Obsessive Licking Of Legs

kwirky

Hi,

I have an 11 yeear old golden retriever who is obsessively licking his front and back legs. I bandage the areas and cover with leg warmers (baby ones) and he is relatively ok. The second they are off (even if just needing to be changed) he goes mad for licking.

There is nothing physically wrong with him, he developed this after needing a bunch of tests in December last year when he had pain in his back. The pain has been identified and treated, however the licking keeps going.

When we are home we are able to distract him, then praise him when he stops. But he is alone during the day.

Anyone with a similar experience? How do we stop him from hurting himself?

Thanks

My boy licks his legs when they're sore.

If you think it's mental then you can try calmers like Troy Behave Paste, Rescue remedy - however one would think if it were mental he'd just rip the covers off you put on.

Edited by sas

I am wondering if it is connected with the problem in his back ..

Dogs lick to try & relieve pain...and IMO a low grade fairly constant ache/tingle may well have the poor dog licking to try & soothe it .

I know you said there is nothing physically wrong - which is why I asked what the diagnosis was ..and treatment :rofl:

Did they do scans/xrays?

Did he see a chiro?

Was/is he on medication?

All the extra bits of info helps us to 'see' your dog better :laugh:

Hi,

He had xrays and mylegram (dye into his spinal cord) and all were clear. In the end a different doctor diagnosed a pulled or torn illeopsis muscle (the one that runs from rast rib down). At this time they eliminated arthritis, however I keep giving him Flexicose (liquid glucosamine) which he has had for the past year or so.

At the time he was limping and had difficulty getting up.

He had an injection of pain killer which helped in a few hours and then he was on a 1-a day pain killer (sorry don't knwo the name) which was specifically targeting his muscles. This helped immensly and he went back to his normal self.

The licking happened then and the vets believe it is anxiety due to his pain etc.

I'd be thinking there's some pain where he's licking too. Especially if he's never done it before.

Have you tried giving him massages? There's some great videos on T-Touch that I used on my boy who had lick granulomas - helped him a lot.

Hello,

What videos did you use? Would love to try this. (Plus would be great bonding time)