Question About Microchips And Contacts

MonElite

I found a dog yesterday afternoon a lovely belgian shepherd.

I took it to the pound in Carlton but it was closed it was 2.30-3pm so I went to the vets surgery next door and left him there.

I said that if the dog is not chipped to let me know and Ill be happy to notify the belgian shepherd club and help with finding the owner or new home for it.

I rang the vets/pound today and they said its all good, apprently the dog was chipped and the owner is picking it up today.

So the question - I assume the owner was only notified today. Perhaps its a wrong assumption...

But if my assumption is correct why wouldnt they be notified yesterday, is the microchip registry not open on weekends? or its something to do with the privacy or what?

I hope that this dog was not let out to walk itself and the owners couldnt be bothered looking for it..... but I dont think so, he was well looked after, clean, soaking wet from the rain and obviously scared and stressed. I had trouble catching it, then I stopped at home on the way to the pound to pick BF up and it escaped from my car, had trouble catching it again, but did eventually.

Boy was friendly enough, knew how to sit, and was very submissive, sweet thing.

Vet scans dog, chip details come up on computer screen, Vet contacts dog owner. They can do it right there in front of you although due to privacy regs, you would not be given access to viewing the details on the screen. The database is a computer based database so it can be accessed 24/7/

When working at the animal shelter, I was constantly surprised at how disinterested and casual some owners can be. You'd think they'd be over the moon that their missing dog is safe and couldn't wait to be reunited; but . . . .

Some people know the dog isn't going anywhere, and take their own sweet time to fit the pickup into their busy lives. Three or four days later, you might still be holding on to their beloved pet.

I never asked for the details, I just gave them the dog and said that I hope he is chipped, didnt even wait to see if he was or wasnt. I left my number with them and said that if the owner cant be found to contact me.

So its either that they couldnt be bothered looking for the owner, couldnt find the onwer yesterday or owner couldnt come yesterday to pick the dog up.

As long as the dog is gone back home that is all that matters.

I would love to hear from the owner, I said Im happy for the vet to give the owner my number.

But who knows, maybe they let the dog roam the streets and are p*ssed off at me for picking it up and taking it to the pound. They would have to pay a fee to get him out right? Does anyone know how much is it?

Usually the registry people are easy to get on to but sometimes it can be busy or there are computer issues etc then it can be delayed. Sometimes the owners don't answer when you try and contact them, sometimes they are really blase and don't care! Also I guess the vet clinic you dropped the dog off at could have been busy and slow contacting the owners...we only have a small amount of cages so thats usually motivating to get them picked up as early as possible lol.

There is a fee for the pounds but it depends on the area and also if the dog is registered.

We often get strays in our clinic, sometimes you just can't get hold of owners and sometimes they just take their sweet time to collect their pets.

Could have been away for the weekend or anything.

We charge a small holding fee to encourage prompt collection. Our fee is much much much cheaper than the council, and still some owners argue over it.

Their dog has in the meantime been fed, had a health check, had water, a comfy and safe bed and probably been walked too depending on how long it has been with us. People still complain. you'd think they would be thankful??? :lollipop:

if owners don't come and collect within a reasonable time frame we move them on the council and the owners can pay the fine. We can only keep them for so long as we have patients to care for.

but it surprises me time and time again, how little some people care that their dog has been out on the roads.

I would be beside myself and so super thankful knowing they were safe now.

I remember one guy on grandfinal day, we had 3 of his dogs (one pregnant), a nice member of the public brought in. We called him and he said he'd come and collect AFTER the football match, then he phoned and said he had drunk too much, could he come and collect them another day??

Errr..................NO :(

the pregnant girl had recieved a bath and a brush by our junior nurse and had all her mats brushed out. She looked a million dollars by the time she went home. He never thanked us.

We threatened to send them to the pound.

he turned up the next day to collect them and then ranted and raved and screamed at us over the holding fee charged per dog.

If he'd come to collect them immediately we probably would have even been happy to waive the fee.

people are strange. :rofl: