Safest Wormer For Pregnant Bitch

blondeborder

All I can tell you is when I lived in Queensland and Heart Wormed monthly I would Worm the bitches with broad spectrum wormer ie = Drontal etc.

But as the all the dogs were on Ivermec for Heart Worm and Ivermec also does stomach worms I would still continue with the monthly Heart Worm procedure through out the pregnancy.

I would re worm the bitch again with a stomach wormer when I did the pups at 2 weeks.

This procedure has never had any adverse effect on the bitch or the pups.

Forgot to say I wormed the bitches as soon as I saw them in season if they were to be bred with.

Edited by oakway

Thread hijack!!! but same question really...... I have a bitch who could be 19 days pregnant. She needs worming, my fault should have been done previous to mating.

What do I do? leave her until babies are born or worm her now?

Is Drontal considered dangerous to pregnant bitches?

Don't want to risk her health or more importantly babies if there is a chance that the worming tablet could do harm

All I can tell you is when I lived in Queensland and Heart Wormed monthly I would Worm the bitches with broad spectrum wormer ie = Drontal etc.

But as the all the dogs were on Ivermec for Heart Worm and Ivermec also does stomach worms I would still continue with the monthly Heart Worm procedure through out the pregnancy.

I would re worm the bitch again with a stomach wormer when I did the pups at 2 weeks.

This procedure has never had any adverse effect on the bitch or the pups.

Forgot to say I wormed the bitches as soon as I saw them in season if they were to be bred with.

I was using Ivermectin before I think (Advocate).?, but wasn't too sure how safe it was for pregnant bitches. So I have been to the Vet and they put me on to revolution for fleas and heartworm which is apparently better tested. Think I'll just worm her with drontal now( She's just starting to show signs of being on heat), and then use the revolution later on in the pregnancy, instead of the Advocate.

I'm only part way through the parasitology subject but at this stage - don't worm her until the pups are 2 weeks old then do both her and the pups every 2 weeks until they are 8 weeks old. Worm them regularly with the normal products until 12 months. Thats where I'm up to - but the information does indicate that we are headed down the same track with worming that we have done with vaccinations - we do it to much and it is starting to show in imune resistance. The studies indicate that we need to change the way we think about worming and with intestinal worms and only worm when necessary (test them first)....But like I said - I'm not finished with the subject yet. :laugh:

I'm only part way through the parasitology subject but at this stage - don't worm her until the pups are 2 weeks old then do both her and the pups every 2 weeks until they are 8 weeks old. Worm them regularly with the normal products until 12 months. Thats where I'm up to - but the information does indicate that we are headed down the same track with worming that we have done with vaccinations - we do it to much and it is starting to show in imune resistance. The studies indicate that we need to change the way we think about worming and with intestinal worms and only worm when necessary (test them first)....But like I said - I'm not finished with the subject yet. :laugh:

You may also find that it also depends on where you live in Australia and what time of the year it is.

Wet season or dry.

Also the type of soil can have a big effect to.

Some North Queenslanders have to worm fortnightly at certain times of the year.

Phone & ask the vet. I wouldn't give a pregnant animal any kind of medication without checking first.

My pregnant cat caught a bird. There was bird guts & a big worm on the floor, panic.

The vet said Milbamax was safe for cats but many wormers were not safe for use in pregnancy.

Realised afterward the worm may have already been in the bird guts & that's why the cat left it :rofl:

Phone & ask the vet. I wouldn't give a pregnant animal any kind of medication without checking first.

My pregnant cat caught a bird. There was bird guts & a big worm on the floor, panic.

The vet said Milbamax was safe for cats but many wormers were not safe for use in pregnancy.

Realised afterward the worm may have already been in the bird guts & that's why the cat left it :laugh:

Sorry Christina but the Queen may have already had Toxo,.my paranoia....

Having recently lost puppies to hookworm, in Qld...because mother could not have her due Ivamec dose while pregnant....I would certainly worm a pregnant bitch right through depending where you live. If you look at any of the online vet products you will see there are a few worming tabs that are suitable for pregnant bitches and puppies. You can always Revolution a pregnant bitch. With all the rain most of us have had recently worms are quite prolific, for all livestock.

Why not ? It only kills the worms so she doesn't pass them onto the pups. smile.gif
Having recently lost puppies to hookworm, in Qld...because mother could not have her due Ivamec dose while pregnant....I would certainly worm a pregnant bitch right through depending where you live.

Heard far more horror stories about bitches wormed and losing pups than situations as described by Sharonpuggywuggy above - sorry to hear about your girl :laugh:

As others here have mentioned, I worm the bitch prior to mating and again when the pups are 2-3 weeks. As I worm my dogs once every 3 months, the timeframe is the same as usual except the bitch ends up being wormed "out of sync" with my 3 month intervals :laugh:

Having recently lost puppies to hookworm, in Qld...because mother could not have her due Ivamec dose while pregnant....I would certainly worm a pregnant bitch right through depending where you live. If you look at any of the online vet products you will see there are a few worming tabs that are suitable for pregnant bitches and puppies. You can always Revolution a pregnant bitch. With all the rain most of us have had recently worms are quite prolific, for all livestock.

I have while in Queensland heart wormed ALL my dogs monthly with Ivermec.

Pregnant bitches included.

All of my friends that used Ivermec for heart worm also continued to worm their pregnant ones with NO effect on the bitch

or the pups.

I have used this product (Ivermec Sheep and Goat) for over 15 years on the dogs with NO harm what so ever.

Most of the monthly tablets/chews can be based on Ivermec.

How sad to read the above sharonpuggywuggy

I have ALWAYS wormed bitches as soon as they come in season, then again 1-2wks before they are due to have the puppies. Never had any problems and never had puppies poo out worms. I worm the bitch again once pups are weaned and start worming puppies from 2wks of age. I use Drontal tablets and liquid.

I have while in Queensland heart wormed ALL my dogs monthly with Ivermec.

Pregnant bitches included.

All of my friends that used Ivermec for heart worm also continued to worm their pregnant ones with NO effect on the bitch

or the pups.

I have used this product (Ivermec Sheep and Goat) for over 15 years on the dogs with NO harm what so ever.

Most of the monthly tablets/chews can be based on Ivermec.

How sad to read the above sharonpuggywuggy

Ok..didnt know you could Ivermec a pregnant bitch....thanks for that info....which means the whole tragedy was avoidable.

Grrrrr.

I have ALWAYS wormed bitches as soon as they come in season, then again 1-2wks before they are due to have the puppies. Never had any problems and never had puppies poo out worms. I worm the bitch again once pups are weaned and start worming puppies from 2wks of age. I use Drontal tablets and liquid.

The puppies that had died of Hookworm were wormed with Drontal liquid. :laugh: