Advice Only :)

Staffygirl88

You said I sounded resentful. That's not a clarifying question that's a statement. I'm not asking for your sympathy, but I don't want nasty replies and your reply falls in the nasty bin. So if you've got nothing nice to post then don't post at all.

For pity's sake - did you read the next sentence? It was a question.

However, I'll take my nasty self off elsewhere. Best of luck with your pup.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG :rofl: Staffygirl88 grow up! You've been given advice, someone asked if now might not be the right time for a pupy, now we find out you had a puppy and rehomed it because it wasn't suitable and now this thread...

I can see the outcome of this being the same as your pevious puppy, there IS a right time to get a puppy, you are wrong to make the statement that there is not.

You've been offered advice, don't carry on like a school girl when someone posts something that you don't like.

It is afterall a PUBLIC forum and everyone has their opinion whether you like it or not.

Ohhhh :rofl: it was you who started the puppy frustation thread not so long ago that got locked - expecting too much from the puppy etc and then you got pissed off when several of us suggested returning the puppy to its breeder!

Now you're complaining AGAIN about bonding...

I think the puppy should be returned to the breeder for its own well-being :eek:

Edited by Aziah

Doesn't seem so strange.

When I got Banjo it was love at first sight. With Luda while I always liked her I never felt like I had the connection and was even starting to dislike her a bit becuase she was very pushy with Banjo. Now she has chilled out and I have really connected with her and I love her :laugh: (all this took 3 1/2 months)

lol I dont feel like I love or have a connection with my nephew/ neices- does that make me a bad person? haha

Doesn't seem so strange.

When I got Banjo it was love at first sight. With Luda while I always liked her I never felt like I had the connection and was even starting to dislike her a bit becuase she was very pushy with Banjo. Now she has chilled out and I have really connected with her and I love her :laugh: (all this took 3 1/2 months)

lol I dont feel like I love or have a connection with my nephew/ neices- does that make me a bad person? haha

OT but I'll answer anyway - your nephew/neices don't live with you and don't depend on you personally for a stable upbringing of both mind and body.

ETA: not bonding with a particular dog doesn't make you a bad person but you are a bad person if you never make that bond and keep the dog anyway. If there's no love then a suitable home should be found, it is, afterall, all about the well-being of the dog.

Edited by Aziah

Doesn't seem so strange.

OT but I'll answer anyway - your nephew/neices don't live with you and don't depend on you personally for a stable upbringing of both mind and body.

ETA: not bonding with a particular dog doesn't make you a bad person but you are a bad person if you never make that bond and keep the dog anyway. If there's no love then a suitable home should be found, it is, afterall, all about the well-being of the dog.

sorry for going OT and yeah I agree.....

OP just give it some more time :rofl:

Doesn't seem so strange.

sorry for going OT and yeah I agree.....

OP just give it some more time :rofl:

No I didn't mean it was bad OT I was just pointing it out incase people wondered what the hell I was going on about :rofl:

What are you doing differently with this puppy vs the last puppy? What did you change before getting this pup to try to ensure the transition was smoother and this pup was a better fit?

What sort of activties are you doing to bond with the pup at the moment? :laugh:

I agree u sound extremely resentful towards your puppy. I'm not real sure what you were expecting but part of dog ownership IS picking up their poo, cleaning their mess and taking them to the vet when they are sick.

If you are resentful for having to do these things then you shouldn't have a dog right now. Sorry if that sounds harsh but that's my Acvice to you.

Staffys are very smart, energetic dogs who need committed owners. There ABSOLUTELY is a right time to get a puppy and the time isn't right for you.

Sometimes taking advice means accepting things you don't want to hear.

ok im lost is this no the same pup she is now talking about or am i missing something

This is the same puppy that Staffygirl88 started the 'Puppy Frustrations' thread about BUT it turns out she returned a puppy prior to this due to the puppy being 'high energy'...

...continues to preach that there is 'no perfect time to bring a puppy into your home' and we all know that's a load of hogwash!

Yes i am also feeling a bit confused and lost now too. Are we still talking about the blue Amstaff pup? What was the pup that was rehomed?

I think it is a pretty hard call to make to rehome a pup- obviously you want to give it the best chance to find another more compatible home (and younger puppies tend to find homes easier) but at the same time i really don't feel 13 weeks is old enough to make that decision.

I would give the pup till at least until 4/5 months to settle in and bond to you, unless you absolutely can't stand it and feel very angry with the pup all the time.

Why don't you go to puppy school or obedience class together. Finding a good school/teacher who can help you learn how to get your dog to work really well with you would great for you guys I think.

I find training, even trick training at home a very rewarding experience for both of us.

Aussielover yes talking about the CURRENT Am Staff puppy...

No idea what breed the previous pup was but here's the post about it...

I gave away a dog probably four months before I got Topaz. He was too high energy for me and my son, he was always hyper it was unreal!

The OP doesn't want to give up the dog but still obviously has unrealistic expectations.

:thumbsup: Some fires burn slow. It was a good 6 months before I bonded with my older dog. Even then, it took another 6 months to really blossom, and it continues to grow and change as he gets older. He was a very, very easy puppy and has grown into an easier dog. I adored him, but it was a long time before we really started to matter to each other on a deeper level. It didn't bother me in the slightest. The last baby animal I'd raised was a hare, and it took about 8 months to start seeing him as a creature that could be comprehensible, and several more months before we really started to understand each other. It wasn't until he was about 18 months old that we had made something special together. It took so long to understand him that once I did I fell hard for that animal. I am still wild about him 5 years later, and he pretty much actively avoids me. In contrast, my younger dog is 18 months old and we bonded in a matter of weeks. He was an utter charmer and I found I just got him. He's kinda like me. :rofl:

I think you just give it time. I expect it to take at least 6 months to get to know an animal. I've never not eventually found a connection, though. Sometimes it just takes a long time, and sometimes when I've made that connection I've found the animal doesn't suit me very well, but I've got to learn who they are before I know that.

OMG :D Staffygirl88 grow up! You've been given advice, someone asked if now might not be the right time for a pupy, now we find out you had a puppy and rehomed it because it wasn't suitable and now this thread...

I can see the outcome of this being the same as your pevious puppy, there IS a right time to get a puppy, you are wrong to make the statement that there is not.

You've been offered advice, don't carry on like a school girl when someone posts something that you don't like.

It is afterall a PUBLIC forum and everyone has their opinion whether you like it or not.

Why don't you get all the facts before you make judgements then.

Ohhhh :D it was you who started the puppy frustation thread not so long ago that got locked - expecting too much from the puppy etc and then you got pissed off when several of us suggested returning the puppy to its breeder!

I think the puppy should be returned to the breeder for its own well-being :laugh:

How was I complaining? And the Puppy Frustration thread was because the breeder led me to have high expectations. Your entitled to your opinion as is everybody in this country. You can post whatever you like on here, but I'll no longer read it or reply because I have NO time for people such as yourself.

What are you doing differently with this puppy vs the last puppy? What did you change before getting this pup to try to ensure the transition was smoother and this pup was a better fit?

What sort of activties are you doing to bond with the pup at the moment? :D

I have never given away a puppy. I had to give away my dog, he was 3

We have training sessions every day with lots of treats and praise, I'm still working on getting her to walk on leash but we're making progress. And play time with myself and my son

Edited by Staffygirl88

:laugh: Some fires burn slow. It was a good 6 months before I bonded with my older dog. Even then, it took another 6 months to really blossom, and it continues to grow and change as he gets older. He was a very, very easy puppy and has grown into an easier dog. I adored him, but it was a long time before we really started to matter to each other on a deeper level. It didn't bother me in the slightest. The last baby animal I'd raised was a hare, and it took about 8 months to start seeing him as a creature that could be comprehensible, and several more months before we really started to understand each other. It wasn't until he was about 18 months old that we had made something special together. It took so long to understand him that once I did I fell hard for that animal. I am still wild about him 5 years later, and he pretty much actively avoids me. In contrast, my younger dog is 18 months old and we bonded in a matter of weeks. He was an utter charmer and I found I just got him. He's kinda like me. :D

I think you just give it time. I expect it to take at least 6 months to get to know an animal. I've never not eventually found a connection, though. Sometimes it just takes a long time, and sometimes when I've made that connection I've found the animal doesn't suit me very well, but I've got to learn who they are before I know that.

We have our last puppy class on Wednesday night and hopefully after that I can take her to obedience classes and things like that to socialize still.

My last dog was really easy to bond with as a puppy but he reminded me of my childhood dog :o

I'll give it more time because we make a little progress every day and that's gotta be a good thing

Ohhhh :D it was you who started the puppy frustation thread not so long ago that got locked - expecting too much from the puppy etc and then you got pissed off when several of us suggested returning the puppy to its breeder!

I think the puppy should be returned to the breeder for its own well-being :laugh:

How was I complaining? And the Puppy Frustration thread was because the breeder led me to have high expectations. Your entitled to your opinion as is everybody in this country. You can post whatever you like on here, but I'll no longer read it or reply because I have NO time for people such as yourself.

You have GOT to be kidding right?

Aziah is a well respected breeder, exhibitor and mentor to many who has been a part of this forum here for much longer then you and many other newbies who think their shit don't stink. The lack of respect you show toward both Aziah and poodlefan is not needed and only makes you look worse. If your not bonding with your pup; try bringing it into the home instead of leaving it outside to it's own devices. Let it be a part of your family and enjoy the pup rather then resent it when it does things you don't want it too. Don't try and say you don't leave it outside because you said so yourself that your child asks for the dog and that it's eaten piping in the backyard.

Look after your pup, love it and enjoy the time it is a pup. Soon it will become a destructive adult dog and I for one will be playing the "I told you so" tune. If you want to get any friends or respect on this forum i truley hope you heed my advice and not act like a naughty brat child and ark up at the well respected members of our forum.

I didn't say anything about giving a pup away- i asked what you were doing differently. You can't do the same thing as with the last pup and expect a different result. :rofl:

Maybe have a look at the tricks in the training forum and start teaching a few- tricks can help to speed a bond along a bit as can some puppy massage.