Prong Collar Query

kathq

Was talking to someone last night at a trial and they mentioned that they are unable to find anywhere in CCCQ regulations about the use of prong collars. Said I would ask on here for them.

I was absolutely certain someone would be able to quote chapter and verse for me where it states the controlling bodies position on them.

thanks in advance..

Its in the obedience rules and with DogsNSW under things like show regulations as well.

ETA

This was published in the DogsNSW May 2009 gazette

Electronic or Spike Collars

The use of Electronic Collars was banned by the ANKC in October

1998. Then at the ANKC Conference held October 2007, the ban

on the use of Spike Collars was included. This ban relates to all

members of an ANKC State Controlling Body and is relevant to all

events and training.

Edited by Janba

And remember - that's the Controlling Body's stance on them, not the law's.

The only place in the World where the use of the PPCollar has been made illegal is here in Victoria.

Even though no evidence of harm with the use of the PPCollar has been recorded.

Even though one can't say the same for just about any other collar (save for the e-collar, I think).

Hey Kath, there was a thingy in the QLD dog world some time ago (either last year or this year I can't remember) stating that they were banned by dogsqld. They are legal to use in QLD but not allowed by dogsqld so can't be used at any dogsqld affiliated club or event. Some clubs will still allow them to be used discreetly but don't make that known.

You'd have to look through the memo sections of every dog world since the start of last year to find it though... I'm sure it was early in the year but can't remember which year!

• 10 months later...

Its in the obedience rules and with DogsNSW under things like show regulations as well.

ETA

This was published in the DogsNSW May 2009 gazette

Electronic or Spike Collars

The use of Electronic Collars was banned by the ANKC in October

1998. Then at the ANKC Conference held October 2007, the ban

on the use of Spike Collars was included. This ban relates to all

members of an ANKC State Controlling Body and is relevant to all

events and training.

Where can I find this in writing please?

The actuall rule in the code of conduct thankyou, not heresay.

Have a read through the prevention of cruelty to animals act. I think you will find that the use of Prong and all electronic collars is deemed illegal under the act.

Its an interesting read actually because by definition any collar with a battery inserted would be deemed electronic by normal definition thereby making the use of barking collars illegal as well. Can't wait for that to be tested in court.

You will also find that their use is against ANKC regulations and a review of their website should locate it.

Actualy I don't think that is correct. Prong collars are only illegal in Victoria.

E-collars can be used here in Vic as long as you have vet consent and are using it under the guidance of a qualified trainer. From memory you had to see the trainer every six months or so.

Tenatpride can you please post where in the act you believe it to state they are illegal.

Have a read through the prevention of cruelty to animals act. I think you will find that the use of Prong and all electronic collars is deemed illegal under the act.

Its an interesting read actually because by definition any collar with a battery inserted would be deemed electronic by normal definition thereby making the use of barking collars illegal as well. Can't wait for that to be tested in court.

You will also find that their use is against ANKC regulations and a review of their website should locate it.

They are quite legal (in a 'it doesn't say you cant' way) in QLD but then again so is debarking and shock collars.

Actualy I don't think that is correct. Prong collars are only illegal in Victoria.

E-collars can be used here in Vic as long as you have vet consent and are using it under the guidance of a qualified trainer. From memory you had to see the trainer every six months or so.

Tenatpride can you please post where in the act you believe it to state they are illegal.

There are different rules for different collars in different states. I got a full layout of this with one company I deal with (for my business) to ensure that I sell the right items and not break any laws.

I know many that use pinch collars, I used them all the time on difficult dogs, during the transition to a correction chain and then half check. No biggie when used correctly, and no different than any other collar/harness/leading device. All can cause injury when used incorrectly.