Metal Or Soft Crate? I Can't Decide

Bundyburger

His royal highness has just about outgrown his current crate. It's lasted him ages as he's now 13 months and still growing like a weed. He's not really liking the fact he has to duck to get in there :clap: Width is ok, he's just too tall!!We're also going to be doing lots of traveling over the next 12 months with our dogs, so I'm not sure if I'm best to go with a metal one again, or get a soft crate.

Our metal crate is really heavy and cumbersome to take down and put up again, so I was wondering if the soft crates are any easier? Do they take up as much space? How sturdy are they? Bundy will get halfway through the night and then decide to turn around... I don't want something that's going to collapse on him. Cost isn't an issue as I want to buy something that will last, but I'm just not sure of the best way to go. Buying a 'travel' crate and a 'home' crate isn't an option unfortunately as OH would kill me! I dread having to pack up the metal crate whenever we want to go away, I always end up with a jammed finger....

How does the size differ between the two? He currently has an "intermediate" crate from Petstock.. yet when I saw a link to a softcrate on COTD yesterday I think it was, the measurements were bigger than his crate but it just LOOKED more cramped. Bundy is going to be a big boy so I want to make sure he as lots of room. I've never seen a soft crate in person :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am not planning on buying one until after Christmas unless we get desperate.

Guest belgian.blue

Badger (male Pointer) has a metal crate in my room, he does touch the top when he stands up but tough. He only sleeps in there.

I bought him a xxxxxl soft crate for travel and sleep overs. I found the softy give him a lot more standing room.

I'd go with a softy if he is past the chewing puppy stage.

Our metal one is very heavy and my husband hates having to carry it at dog shows. The soft crate takes up less space, is much lighter, easier to manage and doesn't rattle in the back of the car like the metal one does.

But the dogs prefer the metal one cos they can see out.

I use the metal crate for crate games and training using the actual crate.

My two older dogs 'live' in soft crates at trials and sleep in old ones at home.

My pup has a soft crate, but it has been put on ice until she grows up a little. She has just discovered the joy of destruction and is not being trusted with anything.

For me - I'd be getting a metal one until you are 100% sure it will not be destroyed. If you are in that situation now and don't need a metal one for any reason I'd go with a soft crate - knowing I'll have to replace it in 18 months or 2 years. (We use them 5 or 6 times a week at training/trials etc.)

Cheers

Tony

Will the crate be used in the car or just at your destinations?

Destinations only.. and always inside and in the bedroom or laundry with a cover on top. As well as being used at home. He travels on the back seat of the car in a harness :laugh:

I am reasonably confident that if he was in a soft crate he wouldn't destroy anything, as he only destroys things when he is particularly anxious, and that's when he's outside for extended periouds or in the back room not when he's crated as he sees the crate as his 'safe' zone and will take himself off there.

Edited by Bundy's Mum

Destinations only.. and always inside and in the bedroom or laundry with a cover on top. As well as being used at home. He travels on the back seat of the car in a harness :laugh:

For ease of transport then, I'd be opting for a well constructed soft crate if he's not destructive.

Something like a K9Royale would be good - it has a steel frame and is very well ventilated.

I would say metal :cheer:

A soft crate is a lot lighter and you have less chance of "getting bitten" when folding up. They are sturdy enough for a crate trained dog and I've never had one collapse on a dog but I'm sure there are designs that are less sturdy than others. For dogs determined to get out of crates, or not yet trained, soft crates are not suitable. When travelling with my boys I either take the metal c-crate pen which they all fit in, or individual soft crates. I would never bother taking metal crates anymore, soft crates are so much easier IMO.

eta. I have had a soft crate roll over and nearly down a hill at a dog show, but that was with two dogs in it that were playing! The crate did not collapse at all though. You can peg them down.

Edited by FHRP

A soft crate is a lot lighter and you have less chance of "getting bitten" when folding up. They are sturdy enough for a crate trained dog and I've never had one collapse on a dog but I'm sure there are designs that are less sturdy than others. For dogs determined to get out of crates, or not yet trained, soft crates are not suitable. When travelling with my boys I either take the metal c-crate pen which they all fit in, or indivicual soft crates. I would never bother taking metal crates anymore, soft crates are so much easier IMO.

Good point FHRP - Securapens are great! :laugh:

Soft crates are great.. until your puppy decides to chew through the doors or just chew a huge hole in them in general! Not sure if I just had bad luck.. but my dogs seem to prefer their crates to chew regardless of how many chew toys and kongs they have. Blah :laugh:

Soft crates are definitely easier to move around though.. the ones we have just popped up and down in a matter of seconds!

A soft crate is a lot lighter and you have less chance of "getting bitten" when folding up. They are sturdy enough for a crate trained dog and I've never had one collapse on a dog but I'm sure there are designs that are less sturdy than others. For dogs determined to get out of crates, or not yet trained, soft crates are not suitable. When travelling with my boys I either take the metal c-crate pen which they all fit in, or indivicual soft crates. I would never bother taking metal crates anymore, soft crates are so much easier IMO.

Good point FHRP - Securapens are great! :laugh:

Nope.. he climbs out :) We don't know how but he learnt to climb out of pens when he was confined after his desexing. We'd get home to find an e-collared head greeting us at the window.. I was very grateful for the fact he loooves his crate after he started doing that :cheer:

I think I will definitely look into soft crates, thanks :)

Edited by Bundy's Mum

C-crate securapens have lids :laugh:

eta. I'd still go for a soft crate for just one dog though, much lighter and fold smaller!

Oooh really? I didn't know that :cheer: They look like they could be really useful!

I really want to see a soft crate first.. Pity I don't know anywhere near me where i can go look at one. I must see what I can find.

mine can unzip their soft crates very easily. My boy ate through the "gauze" of his soft one when he wanted to get out and do agility (it was his sister's turn). It was a high quality, expensive one.

Bundy lets himself out of his metal one very occasionally.. I don't think he's smart enough to be able to unzip it though :laugh: