Alternatives To The Elizabethian Collars

heroeswit

My pup is due to be spayed in just over a month and I remember reading a post about a collar that did the same thing as the elizabethian collar but it seemed to be just a head covering and allowed the ears to go out the top.

If anyone knows the collar or post that I am talking aboout can you please direct me to the site/ post

Thanks

Edited by dwilds

Yep! That was me!! :scared:

I contacted that nice inventor bloke Tassie and he sent me one of his brilliant contraptions.

If you call him he is very helpful and will try to get the right fit etc for your dog.

Here's the thread

optivisor thread

and this is their website

provizor

If you ring him please tell him Tango's (the dalmatian) owner recommended him!!! :eek:

Edited by spottychick

if it helps

This is Tango in the Optivisor - you wouldn't use that tho for your dog - you'd need the novaguard

post-10457-1287885566_thumb.jpg

This is the one you need

novagard

Brocky%20002.jpg

ETA The plastic on that image is from the older design so I think they are now using the pastic you see on Tangos visor - it's clearer and stronger, but still kinda flexible.

Edited by spottychick

if it helps

This is Tango in the Optivisor - you wouldn't use that tho for your dog - you'd need the novaguard

post-10457-1287885566_thumb.jpg

This is the one you need

novagard

Brocky%20002.jpg

ETA The plastic on that image is from the older design so I think they are now using the pastic you see on Tangos visor - it's clearer and stronger, but still kinda flexible.

Tango looks so cute! he looks like he's going to do some welding or somehting LOL

How is the second one different form an ecollar?

I only used an e collar with my pup after spaying for the first 2 days after.

Heee hee he does look like a welder hahahaaha

The novagard has that bit on the head that holds the thing in place. Its on the optivisor too and it really is good because it means the collar doesnt move around and is nicely held in place and kept away from the face. It also allows the ears to poke through which stops dogs getting yeasty ears from the moist environment caused when wearing the usual collar.

Also, because of it's fit - ie that it doesn't have to come our AROUND the ears, it doesnt stick out as much as the e-collar, its closer into the face. Great for saving furniture, legs etc. When Tango had the horrible ecollar on he kept ramming into the door frame and busted it within 2 days. It ended up being more sticky tape than collar.

And those stripes on the front of it are indentations that make it easy to cut lengths off if you need to shorten it back to the dogs face a bit.

Excellent lillistar - he's really helpful. Say hi to him for me :D

The soft collars were no good for me. They are too flexible so they don't stop the dog from getting to bits they shouldnt be getting too.

ETA - I'm suggesting you tell him where you heard about him because he's struggling with publicity and I'm trying to convince him to advertise in the banner bit here :) He needs to know this is where people are finding him and why.

Edited by spottychick

Excellent lillistar - he's really helpful. Say hi to him for me :mad

The soft collars were no good for me. They are too flexible so they don't stop the dog from getting to bits they shouldnt be getting too.

ETA - I'm suggesting you tell him where you heard about him because he's struggling with publicity and I'm trying to convince him to advertise in the banner bit here :mad He needs to know this is where people are finding him and why.

I wondered about that with the soft collars. Was going to order one (haven't booked my dog in for desexing yet, but thought I should order something now to allow for postage times), when I found this thread and decided to get one from Tasi instead :)

I did tell him that you recommended him on here in my first email to him :mad I had trouble measuring my unco-operative puppy, so he asked me to try and take a photo of her head next to a common object. Uhhhh, common object? :D Eventually went with a box of cling wrap! :) My camera batteries chose tonight to die, so I hope the pics I sent him were useful.

• 3 months later...

I'm digging up one of my old threads but I'm just updating about my Novagard collar.

I got a small medium to start with but since I held off with getting my pup desexed I now need a bigger size and Tasi has been great initially when I was buying the first one and now when I need a new size.

If you need an after surgery collar this is a good idea

Pepper has a flea allergy, and sometimes scratches and bites himself extensively. I bought 2 different collars to prevent him from hurting himself (only used under supervision), and I am quite happy with both of them, they certainly look more comfortable than the standard plastic one I got from the vet.

1) this one, he wears at night. Got one from the website, and a second one (different size) from vet in West Ryde. This collar is harder to shake off than the Procollar:

http://www.petdirectory.com.au/?page=direc...1&section=1

2) Procollar: I use this one nice during the day. It is not as bulky, and when wearing it, Pepper does not run into furniture etc. Can easily eat/drink with it on, too.

http://www.petsplus.com.au/pet-shop.asp?id=1100

I am thinking of trying another one from Germany: http://www.der-tierkragen.de/

"Bitterant solution" (don't know its real name, sorry) worked well on one rescue girl we had spayed, I'd be trying that first before a bucket-head next time. Nice to know there are other alternatives to the Elizabethan though.

ETA am I the only person who ends up with bruises all over my legs, when there's an Elizabethan collar in the household?

Edited by Katdogs

Tasi was fantastic, but as it turned out, I didn't even use the one I bought :laugh: Ruby was fine after desexing with just a bit of Woundguard and Vicks around the wound to deter her.

Still, it was so cheap, and such a great idea. I'll keep it "just in case", but hope it's one of those things where you keep it and never have to use it :confused: