Tasmania Stronger Dog Breeder Laws

shortstep

Sorry was day dreaming and did not catch who was speaking.

On ABC radio "someone" announced that in Tassie, there would be much stronger dog breeder laws brought in over the next 12 months. That companion dog breeders across the state needed much more oversignt to prevent abuse. Also it was mentioned that the RSPCA would be given more powner needed to stop this abuse. There was one comment using the word 'large' scale breeders, but I did not get the impression they were singling them out for attack, they said 'companion dog breeders' over and over again.

Edited by shortstep

Good it's needed.

SP why?, what's wrong with dog breeders in Tasmania.

I live here and do no harm to anyone.

One of my bitches was Best Of Breed at the show show yesterday.

A lovely healthy well cared for litte dog.

I produce lovely, healthy well cared for dogs that give owners many hour of pleasure.

I obey all the rules and regulations and code of ethics, what more can I do to please people. ?.

My guess is it will be exactly what they are pushing for here in Victoria and if that's the case it will simply mean more puppy farms and far fewer small breeders. It will also mean small rescues will have to fold up as they will have serious problems with placing animals in foster homes as all foster carers and rescues will fall under the same laws. It will mean the RSPCA having the right to come in and seize anything they like without pressing charges while demanding payment for all expenses up front. Mean while you have no rights. They can hold the animal indefinitely and charge you for it, without ever needing to even charge you with anything.

The RSPCA has no ombudsman or overseer as it is, there's already issues that keep cropping up over and over. Why is it that people think that the police need someone keeping an eye on them but that the RSPCA who are being given the same sort of powers don't? People within the RSPCA are human and just as likely to be open to corruption or mistakes as anyone else, so why are they exempt from checks and balances?

My guess is it will be exactly what they are pushing for here in Victoria and if that's the case it will simply mean more puppy farms and far fewer small breeders. It will also mean small rescues will have to fold up as they will have serious problems with placing animals in foster homes as all foster carers and rescues will fall under the same laws. It will mean the RSPCA having the right to come in and seize anything they like without pressing charges while demanding payment for all expenses up front. Mean while you have no rights. They can hold the animal indefinitely and charge you for it, without ever needing to even charge you with anything.

Thas was my first thought as well. Pretty frightening.

It's all tied up with the companion animal act which was introduced a few years ago and is only now starting to be enforced. The 12 month time frame is the period of time until the compulsory microchipping laws are "officially" started. Many councils are having community meetings about Animal Management Plans to be introduced in some municipalities. This is to bring them into line with State legislation.

As for the RSPCA....considering the RSPCA here is in such a shocking state, I'll be very surprised if for the forseeable future, they can see past their own internal bickering to do ANYTHING much about actual animal welfare! :laugh:

Thas was my first thought as well. Pretty frightening.

To be honest, at this point in time, I really don't agree. Tasmania has always been behind the other states with regards to animal managment policy and legislation.

Allerzeit and her husband and I attended the Central Highlands Council Animal Management Meeting in September and were very pleased with the outcome. Whilst certain changes with regards to animal numbers and microchipping are being introduced, there is nothing terribly restrictive or draconian about other policies. Unlike other municipalities, unless a dog is declared dangerous there is no specification as to the required type of housing or kennelling. Kennel license are to be introduced alongside a limit on numbers HOWEVER these too are negotiable and do not require expensive planning applications and major building works to construct kennels.

Unfortunately, other councils are not quite as liberal. A 2 dog limit has been enforced in many/most council areas here for many years and in some municipalities the chances of getting a variation are next to nil. But this has always been the case, at least in my 24 year involvement with purebred breeding and exhibiting in this State.

The TCA Inc is quite active in supporting its members too so if there is anything of major concern, I would be very surprised if they don't start jumping up and down. It may not be a perfect organisation but it would be a very cold day in Hades before they would "sell out" their members in the same manner in which other State controlling bodies have done.

It's all tied up with the companion animal act which was introduced a few years ago and is only now starting to be enforced. The 12 month time frame is the period of time until the compulsory microchipping laws are "officially" started. Many councils are having community meetings about Animal Management Plans to be introduced in some municipalities. This is to bring them into line with State legislation.

As for the RSPCA....considering the RSPCA here is in such a shocking state, I'll be very surprised if for the forseeable future, they can see past their own internal bickering to do ANYTHING much about actual animal welfare! :laugh:

Nothing was mentioned about the companion animal act, microchipping or local shires meeting to discuss anything.

All I heard was, stronger laws will be brouight into place across Tassie concerning companion dog breeders, RSPCA will be given more power to take action against companion dog breeders.

However as so many others have said, I would guess that dog breeders in Tassie will be in just fine (as long as they do not breed).

I think Tassie will be the first state to be a dog/cat free state.

edited to add, Though I am sure the animal rights activists in Victoria will give them a good run for that distinction.

Nothing like a little rivalry among comrades to move things along!

Edited by shortstep

Amazing how you've heard it and you're in Qld, yet we in Tasmania haven't.....heard no less than 5 news reports today and haven't heard a whisper. We'll probably be the last to know as usual.

I won't be responding any more in this thread anyway because you will no doubt blame me for the situation. :laugh:

Ellz it's not your fault and I really hope you're right. I know I'm finding all the bs that's gone down in Victoria with dog related laws very demoralising. It really is getting to the point where dog lovers, breeders or not are getting rammed up against a bed of nails.

Right O, I heard a news report on the ABC this morning.

It basically said that the AGM was yesterday and something about micro chipping and mandatory desexing before being sold.

Tighter control on breeders. (I think)

Also somebody also said they would do better to leave breeders alone and look at bad farmer/farming practices.

Now that's about all I can remember.

I didn't think it was anything that we didn't know already.

It basically said that the AGM was yesterday and something about micro chipping and mandatory desexing before being sold.

Also somebody also said they would do better to leave breeders alone and look at bad farmer/farming practices.

That was not what I heard.

This was only about Tassie and only talked about stronger laws on dog breeders and RSPCA increased power. Was a short report, maybe 1-2 min.

I went to look at the station and it was ABC News Radio about 8 am, maybe 830 am.

That was not what I heard.

This was only about Tassie and only talked about stronger laws on dog breeders and RSPCA increased power. Was a short report, maybe 1-2 min.

I went to look at the station and it was ABC News Radio about 8 am, maybe 830 am.

Don't know and really don't care. Maybe they gave Tasmanian listeners a different report.

I know I did prick my ears up when they said about mandatory de sexing before being sold.

I have been searching for a press release about it to no avail.

I do remember them saying something about a woman called Joan who said basically it was not breeders but they (the RSPCA) should put their efforts into farmer/farming cruelty)