Herding Talk Thread

Dova, I am sure you will be fine!! You have been putting a lot of work and effort and I am quite sure it will show. You are bound to be way more prepared than me!!

Piper is in 2 runs - 1 each day and Jazz is in 4 runs - 2 each day. That will be enough by the time I judge, race around moving stock, setting up and doing all the other committee stuff needed as well.

We spent a few hours out there last week marking the grounds out and planning it all so hopefully it all goes smoothly. Just hope we marked everything out right...

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know, your dogs are not bad so if they do fail it won't be by much. If they do we can sit in the corner calling the waaambulance and blaming the dodgy sheep :laugh:

:rofl: Yep your on, I'll bring the chocolate, Lindt of course, only the best, & drown my sorrows :thumbsup:.

It's only 4 days till the SA champs & I'm starting to wonder "what the hell was I thinking :confused:" entering Izzi in the inter A & started B, getting the feeling we'll be coming home with 4 fails, ah well gotta start some where. I've got chocolate, the good stuff, ready to drown my sorrows :laugh:. Looking forward to giving it a go though :D.

Dova just go out with the aim to have fun and you'll be fine!

My goal in my first intermediate run was to test out one element of my training, which was the turn around C and drive away (only wanted a few steps). It worked so well we got around the whole course :laugh:

Good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by superminty

My goal in my first intermediate run was to test out one element of my training, which was the turn around C and drive away (only wanted a few steps). It worked so well we got around the whole course :laugh:

Unfortunately Murphy's Law stepped in & fixed it, guess I'll have to wait till next year :(, was looking forward to doing the B & Inter A so am dissapointed but I'll get over it :D.

Unfortunately Murphy's Law stepped in & fixed it, guess I'll have to wait till next year :(, was looking forward to doing the B & Inter A so am dissapointed but I'll get over it :D.

What happened? Is everyone ok?

eta by everyone, I mean you and your dogs :-)

Edited by superminty

Oh Dova, I hope everyone and everything is ok? That explains your quick stop in today, you should have let me know and I could have made the trip out to you to collect the crook.

Summary of today - not a lot of runs but we expect B course day to be quieter. No passes by any dogs on ducks. We have never run B course ducks before. Piper failed at the pen - just couldnt get them in there but I learnt a few things with that run and Jazz had the benefit of that and did manage to pen but had unfortunately run out of points. I also discovered that the hold ring with ducks is damend hard work - those buggers just dont stop easily!

B course sheep - Jazz crossed on the outrun and I swore at her for it. LOL. She was correct though and I should never have sent her the way I did, after that she put in a really lovely round. Lost 7 points on the outrun and had a total score at the end of 89.5 so thrilled with the rest of her work (and in fact after she crossed she completed a lovely shaped outrun and quiet lift!). That gained her High In Trial for today. :)

Trial 2 which is A course tomorrow :)

Well I am still buggered today after 2 long and busy days. Jazz however seems to have recovered well and is bouncing around as though she has had no exercise at all rather than the hours and hours of work in the mud yesterday!

I had Piper in Advanced A ducks and had a good run but missed attempts at the Y, happy with how she worked though. The ducks were sure there was something deadly in the mouth of that Y and just did not want a bar of it. Normally once they are on the fence it is quite easy to get them in there but not these 5. Jazz was then in Inter A ducks and gained a nice solid pass and ended up State Champion on ducks as the only qualifier over the weekend.

Next up Jazz had a run on Inter A sheep and got to the Z but just could not get the heads to turn and get them through. We had them in the mouth several times but couldn't get that last bit. Very happy with her work though as she really doesn't like confrontation and she did an awesome job hanging in there and applying pressure to the sheep but the best we could get was 2 turned. thrilled though that she didn't revert to her usual behaviour when the going gets tough and revert to fetching them and instead held her drive line for me and took the small inside flanks I was giving in an attempt to reposition them.

After that Jazz moved to the wet, slippery, muddy yards and was stock dog for the remainder of the day. She did a great job in there as well with splitting sheep, moving in small pens and up and down raceways as well as taking them approx 50 to 60m each run out to the set up point. When we decided to bring a second flock in for the test levels, I sent her out into the paddock and she went the full length (around 250m) without me needing to go further than the gate. I love working her and that I can turn my back on her and go where I need to go and know that she will have found the stock and will fetch them sensibly. Saturday afternoon we even used her to move around some non dog broke lambs and she was just as sensible with those as she is with the dogged down stock and soon had them working towards me and standing calmly just 2m off of me.

State Champion sheep went to a lovely working kelpie from started.

Most Versatile Worker to Jazz meaning I got to bring the beautiful shepherds crook I donated home with me :)

Can't wait to see Jdavis's photos - hopefully she will share them on here. She spent the whole weekend snapping away.

I'm still buggered as well! The dogs worked well even when the sheep were sticky and the rebel ducks rebelled :thumbsup: Now I've seen PT I can work on that at home and be ready for the next trials. I've been working on action shots and it paid off, there are some nice shots in there.

I took around 1500 photos so what I'll probably do is pick the best 4 or so from each run, plus the ones of setting up, winners at the end of the weekend and portraits. When is the next deadline for the newsletter so I can get it done before then?

I'm still buggered as well! The dogs worked well even when the sheep were sticky and the rebel ducks rebelled :thumbsup: Now I've seen PT I can work on that at home and be ready for the next trials. I've been working on action shots and it paid off, there are some nice shots in there.

I took around 1500 photos so what I'll probably do is pick the best 4 or so from each run, plus the ones of setting up, winners at the end of the weekend and portraits. When is the next deadline for the newsletter so I can get it done before then?

The club newsletter they can be whenever. Not sure what the dogssa journal cut off date is but even if we just had the winners photos for that and maybe a working shot of each?

We really appreciate it :)

Actually, can I be a pain and get you to give me a list with the runs you want shots from for DogsSA. I have them in order for each day, but can't remember which runs were the best from each section. I don't trust my memory!

Thats ok. PM me your email address and I will send you a list :)

What happened? Is everyone ok?

eta by everyone, I mean you and your dogs :-)

After Izzi went to the vet last Monday then spent all Thursday & today in there I at least know where her problem is, lower back, the vet's coming here Monday to see her work, do an out run at least, then hopefully I'll find out if Izzi will continue working towards her Advanced or have a short herding career, :crossfingers: it's the former.