Care Packages For Our Troops Puppies

mackenzie11

i wanted to send some chocolate as i thought it would be one luxury that they would not get, and some tim tams, choc coated lollies but with the heat was advised against it

How about one of those little tinned plum puddings?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wanted to send some chocolate as i thought it would be one luxury that they would not get, and some tim tams, choc coated lollies but with the heat was advised against it

only if it has a ring pull to open it as the troops would not have can openers, i know you can get the cakes/puddings in the plastic tubs though, so maybe one of those, just don't know how they would go about cooking the pudding though, can you get puddings that you don't need to cook and can have cold? so maybe xmas cake would be better

What a wonderful idea! :D

I have passed this on to my friends and on Facebook to my doggie friends.

Thanks so much for posting this. :laugh:

thanks very much, so much support on here from complete strangers, to send packages to more complete strangers, it truly is christmas when you see support like this

thanks again every one :D :D :rofl::cheer:

only if it has a ring pull to open it as the troops would not have can openers,

:laugh: They have can openers, mack. It comes with the army knives they're given but good idea.

I'm really excited about this - really great thread :laugh:

How is the labrador going with the returned soldier that a Doler hooked up? That was seriously really cute.

Yep, that is a wonderful idea and I'm going to spread the word through my workplace to do something as well. They will only send to the soldiers as I figure us DOLers will cover the dogs.

This is a practical way of showing our support. I for one have no real idea of how hard it is for them over there and what they do without.

this is exactly what i thought, our troops are doing it so hard, and the things we take for granted each day they are missing out on, it is wonderful that so many people here are going to send something across, i have bought moist wipes, dental floss, anzac biscuits, lollies, lip balm, creamy rice & spoons, puzzles books, dog biscuits, tug toy, just to name some stuff, got enough for 3 boxes, loads of little snack stuff that does not weight much, this way they get heaps in the 2 kg weight limit, 1 EDD, 1 male and 1 female soldier

Ohh! What a good idea! I didn't think of anything like puzzle books and such.

Umm, they don't really miss out on anything. When my son was in Iraq, I kept asking him what did he want me to send him....and everything I suggested, he said was easy to get over there. He had plenty of Aussie food, and really the only thing he wanted was some Bonds T-shirts as he had to have sleeves and he'd only taken singlets, and a couple of motorbike mags.

Pretty much everything else was quite readily available.

only if it has a ring pull to open it as the troops would not have can openers,

:) They have can openers, mack. It comes with the army knives they're given but good idea.

I'm really excited about this - really great thread :eek:

How is the labrador going with the returned soldier that a Doler hooked up? That was seriously really cute.

never new that, as i read in other care packages links (mainly from USA that they dont' allow can openers and so any canned good need to be ring pull) wish i had known this when i bought my stuff as there was so much more i wanted to buy but did not as it was not a ring pull can,

thanks for letting me know, i have done 3 boxes and hope to get some more done and will include more tin stuff

:)

Umm, they don't really miss out on anything. When my son was in Iraq, I kept asking him what did he want me to send him....and everything I suggested, he said was easy to get over there. He had plenty of Aussie food, and really the only thing he wanted was some Bonds T-shirts as he had to have sleeves and he'd only taken singlets, and a couple of motorbike mags.

i don't think it is so much that they are missing out on stuff as much as it is about people back here in aus thinking about them,

a package at christmas for a soldier who has no one thinking of him/her at christmas would surely cheer some one up who is in such a god for saken place, some one taking a little time out of their life to think of someone else makes that someone else feel quite special - even if it is a complete stranger.

thats how i feel about it anyway, so many other posters obviously feel the same way,

would you not feel special to wake up one day and have someone deliver to you for no other reason than "because they could" a hamper full of stuff that you never asked for, stuff to spoil yourself with???

i don't think it is so much that they are missing out on stuff as much as it is about people back here in aus thinking about them,

a package at christmas for a soldier who has no one thinking of him/her at christmas would surely cheer some one up who is in such a god for saken place, some one taking a little time out of their life to think of someone else makes that someone else feel quite special - even if it is a complete stranger.

thats how i feel about it anyway, so many other posters obviously feel the same way,

would you not feel special to wake up one day and have someone deliver to you for no other reason than "because they could" a hamper full of stuff that you never asked for, stuff to spoil yourself with???

There would still have to be soldiers not lucky enough to have someone at home willing and able to send them surprise packages and I would assume that the soldiers already receiving stuff from home will be less likely to take one of the boxes we send anyway.

It is the gesture that says we are thinking about them as well as the contents inside the box. I am going to try and make mine more festive now so it really is about spoiling someone. Or I might do something silly like say "There was a christmas raffle at work and you won it!" or do a 12 Days of Christmas kind of thing. I'm sure they will be well fed on Christmas Day but I'd like them to open up these boxes and go "OMG! Look at what someone has sent me!" Even if they don't use all the items they can swap or give them away.

It is winter in Afghanistan so perhaps some M&Ms would travel OK.

I think the chocolate warning was probably more for those wanting to send a parcel to guys and gals in Timor.

could also be just a general list that they put out for anyone sending packages ALL yr round, that way they cover themselves, as you would get family wanting to send packages at times other than christmas, just a thought