I Need A Good Camera

Dju

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They're talking about shutter lag and all P&S cameras will have that.

The Olympus is negligible, depending upon your settings. Certainly a MAJOR difference from my Sony Cyber-Shot.

I found it worse on my Olympus than my Lumix.

Shutter lag is apparently one of the things they addressed in the SP600-UZ. It was only released in Feb this year, I got mine in June and I've found it very good so far. It has a burst setting which is very effective unlike many of the other P & S cameras.

As I said, I'm going to be watching Trafford with interest when he has a play with it on Thursday....he was very keen on it after reading the specs.

It looks to me, average P&S quality.

Blame the lousy photographer for that. I'm not saying they're good photos or good QUALITY photos....just showing the difference between saving as a PNG and saving as JPG.

And as I said originally, I only posted so that the OP could see a range of different things that they could probably do a lot better than me with the same camera.

I don't portray myself as a photographer, I don't aspire to such things and I CERTAINLY wouldn't want to even attempt to compete with any of you absolutely amazing photographers now would I? :eek:

And editing to add: yet another part of the forum to stay out of. DOL is losing its appeal more and more every day. :wave:

Edited by ellz

:eek: I hadn't even considered saving as anything other than jpg .

Hmmm....

Mine seem to print out at A4 ok as jpg. Must try themat something else..TIFF,as lightroom won't accept PNG.

Lightroom won't accept PNG? :eek::wave::love: NO MY DREAMS SHATTERED!

And editing to add: yet another part of the forum to stay out of. DOL is losing its appeal more and more every day. :eek:

What are you talking about? Seriously...you posted photos to show the quality of the camera, I said it seemed pretty average (ie normal, the norm) for a point and shoot camera.

If you're really fussing over "quality" then you need a compact that will shoot RAW. That is the only way to get the most of a file as if you're not shooting RAW, your camera has already ditched a whole lot of info. I personally import all of my RAWs as dngs, another lossless format.

I can't say I know any photographers who default for photo work to png - other visual art work, yes. Photos, not really.

But if you aren't going to control what your camera captures you're missing a big piece of the puzzle for "quality", frankly.

jpg is an output format - it's what you share on the web and often what you send in for print. It is also the capture format for a huge number of cameras - including the highest end dslrs. yes, jpg has some downsides, but edit on a copy (most create a psd coz that's what layers like) and save as a new file - the loss of quality is so minute that you will not be able to discern the difference. And there are about a zillion articles from respected sites/photographers who have exhaustively tested the jpg save and resave thing and doing it once isn't going to destroy the file :eek:

Your budget may not be realistic for what you are looking for - everything in photography is a compromise so you may need to make a list of your priorities then see what matches up most closely. good luck.

Oh & btw - editing in Lightroom on any format? Non-destructive :)

Edited by kja

Oh well I do LIKE a HQ camera, but that Olympus shot of the flower on the first page looks really impressive to me so it's not like I'm completely anal about it.

Priority is:

Quality

Battery type

Compactness

And all under $300 :eek: It shouldn't be unattainable, really!

Not to dis on any particular shot but you really can't tell diddly squat about quality on web sized posted images - you need to see the originals/high res files to truly tell. I could post an image from a low end point & shoot, a mid range point & shoot, an entry level dslr, a mid range dslr and a high end dslr on the web and you wouldn't reliably be able to tell them apart at web size if I shot properly in the first place. It's the magic of posting to the web - you can often post an image that wouldn't be quite as fab in print LOL kinda like shooting video underwater - it always looks better than it really did on the dive itself :eek:

Once you narrow cameras down, I'm sure those that have them could send you or link you to originals/high res and there are some review sites out there that have the high res versions to help - I think dpreview.com does? Really depends on how much effort you want to put in for finding that quality gem!

Me? Ultra-compactness and image quality were my two biggies and that's why I chose the baby Canon. I was happy to trade off RAW, manual controls, control over my flash and a whole host of other things to keep the size & weight down. I love Bubba and it's never let me down! (oh, and it came in a really cool green colour :) )

I dunno, the photo looked sort of professional to me when most of them look really amateur. If it's true you can't really tell, then I'm pretty much screwed :eek:

I like quality and battery type--hate AA batteries.

Sorry, it's true. A mediocre/bad image from any camera can look great (I know, I've been known to post crap that looks great on the web LOL) while an image from a high end camera that hasn't been shot or prepared properly will look crappy. The high res or original file is the only way to truly tell.

The Canon G10 is a great camera btw :eek:

Edited by kja