E-collar Importing From Usa

Hi, I have had a search and it looks like the import ban on e-collars was lifted back in 2009, my sister lives in the US and I was just wanting some clarification, I live in NSW where I believe I would need a vet to say my dog needed or was fit for use with a collar.

But is my sister allowed to bring in one of these units in with her through customs (Sydney Airport)?

I'm probably looking at the Dogtra 7100H, unless someone can suggest a better product.

Cheers,

Nathaniel

Hi, I have had a search and it looks like the import ban on e-collars was lifted back in 2009, my sister lives in the US and I was just wanting some clarification, I live in NSW where I believe I would need a vet to say my dog needed or was fit for use with a collar.

But is my sister allowed to bring in one of these units in with her through customs (Sydney Airport)?

I'm probably looking at the Dogtra 7100H, unless someone can suggest a better product.

Cheers,

Nathaniel

In the first place I am horrified that you would want to use an E Collar, secondly as far as I am aware they can be bought quite easily in Australia

I thought NSW did not have a ban on them. You can cause yourself a lot of grief and expense by trying to bring in something that is banned here.

Beagie

Hi,

First off yes the import ban was lifted and you can now import e-collars into Australia. I am unsure on the laws about using them in NSW. Here in Vic you have to use them under the supervision of a trainer and have to have your dog assessed by a vet first. Dogtra are a brilliant brand, though I an unfamiliar with the 7100 model.

Are you familiar with using e-collars? If not I would highly recommend contacting a qualified trainer to ensure you use it correctly and get the most out your training. I would recommend Steve Courtney from K9Pro. he is in NSW and a wealth of information on e-collars and their uses. He made a world of difference to me and my dog :eek:

Beagie used correctly e-collars can be a very effective training tool. Perhaps you should do some more research on their uses and training methods.

I agree with laeral - it would be easier to get them here (unless that model isn't in Australia) and Steve from K9Pro would be the best person to talk about it and about their use. I'm not sure about the legalities of ecollars in NSW - you might want to check that out as well before purchasing one as they are expensive.

You can use them in NSW as far as I know.

I would ask K9pro to recommend one - as they know a locally made brand (someone makes them in QLD but there may be others). But ideally you get one with a lot of adjustment in it so you use only a tiny tickle for the zap level. And many have an auto cut off so you can't hold the charge on for longer than 5 seconds or something like that.

The only issue with getting from OS is getting an adaptor for the battery charger because it comes with a USA plug (110volts) which is different to an OZ one (240 volts).

http://www.k9pro.com.au/categories.php?cat...Remote-Trainers

And yes I think they are excellent for training when the dog is far away. But the operator needs training first, and then the dog needs training so they know what the tickle means and what to do to make it stop, instead of panicking.

And just for clarity - I don't use one. I have tried one on me, and I have checked out what they can be used for. I have used electric fences and shark zappers so I'm not too concerned about (lightly) zapping an animal for its own safety. Eg snake avoidance training. Where an animal's safety is not an issue - eg dog sports - I don't think e-collars are necessary training tools. And they're not legal to put on a dog in SA. Which is as annoying as some of the BSL.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

In the first place I am horrified that you would want to use an E Collar ...

Which only indicates you don't have a full understanding of how they work and the methodology that can be used in combination with them. In fact, I've seen and experienced such great results with the good use of the e-collar that I could just as easily be horrified that you are horrified at anyone wanting to use one, Beagie. What is the level of your experience and knowledge of them (and the training method they can be combined with)?

To the OP : I agree with the recommendation of obtaining tuition for the good use of these collars - they can often prove far kinder skeletally and muscularly speaking than even the seemingly benign flat collar. But you need to know how. Just as you would for any training tool :D.

I believe you should have no trouble bringing one in to the Country, although there is then the matter of warranty and whether you have the "C Check" tick which is what validates the warranty when you purchase within the Country. I confess I don't fully understand this (even though it's been explained to me more than once) but K9 Pro would be able to tell you.

Edited by Erny

Which only indicates you don't have a full understanding of how they work and the methodology that can be used in combination with them. In fact, I've seen and experienced such great results with the good use of the e-collar that I could just as easily be horrified that you are horrified at anyone wanting to use one, Beagie. What is the level of your experience and knowledge of them (and the training method they can be combined with)?

To the OP : I agree with the recommendation of obtaining tuition for the good use of these collars - they can often prove far kinder skeletally and muscularly speaking than even the seemingly benign flat collar. But you need to know how. Just as you would for any training tool :thumbsup:.

I believe you should have no trouble bringing one in to the Country, although there is then the matter of warranty and whether you have the "C Check" tick which is what validates the warranty when you purchase within the Country. I confess I don't fully understand this (even though it's been explained to me more than once) but K9 Pro would be able to tell you.

If I needed an E Collar then I would give up the idea of training, why would I want to do that to dogs that I luv who live in my home as part of my family

and have not done anything to me to warrant such a correction. But then my dogs are well exercised and have a lot of time put into them in training

it is suposed to be fun. I guess it is a quick means to an end for some people, we are all allowed are own opinions on such things. One of my dogs was

snake trained before I got him, I bought him because he was suposed to be unmanageable and fighting all the time. I have never never from day one

had a problem with this dog, he is the softest and most luvable dog and the best and easiest to train I have ever had. However, if he was bullied he would

shut down. i.e. one time when I was training him in directed jumping he would not jump a certain way, so I said okay there is a reason for this, I had

people saying make him do it etc. if he were mine I would not allow him away with that. I had him vet checked he had burst an ear drum and had

serious problems with his ear, so he could not jump that was as he would have lost his balance. The moral of the story is listen to your dog ask yourself

first off why am I having a problem in this or that. My other dog used to run away all the time from his sowners, he is thirteen now I have had him twelve

years, every day when I get home from our run which is off lead through bush there he is right beside me. That is all I have to say this is a free country

we are all allowed our opinions. My third dog a pup is a work in progress, I am not in any great rush to get there or beat the world, he is a real mint

little dog. Beagie

If I needed an E Collar then I would give up the idea of training, why would I want to do that to dogs that I luv who live in my home as part of my family

and have not done anything to me to warrant such a correction. But then my dogs are well exercised and have a lot of time put into them in training

it is suposed to be fun. I guess it is a quick means to an end for some people, we are all allowed are own opinions on such things.

Do what to a dog exactly?

As requested when you say "such a correction" please give details as to the correction that you are talking about?

It is only quicker if applied correctly with an animal that has the correct disposition to the method applied, same as any other training tool.

it is suposed to be fun.

The moral of the story is listen to your dog ask yourself

first off why am I having a problem in this or that.

Beagie

So what, I don't exercise my dog enough or put time into her training as I have 'had' to use an e-collar? Oh of course the regular 10km runs with the horse mustn't be enough as she was still misbehaving!

I did listen to my dog, and she was constantly screaming - mmm roos, bunnies, I must chase, chase chase! I definitely knew what the problem was and chose an appropriate tool to train her with, and yes it has taken a lot of training with the e-collar as it is a tool not unlike any other training tool. There was nothing barbaric about it, no high powered voltage used, no shut down or in-pain dog, as like you I love my dog dearly and would not have tolerated that.

The end result a very happy pooch that spends hours on a property with me off leash and regularly goes for long horse rides though the bush.

I am sorry to pick on your post Beagie or sound like a smart ass, but it really annoys me when people suggest that I have been cruel to my dog when they clearly have NO knowledge on how the collar works or how to use it. If you think you just slap a collar on and zap the dog into submission you are grossly misinformed.

I hope the OP hasn't been put off due to the first response. He hasn't been back in here since he posted.

To the OP : I agree with the recommendation of obtaining tuition for the good use of these collars - they can often prove far kinder skeletally and muscularly speaking than even the seemingly benign flat collar. But you need to know how. Just as you would for any training tool :thumbsup:.

it is suposed to be fun. I guess it is a quick means to an end for some people, we are all allowed are own opinions on such things. One of my dogs was

snake trained before I got him, I bought him because he was suposed to be unmanageable and fighting all the time. I have never never from day one

had a problem with this dog, he is the softest and most luvable dog and the best and easiest to train I have ever had. However, if he was bullied he would

shut down. i.e. one time when I was training him in directed jumping he would not jump a certain way, so I said okay there is a reason for this, I had

people saying make him do it etc. if he were mine I would not allow him away with that. I had him vet checked he had burst an ear drum and had

serious problems with his ear, so he could not jump that was as he would have lost his balance. The moral of the story is listen to your dog ask yourself

first off why am I having a problem in this or that. My other dog used to run away all the time from his sowners, he is thirteen now I have had him twelve

years, every day when I get home from our run which is off lead through bush there he is right beside me. That is all I have to say this is a free country

we are all allowed our opinions. My third dog a pup is a work in progress, I am not in any great rush to get there or beat the world, he is a real mint

little dog. Beagie

I could split this up - there is so much in what you've written that could easily be responded to, but I'm not sure you want to hear. The give away line that makes me think this is the part I've highlighted. It is a common statement made by people who just want to make their opinion heard but who aren't confident they could back it up with reasoning if 'reasoning' came knocking on their doorstep (which, in this instance, it easily could).

But Beagie, I can very confidently inform you that I can clearly identify from what you have written that you have no knowledge whatsoever about how e-collars can be and are used in training by the very many who are out there and who can help educate those who are open-minded enough to be educated.

If you do want to learn more than what you do about this very fine piece of training equipment, let us know :rofl:. In the meantime, for your entertainment, obviously a very unhappy downtrodden dog (not) ....

post-5887-1286852151_thumb.jpg

post-5887-1286852128_thumb.jpg

post-5887-1286852118_thumb.jpg

Edited by Erny

post-5887-1286852203_thumb.jpg

post-5887-1286852212_thumb.jpg

post-5887-1286852221_thumb.jpg

Sorry - the pictures are a bit small for you to get a good idea and they are quite blurry - it was hard to catch him in the camera frame as he was doing zoomies and is very fast, but it is pretty obvious that this one is absolutely mortified at life and HATING the freedom his training (which he also loves) has granted him. :thumbsup:

Edited by Erny

Seems that every time someone mentions anything remotely aversive in training methods from Cesar Milan to E collars, people come on here with critical comments about how dogs shouldn't be put through these type of training measures and tools. There are plenty of people with theories and not using any aversive methods to train dogs is just another theory, but the thing that concerns me with theories, some people get too wrapped up with theories and certain training methods that when a dog doesn't respond to their theories and methods, the dog is the one that suffers in the long term.

I have been caught on the receiving end with trainers who stuck with and swear by one method to treat dog aggression that didn't work on my dog and blind Freddy could see it's not working but the trainers I had couldn't or didn't want to. I mentioned things like prong collars and that type of stuff as a suggestion and got a shpiel about cruelty to the dog and all that mumbo, but when I hired which in my opinion was a good trainer in the end who could assess my dog's behaviour properly and wasn't hooked up on using only particular methods, we had some huge immediate progress.

My dog is great now and has no adverse reactions from having corrections to train out his dog agro, he's is calm around other dogs and behaves exactly as I need from him. Yes, he did cop a few corrections in the process, but really who cares when now he is not dog agro anymore and is a safe reliable pet. I commend my trainer who did what he had to do to fix MY dog's behaviour and in comparison to the treat and clicker training we had done previously to fix his behaviour that didn't work, he no doubt needed another approach the way I see it.

I don't see either that all dogs are created equal in their ability to be trained. A friend of mine has a working line German Shepherd that has just got natural focus which he had from a puppy and makes my Amstaff look like a dumb bum in comparison. I don't think every GSD is as focused as my friend's dog is, but this particular dog is just easy to train with minimal effort at least compared with mine. What I am saying is that dogs all have different needs and qualities and their own individuality and I don't think any particular methods work on every dog and people and trainers who think so for my liking have a too narrow vison to train all types of dogs.

Edited by Donegal

Cheers,

Nathaniel

I am pretty certain these are illegal in NSW.

Section 16 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979 No 200 states it quite clearly:

16 Certain electrical devices not to be used upon animals

(1) In this section:

electrical device means a device of a type prescribed by the regulations.

sell includes:

(a) auction or exchange,

(b) offer, expose, supply or receive for sale, and

© send, forward or deliver for sale or on sale.

(2) A person shall not:

(a) use an electrical device upon an animal,

(b) sell any electrical device, or

© have in his or her possession or custody any electrical device.

Maximum penalty: 250 penalty units in the case of a corporation and 50 penalty units or imprisonment for 6 months, or both, in the case of an individual.

(3) Nothing in subsection (2) prevents a person from:

(a) using an electrical device upon an animal belonging to a prescribed species, or

(b) selling or having in his or her possession or custody an electrical device for use upon an animal belonging to a prescribed species.

Schedule 1 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (General) Regulation 2006 list the devices that are illegal. They include:

Any other device producing an electrical discharge that is used in such a way that the animal in relation to which it is being used cannot move away from the device

However, I am sure a lot of people still use them in NSW. I am not personally against them. But I wouldn't use them if they are illegal.

Edited by Odin-Genie