .

I would rather be safe than sorry. I know of two dogs that ate something whilst walking along the river, and both got ill. They were treated by the same vet, who thought that they had ingested the same substance. Both dogs recovered. I watch our dogs constantly when walking with them, and Harry, the greyhound, is muzzled, so can't pick anything up.

Anne, i know that there could be any number of explinations but for the sake of our club members i think we should be safe rather then sorry dont you?

I am not saying to not act with caution. I am simply stating that there is no need to be assuming, just return and retireve the meat and have it tested. :laugh:

If I seriously thought I found meat that was baited, I would have it tested to be sure particularly that you know where the offending meat balls are, then the council and Police WILL take action. Otherwise, it is just guess work and no-one really knows and the dogs that come along after you are at risk because you don't have the resources that the Police and Council do.

Edited by ~Anne~

It was on the West St side I gather, near the oval there. I will get more of a specific location when I get hold of Mum, and put it on here ASAP.

Do you mean the Added Area, or the West St Oval?

If it is the added area that is where the Shoalhaven Dog Training Club do their obedience /agility training.