Herding Talk Thread

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations on your passes. Your girls are going very well.

Cole was a sh***t. He did get a pass at advanced B and the only nice part was the shed. I retired him in advanced A when he decided to try to drive the sheep from 5 to the Y shute. Rule now is "you ignore me, you don't work" and I'll walk out immediately. He only had 3 small offlines to that point but as I don't need any more advanced A passes I am aiming now for perfection :rofl:

Hehe.... We were like, hmmmmm no more sheep for Cole. He did look a little bit sad, but I suppose all males do when they realize they don't know EVERYTHING! :laugh:

I didn't see your B Course run. What a looooooong day (insert sleepy emoticon)

It was a long day and I left before the end.

B course was ugly - he's getting worse but did manage a score of 83. The shed was one of his best after not managing it for the last 4 trials.

He has been working really well in training but just wouldn't listen today though I suppose when looking at the score sheet he was heading for a qualification in the 90s when he reached 5.

Edited by Janba

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, that things that excite. I get to go train on sheep today!! It has been over 12 months since Jazz has had a training opportunity on sheep. Going to be back to basics and some remedial work I think after her poor effort on ducks last weekend.

Jazz is a beautiful worker to watch, lovely style but she has big gaps in her training due to lack of opportunities to train and the fact that she has so been such a natural worker that it was easy to let her go through the levels without really working on things. Now I am finding when on the ducks that she won't come off balance or stresses when I ask her to and ends up dive bombing them. Of course working towards intermediate we really need to work through this.

Ah, that things that excite. I get to go train on sheep today!! It has been over 12 months since Jazz has had a training opportunity on sheep. Going to be back to basics and some remedial work I think after her poor effort on ducks last weekend.

Jazz is a beautiful worker to watch, lovely style but she has big gaps in her training due to lack of opportunities to train and the fact that she has so been such a natural worker that it was easy to let her go through the levels without really working on things. Now I am finding when on the ducks that she won't come off balance or stresses when I ask her to and ends up dive bombing them. Of course working towards intermediate we really need to work through this.

:thumbsup: I love watching border collies herd, they have such a different (and I think cooler) style than the other dogs I've seen (but don't tell that to my kelpies ;) )

Piper what's the general area (north/east/south etc. of the city) where herding training is run in SA? We might be moving to Adelaide in the next year or so and we've love for out kelps to get some sheep-time. We will probably be in the NE hills when we first move back.

I'm home and had fun, so did Jazz. She did some good stuff and needed some reminders too but not surprised about that. Thrilled with her cast though, we had to go collect the sheep out of the paddock and she did a much better job than I expected bringing them in.

Weasels, there is a private trainer in Meadows and another near Gawler. Today I went out to the place we have access to for trials and basically hired the sheep for an hour or so as the owner knows me, my dogs and my skill level so is happy for me to do so by myself. He doesn't run lessons or anything there though.

Here is a short video of her fetching sheep out of the paddock:

Edited by piper

The only issue with the guy near Gawler is he is a crop farmer so has times when he is not available due to cropping or harvesting. He is a kelpie man though :) (Actually both trainers are kelpie owners).

• 4 weeks later...

our herding weekend is on sunday, with duck and sheep runs..

hopefully sooty behaves and gets his duck title...

Hi Sherlot, I only sent my entry for the trial off on Monday :o , do you think there'll still be room for 2 kelpies?

We need another PT pass under a non-Steph judge.

Good luck with Sooty! :)

our herding weekend is on sunday, with duck and sheep runs..

hopefully sooty behaves and gets his duck title...

Hi Sherlot, I only sent my entry for the trial off on Monday :o , do you think there'll still be room for 2 kelpies?

We need another PT pass under a non-Steph judge.

Good luck with Sooty! :)

I'm sure you'll fit in.. we try to fit all tests in.. if it was a trial, we might not let you..

so you entered under sue then I guess... I'm not judging this weekend!

I'm sure you'll fit in.. we try to fit all tests in.. if it was a trial, we might not let you..

so you entered under sue then I guess... I'm not judging this weekend!

Great, thanks! Just tests for us, not ready for trialling yet :) Maybe next year.

ETA: yep I put AM test on the form, it says in canine news that one is Sue

Edited by Weasels

Shae and I got our HT a few weeks ago, not really a huge achievement in the grand scheme of things, but I'm pretty proud of her. I see it as the first rung of the ladder....hopefully there'll be a few more titles sometime down the track. She is now known as Borderton Dappled in Shade HT.

Shae and I got our HT a few weeks ago, not really a huge achievement in the grand scheme of things, but I'm pretty proud of her. I see it as the first rung of the ladder....hopefully there'll be a few more titles sometime down the track. She is now known as Borderton Dappled in Shade HT.

GayleK that is great, you should be proud! :thumbsup: And good luck with your titles yet to come :D

We skipped the HT cos our dogs work better with more space, so ours just have their instint certs. Hopefully by Sunday they will both have their PT - if they run as well as they did one their first pass should be no problem :thumbsup:

I joke that soon my OH will be the only one in the family that doesn't have letters after his name :laugh: (not to his face tho.....)

We had a crack at PT, Shae was perfect in training, she moved those sheep along nicely, did some lovely stops, we navigated the penning like a pair of old hands......then came the trial. Oh my god, she acted like she'd never seen sheep before and had never been allowed in a paddock.....she went absolutely feral! You know how dogs in trials have a tendency to embarrass their handlers.....well, she pulled that little talent out of her hat, then when I called her off, she came trotting up to me and strutted out of the paddock with me like she was 10 feet tall and supersonic. Little bugger she is.

We had a crack at PT, Shae was perfect in training, she moved those sheep along nicely, did some lovely stops, we navigated the penning like a pair of old hands......then came the trial. Oh my god, she acted like she'd never seen sheep before and had never been allowed in a paddock.....she went absolutely feral! You know how dogs in trials have a tendency to embarrass their handlers.....well, she pulled that little talent out of her hat, then when I called her off, she came trotting up to me and strutted out of the paddock with me like she was 10 feet tall and supersonic. Little bugger she is.

Oh no! although sorry but I did lol at your description :o ...... :laugh: