Yummy Kibble For A Slightly Fussy Eater

koalathebear

I was always told to use something different and of higher value for training any how, is that not the way any more? (thats a genuine question I havent been to an actuakl obedience class in 2 years) I train with cheese or cut up sausage or anything other than what they normally get.

Me too :thumbsup:

She gets special treats in new or distracting environments and kibble at home or at the local oval. She loves kibble!

My other dog always gets special treats because he won't work for kibble :laugh:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always told to use something different and of higher value for training any how, is that not the way any more? (thats a genuine question I havent been to an actuakl obedience class in 2 years) I train with cheese or cut up sausage or anything other than what they normally get.

I take my kibble to obediance and use that to train with there, now this is because I went through beginners and a bit afterwards trying every treat possible cheese, roast chicken, cabanossie, hot dogs, devon, chunkers, steak etc and I could wave them infront of his face as often as I liked and got no respone, now he wasn't getting breakfast that morning and his dinner got cut in half the night before soi by all accounts he should have been hungry and intrested. As I moved up a class he grew a little bit more intrested in the treats but not by much and his kibble got changed to advanced as he wasn't doing grate on hills and since he was so intrested in the advanced kibble at home I brought it to training to try and it worked amazingly. Now the point is you use what ever works so for my backwards dog kibble has a higher value then some other foods so we use that to train him and get odd and disaproving looks sometimes. At obediance class you are supposed to use a reward that your dog wants in a distracting enviroment so for most people that is treats but at home in a less distracting enviroment with a hungry dog kibble normally works as a training treat if they are intrested in their kibble, so from my impressions KTB is just looking for types of kibble that would gain enough intrest to be used for part of the at home training.

I am another that normally splits the dogs meal into two, not always even and do training with one bit and then feed the other bit in his bowl so that he relises that he has been fed and doesn't keep asking for his dinner.

I feed deakin dental large breed advanced dry and he loves it

Watson is on rehydrated advanced puppy and he isn't wow let me at them, but he does like them enough that they can be used as treats when there are not many distractions

My two work for kibble. Elbie learned all of his tricks with kibble - we use another treats now and then but just to make things more interesting for him and make him more keen to learn. An example of some of his tricks is

- he didn't need anything fancy.

Hoover's learned to sit, drop, shake and speak with just kibble - I just think we'd get more from him if we found a kibble he likes as much as Elbie loves his kibble.

Edited by koalathebear

My dogs work for kibble but that's because it's not what they are normally fed :) They generally get wet food (raw or canned for Tango)

I used to use Eagle Pack, then I switched to Natures Gift but I didnt like the effect it had on Pepper's skin (she seems to get itchy on it tho she's fine with the canned if she gets some of that). I'm about to try Artemis. Oh and they like the natures gift strappy treat things which I can pick up cheap from Chicken Feed.

Edited by spottychick

KTB, I'm sorry that the focus of your thread seemed to get lost. I hope you find a kibble that Hoover likes.

:laugh: You're a darling. :) It's ok, I got the info that I needed and we'll have some Royal Canin and Advance for the monsters to do a Taste Test.

OH and I will continue doing training over dinner - it's when they're most motivated, we can tell that they have fun ... They eat out of a bowl no problems ... they're healthy, happy, intellectually stimulated. I'm not sure we could ask for more, so as far as I'm concerned, there's no reason to stop something that's worked so well for us. I'm not saying other people should do it - it's just something that's worked for us and Elbie's focus and tricks have gone really well - in my view anyway.

Hoover's

are definitely not as polished as Elbie's yet but they're certainly very cute and enthusiastic. :laugh:And yes, that is the evil Hills Kibble that Hoover is trying to gulp out of my hand ;) Edited by koalathebear

KTB, I'm sorry that the focus of your thread seemed to get lost. I hope you find a kibble that Hoover likes.

:laugh: You're a darling. :) It's ok, I got the info that I needed and we'll have some Royal Canin and Advance for the monsters to do a Taste Test.

OH and I will continue doing training over dinner - it's when they're most motivated, we can tell that they have fun ... They eat out of a bowl no problems ... they're healthy, happy, intellectually stimulated. I'm not sure we could ask for more, so as far as I'm concerned, there's no reason to stop something that's worked so well for us. I'm not saying other people should do it - it's just something that's worked for us and Elbie's focus and tricks have gone really well - in my view anyway.

Hoover's

are definitely not as polished as Elbie's yet but they're certainly very cute and enthusiastic. :laugh:And yes, that is the evil Hills Kibble that Hoover is trying to gulp out of my hand:eek:

We had big problems with advance ;)mainly resulting in very sloppy, yucky poo

A few of the other on the lab thread have also found the same thing.

It didn't get lost at all, people gave their opinions on what dry food they recommended...

For the last time it IS a PUBLIC forum people are VERY entitled to giving their opinion :laugh:

I agree with RSG - the RC Medium Junior is very good.

Hey KTB - just want to let you know we're now on royal canin medium junior. The biscuits are small - but they're still 'workable' - if you know what I mean. They're much less crumbly too.

I was so worried with the small biscuits that he wouldn't chew them and just inhale them. Funny thing to watch him now, crunch crunch crunching away.

I have to say I like the food - and so does Max - and I never would've considered him fussy! This morning he actually started drooling as I was getting his breakfast out - have only seen that once before, and that was a case of 'really hungry'.

And, what seems so important, poos are good. I thought they were good on Hills (*gasp*), but they're better now. Smaller and harder. However, seeing as how someone decided eating a piece of a blue deflated balloon this morning at obedience would impress everyone (I could've died - 'er, you better get that off him', the instructor says, 'errrr too late', says me..... :thumbsup: ), I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on the poos over the next few days. I'm a bit worried, but he's previously eaten some red balloon that he found in our yard (I have no idea where it came from) and it seemed to migrate through his GI tract no worries... (I only knew about it when it came out the other end....).

It didn't get lost at all, people gave their opinions on what dry food they recommended...

For the last time it IS a PUBLIC forum people are VERY entitled to giving their opinion :thumbsup:

I agree with RSG - the RC Medium Junior is very good.

Giving their opinion on types of dry food, yes, as that was what the original poster was asking for. However, she also got other people's opinions on other things too.

KTB, Petbarn sells RC. With the 15kg bags, when you buy 10 you get one for free! Sounds like a lot but we go through heaps of food with the two of ours.

They have sales regularly, the normal price is about $40 for the 3kg bag and $120 for the 15kg bag. When it's on sale the big bags are about $90.

take him to better pets or whatever large store is near you and do a taste test :)

Funnily enough today we were given some Advance samples and some Nutro samples for the doggies to do a taste test. The feedback about Royal Canin seems very good so we're happy to switch over to that once our bag of Hills is done.

spoiled little man :thumbsup: very very lovely though, was just reading your other thread !

Thanks. Both our doggies are very spoiled I fear but we are very conscious that they're working line dogs living in our home as pets so we're quite careful to try to keep them both mentally occupied. That's why in addition to obedience, walks and games, they have to work hard for their kibble and do tricks and commands. I know it's not for everyone, but it's what works for these two - Elbie in particular seems to thrive on having a 'job' to do and he's super-focussed when working for his kibble.

KTB, Petbarn sells RC. With the 15kg bags, when you buy 10 you get one for free! Sounds like a lot but we go through heaps of food with the two of ours.

They have sales regularly, the normal price is about $40 for the 3kg bag and $120 for the 15kg bag. When it's on sale the big bags are about $90.

Even if you only buy the 3kg bag (which is what I have been getting) the same thing applies I think- buy 10 bags, next one free.

That's why in addition to obedience, walks and games, they have to work hard for their kibble and do tricks and commands. I know it's not for everyone

a girl after my own heart :rofl: with the rest if there is any it goes in a kong :lollipop:

• 2 weeks later...