Our Amazing Dog..........

noisymina

Last night my 23 year old son and I were alone for dinner. He had brought home some take-away roast chicken. Being a very hungry chap, he'd bought an entire family pack for the two of us. :clap: Yeh - the extra goes in the fridge for later.

They gave us a heap of roast potatoes - so as a treat, I'd taken one over and gave it to Kaisie, lying on her mat inside.

She was a bit fussy about eating it, even after I gave her the mandatory "OK" to eat.

I figured she was not used to eating inside and on her bed, so I got up, opened the door and said to her:

"OK. pick it up."

At which, she picked up the potato, got up, waltzed outside with it and proceded to eat it out there.

My son is sitting there looking astonished at my training ability and the dogs intelligence. :) ;)

Makes me feel like I must be better than I thought. ;)

yep, my advice was going to be that if your dog won't eat it perhaps you shouldn't either...but hey, in this case "job well done" :laugh:

Thank you. :)

Yes, we are still here to report that it was quite safe to eat. :)

Just not inside on the dog mat. :cheer:

Don't you just LOVE it when your Dog does what He/She's supposed to do :p

Yeh.

I have not been able to train her in a lot of things doggy as she seems very timid and unsure and runs off when i ask her to do a lot of things. A legacy of her past, I'm sure. But the little eveyday things she picks up. I've got her waiting at doors and gates for the go-ahead, and "targeting" eg she's got used to nudging a door open if it's part closed - instead of standing and complaining to get me to do it! :cheer:

DH has trained her to "ask" before she opens the screen door to come inside.

She would have been awesome if some bugger had not put the fear of doG into her at some point during her first 4 years. :cheer:

Don't you just LOVE it when your Dog does what He/She's supposed to do :p

Yeh.

I have not been able to train her in a lot of things doggy as she seems very timid and unsure and runs off when i ask her to do a lot of things. A legacy of her past, I'm sure. But the little eveyday things she picks up. I've got her waiting at doors and gates for the go-ahead, and "targeting" eg she's got used to nudging a door open if it's part closed - instead of standing and complaining to get me to do it! :cheer:

DH has trained her to "ask" before she opens the screen door to come inside.

She would have been awesome if some bugger had not put the fear of doG into her at some point during her first 4 years. :cheer:

She is awesome isn't she? You have shown her what love is and she has prospered from it.

My boy is the same. He is a very timid kelpie if you saw him with my OH you would sware he had been hit by him, it is very sad to watch. The truth is he is much loved and no-one in this house would do anything but love and pat him, he doesn't cringe with anyone else so it must be a male thing. It is all a product of his environment before he came to us. It took him a long time to let me pat him without being as still as a statue with his eyes closed. He knows we would never hurt him, but there must be some things that are instinctual to them when horrible things happen to them especially at a young age.

My boy is the same. He is a very timid kelpie if you saw him with my OH you would sware he had been hit by him, it is very sad to watch. The truth is he is much loved and no-one in this house would do anything but love and pat him, he doesn't cringe with anyone else so it must be a male thing. It is all a product of his environment before he came to us. It took him a long time to let me pat him without being as still as a statue with his eyes closed. He knows we would never hurt him, but there must be some things that are instinctual to them when horrible things happen to them especially at a young age.

Yes. I've never really had the skill/knowledge or even the need to try to push her. If something clearly puts her out of her comfort zone, I just ignore. Often it is not important. Some of it she has grown out of just through de-sensitisation. The vacuum cleaner, hose and broom monsters have been tamed! :(

She will now stand voluntarily and let me run the hose on her full bore - and she actually likes it!

Her first few baths took two people and a packet of treats.

As for teenage males, I wouldn't want to be one of them meeting her on a dark night. She has a distinct dislike of them. A male thing also - but only young ones. Some of them she will eventually warm up to - others don't have a chance. That has not changed.

T-Touch is a small miracle for dogs like that.

"OK. pick it up."
Lovely, Noisy. My dogs sometimes push the barriers and bring raw bones inside. I just point and say sternly, "Out!" and out they go ..... mostly with the bone, but sometimes without :D :D
Don't you just LOVE it when your Dog does what He/She's supposed to do :laugh:
That's for sure :rofl:
Doesn't it break your heart ?
T-Touch is a small miracle for dogs like that.
More info please.

I used to subscribe to her online newsletter. I find that my dogs are in heaven when I employ the circular movement, is it with thumb and first two fingers?? I'll have to subscribe again.

I've just gone and ordered the book (2 copies) and also the one for cats.

Next time they have bones, I'll try "Pick it up, Out!"

Edited by Mother Moocher

I used to subscribe to her online newsletter. I find that my dogs are in heaven when I employ the circular movement, is it with thumb and first two fingers?? I'll have to subscribe again.

I've just gone and ordered the book (2 copies) and also the one for cats.

Next time they have bones, I'll try "Pick it up, Out!"

:laugh:

"Pick it up" is enough. They can work out the next bit! :D

If you are on the ball, you can stand by the door, and stop them from going out without the bone.

Just as I used to stand by the door and stop her coming IN without her toy. That is how she learned "pick it up". :D