Debarking In Sydney

3Dachshies

How do we know she lives next to whole families? I must have missed that part. Or don't singles and childless couples live in suburbia anymore? I was raised by a single-parent shift worker, and used to shift-work myself. Trust me, it ain't that hard.

Good lord, you really can't win with some people. Ok, I'm walking - this thread seems to just be turning into pointless back-and-forth. Anyone who would like to continue discussing is welcome to PM me... I'm not sure the turn that the conversation is really adding to the thread.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggested moving. Apparently that's unrealistic. *shrugs* Hey, it's all groovy. De-barking for all. You've opened my eyes. The shame I'm feeling right now is unbearable.

And my handle has nothing to do with "teacup" breeds. There go those assumptions again...

Stop taking everything so seriously people - take a deep breath and smile. I promise, it feels good!

Actually you suggested:

There is always the option to move to a less suburban area...

Ah, that would be one of those areas with fewer jobs and long commutes. I find that a tad unrealistic. Moving doesn't solve the problem - it relocates it.

Facts are TW that people exercise a non-surgical option for dealng with barking dogs every damn day. As a rescuer, you'd be all too familiar with how they do it - they offload the dog. :laugh:

So many dogs that are offloaded as problem barkers die. But hey, it sure beats surgically debarking them. :rofl:

Edited by poodlefan

My inclusion of puppy-mill de-barking methods was in response to a query from another poster on this thread.

Thanks. That was me. I had no idea that happened.

I'm with poodlefan, though. You've lumped someone in suburbia in with a pupper miller even if you didnt mean to. It's actually good that you're walking because you're not adding anything to the conversation although I do thank you for answering my question.

How do we know she lives next to whole families? I must have missed that part. Or don't singles and childless couples live in suburbia anymore? I was raised by a single-parent shift worker, and used to shift-work myself. Trust me, it ain't that hard.

Good lord, you really can't win with some people. Ok, I'm walking - this thread seems to just be turning into pointless back-and-forth. Anyone who would like to continue discussing is welcome to PM me... I'm not sure the turn that the conversation is really adding to the thread.

LOL so its ok for singles or childless couples to have to drug themselves to sleep.

LOL so its ok for singles or childless couples to have to drug themselves to sleep.

Apparently. :rofl:

My inclusion of puppy-mill de-barking methods was in response to a query from another poster on this thread.

Thanks. That was me. I had no idea that happened.

I'm with poodlefan, though. You've lumped someone in suburbia in with a pupper miller even if you didnt mean to. It's actually good that you're walking because you're not adding anything to the conversation although I do thank you for answering my question.

TW did not make any connotations whatsoever between the OP and puppy millers. How is it that some people will totally twist and turn everything simply to win an argument ??? Hardly fair, is it???? At the end of the day, people are entitled to their opinion! If TW does not agree with debarking then it is entirely her prerogative, she is not exactly a law unto herself.....If people want to get on their soap box then perhaps a change of direction is called for.....RING THE RSPCA who are entirely responsible for making it hard to have one's dog debarked !!!

Having having said this....I do think it is silly to expect people to drug themselves in order to make themselves impervious to dogs barking, I dont see why I should have to become a medicine cabinet in order to deafen an incessant dog's bark, lol.

Edited by Moselle

TW did not make any connotations whatsoever between the OP and puppy millers. How is it that some people will totally twist and turn everything simply to win an argument ??? Hardly fair, is it???? At the end of the day, people are entitled to their opinion! If TW does not agree with debarking then it is entirely her prerogative, she is not exactly a law unto herself.....If people want to get on their soap box then perhaps a change of direction is called for.....RING THE RSPCA who are entirely responsible for making it hard to have one's dog debarked !!!

TW said:

Call me old-school but I don't like the notion of de-barking (yeah, I know, I know... being put down for barking isn't fair to the dog either). Maybe I just have too many negative associations with it because of the de-barking that's done on a lot of dogs in puppy mills (again, I know there's a difference between properly-done de-barking by a vet and what puppy mill butchers do, don't jump down my throat anyone!

I'm not "twisting" anything. TW associates the practice with puppy mills and therefore objects to anyone doing it.

TW is entitled to his/her opinion. I am equally entitled on a discussion forum, to debate it. I have abided by forum rules. If TW wants to throw his/her bike in the bushes and leave the thread how is my conduct "unfair". :rofl:

Edited by poodlefan

You're just trying to have an argument with me because you have an issue with my parents (yes I wont forget that in a hurry, Moselle). The OP asked a question based on her own dog, not what opinions were about debarking - some people answered it. Let's stick to that, shall we.

Edited by raz

TW, I can see why you might feel that it is just barking and it can't really harm anyone, perhaps you are similiar to me in that when I hear dogs barking all day it doesn't really bother me, and I'll generally sleep through it at night. But play back ground music all day or leave the telly going in the background and I will be extremely irritable and snappy. It annoys the crap out of me to the extent I feel like I can't even think. So it is not hard to imagine that that is how others feel when dogs constantly bark.

If a dog's needs are being met and the owners have given behaviour modification techniques a good go, then there is not much left to do except de-bark.

Edited by Lucy's mama

You're just trying to have an argument with me because you have an issue with my parents (yes I wont forget that in a hurry, Moselle). The OP asked a question based on her own dog, not what opinions were about debarking - some people answered it. Let's stick to that, shall we.

Raz, the fact of the matter is that I am noticing that you are in the habit of twisting the truth....this has nothing but NOTHING to do with your parents at all! They're not doing the talking, you are. I know that you gave me a torrid time and accused me unjustly and it is unfortunate that you are doing the very same thing right here in this thread. Fair crack of a whip, hey???

Edited by Moselle

Oh, and for anyone who was actually interested in knowing - puppy mills generally use a variety of methods to de-bark; most common are cutting or "shanking" the vocal cords (without anaesthetic, usually with a knife or screwdriver), heavy blows to the throat, or by ramming a metal pipe down the dog's throat.

I'm not "hammering" anyone. I simply wonder at what point do we draw the line at modifying an animal's behaviour and body for the sake of human convenience? I live right next to two barking dogs, and I've never felt the need to whine about the noise - earplugs, turn up the stereo, get out of the house and do something else. Mind you, after being at the shelter, I barely even notice it when a dog barks anymore, I kind of just tune it out. I'm not a big fan of complainers, particularly if they're neighbours. My opinion is that if someone has the time to complain, they've got time to do something useful - like help fix the problem.

Unfortunately, in this day and age people live in close proximity to one another. Some noise pollution as a result of that is inevitable. I don't understand why people get so worked up over a little noise (and this is coming from someone who has a neighbour who regularly has loud, obnoxious parties). People today just seem to have no tolerance for anything that they perceive to inconvenience them in the slightest way. Is it really that big a deal? Can't we all just get along for god's sake??? I mean, with all the war, genocide, rape, ethnic cleansing and generally horrible sh*t in the world, people would rather focus on petty carp like whether their neighbour's dog barks too much.

I despair for the human race sometimes, I really do.

I think the thing to remember, is that all people are different and respond to things differently.

I work with barking dogs every day in the clinic and to be honest, there are some dog barks/whines that make me want to drink the bottle of lethabarb. I am by no means desensitized to the sound, in fact, probably the opposite. I learn to tolerate it at work because it's my chosen profession but there are times when I simply have to leave the hospital area for my own sanity.

My neighbour has two Min Poodles that both have very loud, 'yappy' barks. Whenever they see or hear their owner from their pen, they bark so loud it sounds like they're in my kitchen. They can go for a good 20mins, sometimes up till 11pm. It's not the fact that the bark is loud, its just the actual sound. It's so grating on my ears it physically changes my mood. The same sound over and over again is like having water dripped on your head constantly.

For me, the constant sound of a dog bark, or any other repetitive noise, is not 'a little noise'. There's a huge difference, IMO, to the sound of loud music coming from a neighbour, to the sound of a barking dog. Atleast with music, the sound changes - it's not repetitive. It's annoying because it interferes with what you're trying to do, but I personally don't find it as grating as the constant repetition of a dog barking.

If I had a dog like this myself, I really don't know what I would do, but I certainly would consider debarking if all avenues had been explored. I choose to own dogs because I get a lot of enjoyment and love from them. I'm not sure myself or the dog would get a lot out of a relationship if there was a constant stress such as barking going on all the time.

If I had a dog like this myself, I really don't know what I would do, but I certainly would consider debarking if all avenues had been explored. I choose to own dogs because I get a lot of enjoyment and love from them. I'm not sure myself or the dog would get a lot out of a relationship if there was a constant stress such as barking going on all the time.

Very wise words, Stormie.

I'm with Stormie - I have worked with dogs for 12 hr days, and there are some dogs whose bark is at the pitch where it goes straight through you and you want to strangle it :( (especially after 12 hrs straight of it barking) and other dogs who can bark for a while and you don't even notice it.

u know whats even funnier?

all this agnst over debarking. n so many thinking it should be totally banned.

guess what folks.

judy guard isnt being prosecuted because the dog was debarked solely.

have u forgotten?

the rspca debark dogs. they are quite ok with you "exhibiting" any dog debarked by them or by their rules.

their agnst is that judys was done in another state.

:):(:laugh::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :D

THIS IS HER CRIME

if she had had the rscpa slit their throats open and rearrange em she would still be showing away. NOT FACING massive fines, no longer allowed to be a member or breed or show pedigree dogs again... pretty big penalty. without remembering if they want add 84 years jail time on top.

it that aint overkill for an op they do themselves what is? :rofl:

her crime was she used her vet in nsw, who doesnt cut their throats like the rspca prefers, remember.. they were flying in an expert at judys costs to ascertain if the dreaded through the mouth op had been done instead of their preferred method.