Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

Guest english.ivy

I went through similar the other week tlc .. lucky enough I was could still get hold of nutro. Now I have a bag of nutro in the house for a just in case moment.

Mine were fine switching from BH to nutro back to BH within a week :thumbsup:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got my sample bag yesterday and gave Jet a mix of BH & Advance for dinner. He actually picked out the Advance biscuits (which were 3 x bigger) and just scoffed down the BH. :thumbsup: He obviously likes it a lot more as he would usually turn up his nose to Advance and not eat straight away. Will report back after a week. Hoping it will limit the itching.

I emailed Kel on Friday afternoon and received a very generous sample this morning! :) talk about quick!

My dog was sniffing at the bag enthusiastically so I look forward to giving her some tonight! Will report back soon

Well I went and grabbed the bag of Canidae today :rofl: $35 for 2.27 kilos, that hurt a bit especially when I just bought 2 x 20 kilo bags of black hawk :p oh well you live and learn!!

Only just realized today that I have always thought Canidae was Canadie and I thought it was pronounced Can - a - dee.

What is the proper pronunciation is it Can - i - day?

Edited by tlc

Well I went and grabbed the bag of Canidae today :) $35 for 2.27 kilos, that hurt a bit especially when I just bought 2 x 20 kilo bags of black hawk :eek: oh well you live and learn!!

Only just realized today that I have always thought Canidae was Canadie and I thought it was pronounced Can - a - dee.

What is the proper pronunciation is it Can - i - day?

Thats Correct tlc

Caniday is the correct way to say it

Ah thanks. So is can Canidae (the name) a play on words "can a day"

Sorry bit OT here!

Canidae ( /ˈkænɪdiː/) [2] is the biological family of carnivorous and omnivorous mammals that includes the wolves, foxes, jackals, coyotes, and the domestic dog; a member of this family is called a canid ( /ˈkeɪnɪd/). The Canidae family is divided into the "wolf-like" and "dog-like" animals of the tribe Canini and the "foxes" of the tribe Vulpini. The two species of the basal Caninae are more primitive and do not fit into either tribe

Ah well that makes more sense, very interesting Annie!

First morning after giving her a little bit of BH... more droppings in quantity and in smelliness :S the stool was also softer than normal. Will keep giving it to her for a few days and see how it goes!

Guest english.ivy
First morning after giving her a little bit of BH... more droppings in quantity and in smelliness :S the stool was also softer than normal. Will keep giving it to her for a few days and see how it goes!

Her pooh will be softer while she gets used to the different food :confused: Her gut needs time to adjust.

Ah well that makes more sense, very interesting Annie!

I did a google myself a couple of months ago so I knew all about it :confused:

Good job, maybe I should have done that before jumping to stupid conclusions "can a day" :thumbsup:

Mine ate the Canidae, not with as much Gusto as the BH, will watch them today to see they don't have upset tummies.

Yea it was the grain free one, the four flavors one. The non grain free one was $30 so I thought might as well get grain free for an extra $5

Another OT question, dry foods with lots of grains in them, is it only used for a filler? Is there any benefit to grains, I have heard people say dogs ate everything in the wild but really did they eat grains?

I am a bit clueless when it ones to the ingredients and a bit of a follower as far as what's the best food. Also guided by if the dogs like and do well on a particular food as to whether I stick with it or not.

Another OT question, dry foods with lots of grains in them, is it only used for a filler? Is there any benefit to grains, I have heard people say dogs ate everything in the wild but really did they eat grains?

I am a bit clueless when it ones to the ingredients and a bit of a follower as far as what's the best food. Also guided by if the dogs like and do well on a particular food as to whether I stick with it or not.

I do not believe they need grains tlc - in the wild they may rip out and eat a stomach - containing partly digested grains.

The VAN all natural tries to simulate that by using fermented grains - not the same thing IMO.

Grains are fine in moderation - I will throw a bit of left over brown rice in their dish now and then - certainly not for any nutritional benefit, just because it is there and they like it..lol

I will feed bread to really skinny foster dogs - it will put weight on and make them think their tummy is full, but again they do not need it, it would be on top of what they need nutritionally. JMHO.

My little black greyhound has had a "seal" coat for the last 7 years - since I got her. SInce feeding the grain free salmon Canidae, she is now black and really really shiney - amazing as I thought she was just one of those black dogs that never really look black. Previously I was feeding EP holistic anchovy.

Edited by anniek

Guest english.ivy

I've read a few booked about people who have studied wolves and wild dogs, all state that the dogs ate the stomach lining and left stomach the contents.

I know BH has some grains in it but I just don't agree with other brands which are full of grains. Ie the Advance my OH feeds his dogs. My two get left over rice every now and then, well when I cook too much for myself :laugh: They also get the odd legume, for the same reason but never soy as I don't eat soy myself.

Isaak helped himself to some grains the other day....the bucket of wheat for the chooks. God knows how much he ate but it went straight through him. He couldn't possibly be benefiting from it because it came out looking the same as it went in.

I think with pet food, sometimes the milled grain (wheat, corn, millet etc) is used as a binder, to bind the other ingredients together.

My little black greyhound has had a "seal" coat for the last 7 years - since I got her. SInce feeding the grain free salmon Canidae, she is now black and really really shiney - amazing as I thought she was just one of those black dogs that never really look black. Previously I was feeding EP holistic anchovy.

Interesting you say this - my black (ish!) dog has the similar problem regardless of the food he was on - switched to the grain free salmon Canidae and his topline/neck blacker, thicker, shiny and softer.

Any links to seal coats?

I do not believe they need grains tlc - in the wild they may rip out and eat a stomach - containing partly digested grains.

The VAN all natural tries to simulate that by using fermented grains - not the same thing IMO.

Grains are fine in moderation - I will throw a bit of left over brown rice in their dish now and then - certainly not for any nutritional benefit, just because it is there and they like it..lol

I will feed bread to really skinny foster dogs - it will put weight on and make them think their tummy is full, but again they do not need it, it would be on top of what they need nutritionally. JMHO.

Anniek you keep this up l will have to make you head spokewomen for Canidae. LOL

Canidae Grain free salmon is our number one product for dogs with upset tummies and skin discorders

The amount of positive feed back we get, its great