Is There Much Fat In Chicken Necks?

LDH

My 11 year old BC has been on a strict diet since suffering an acute episode of pancreatitis about 18 months ago when we almost lost her :scared: She is on Hills I/D prescription diet and is doing really well on it. The only thing is her teeth are suffering because she can no longer have bones. She has raw carrots now which help a little but I thought chicken necks might be something else I could add to her diet. Of course I just don't want to risk another episode of pancreatitis. Is there much fat in chicken necks? Would they be appropriate for a dog with pancreatitis? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any advice :eek:

My 11 year old BC has been on a strict diet since suffering an acute episode of pancreatitis about 18 months ago when we almost lost her :scared: She is on Hills I/D prescription diet and is doing really well on it. The only thing is her teeth are suffering because she can no longer have bones. She has raw carrots now which help a little but I thought chicken necks might be something else I could add to her diet. Of course I just don't want to risk another episode of pancreatitis. Is there much fat in chicken necks? Would they be appropriate for a dog with pancreatitis? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any advice :eek:

It would depend on the necks but I would think they would be too fatty in those circumstances. Roo tail might be a good thing if you can get some, it's a lean meat on those bones.

If it's only chewing you need, get some deer antlers - absolutely fat free and months of chewing.

Check with your vet but raw bones (ie all) might be too much if she is currently on the ID food.

Our dog has been on ID food for a month after she had a reoccurance both times she's had gastro and after that we introduced things one at a time and then waited to see if she was ok or not. And anything introduced was done very very gradually (as in a treat a day, then later a tiny amount of non ID dry food, etc). That way if somethign didnt agree it was only a small reaction which would right itself within a day not a full issue.

Our s no longer gets bones and the other chewable treats are no good for her so in her case she gets her teeth brushed a couple of times a week - however she was very easy to train to get use to it.

My 11 year old BC has been on a strict diet since suffering an acute episode of pancreatitis about 18 months ago when we almost lost her :thumbsup: She is on Hills I/D prescription diet and is doing really well on it. The only thing is her teeth are suffering because she can no longer have bones. She has raw carrots now which help a little but I thought chicken necks might be something else I could add to her diet. Of course I just don't want to risk another episode of pancreatitis. Is there much fat in chicken necks? Would they be appropriate for a dog with pancreatitis? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

My Sheltie also has bouts of pancreatitis and is often on ID. Other than that he can manage Purina One dry food without any problems. Occasionally I feel sorry for him and let him have a treat such as a chicken neck or wing and every time he ends up sick from the fat in it. I have noticed that he tolerates the rawhide strips ok but I don't know whether they benefit his teeth.

Laura