Bitches In Season - When, How Long, How Often.

The Spotted Devil

I get the sense from reading a bit in here that there appears to be a familial link with regards to bitches in season i.e. how young they first come in, how often they come in, the pattern of their season etc. Mothers and daughters and grandmothers seem to follow a bit of a trend. Is that the experience of breeders?

I ask mostly out of curiosity and interest.

It's something I have discussed with the breeder of our baby bitch puppy too as I don't want to spay her until she is physically mature (because of dog sports). I am ultra cautious as I really, really, really don't want want a litter of Springmatians and my Dally will remain entire. I may consider putting him on the implant for 12 months just to guard against it.

Thanks in advance :laugh:

I have 3 generations........ granma, daughter and granddaughter and they all cycle together.

They are all ready to mate at around day 11, granma and daughter conceived on day 11 and grandaughter is hopefully 4 weeks pregnant and conceived on day 11. Granma and daughter had 8 babies each, so expecting 8 from Sienna :grouphug:

eta I have an unrelated 3 year old girl who cycles with the girls too :confused:

Edited by Bokezu

Yes, mine follow the same pattern most of the time. Mine tend to have a first season at 5-6 months of age, Amber was the exception and was nearly 10 months old, her daughter went back to the same pattern as the rest of the family though.

The Giants (aunty and neice) were both 10 months for a first season.

So you can use family history as a guide, rather then a blue print or reason to panic if they aren't following the same pattern.

Fern's breeder told me her lines don't come into season until at least 16 months. Fern came in 1st at 16 1/2 months. Out of the 7 intact bitches in Fern's litter all came in around/after the 16 month mark bar one who did come in at around 12 months. This was a first for the breeder :laugh: Fern cycles every 10 months, as does her sister in Adelaide. Fern's daughter is yet to have her 1st season and is now 21 months old and lives with other bitches, one of which has just had a litter.

So yes I believe seasons etc can be influenced by "family lines"