*sigh*

Tapferhund

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, the rangers and police wanted the dogs off public areas as soon as possible. They decided the dogs had more potential for harm.

This sends a message to the owner - and to other similar owners, better than impounding the dogs and euthanasing them later would. The result is the same for the dog. Perhaps the owner will now improve his dog keeping.

Not the dogs' fault, the fault of the owner, but if several people learn from this, fewer people will be bitten, and fewer dogs euthanased.

These dogs ticked 3 important boxes of triggers for dog attacks.

1/ The dogs were a pack

2/ Dog/s had pups

3/ Dogs wer entire

Given that, and obviously inadequate fencing, a dog attack was very likely. Dogs which tick triggers must be contained.

No, not the dogs' fault - but owners need to receive any and every message by means they understand.

The number of dog attacks is not large, given the population, and the number of kept dogs. 90% of attacks are preventable.

they did also say that these dogs have been a problem in his area and have attacked before, not to mention been loose on the streets before too. Feel for the poor dogs that did not have a chance at a loving life, and what a a**hle owner they had

Its not a case of them not being tracked down........but a case of the way it was done....by sheer terrorising and cruelty. As to the dogs biting children.....one had its chance when it brushed past a small child . The dog was at its heoght of terror and did it bite? NO!!!!! And I for one am sick to death of fearful people jumping on the band wagon of "But what if it had been a child?"

I would also like to know what happened to the two puppies that big brave policeman captured when at the dogs house? He had one under each arm as he stormed past the camera ..with conquest written all over his face.

The pups did nothing and were at home when ONE of the three roaming dogs bite a guy.......and yet ALL dogs, including pups, have suffered inhumanly for it.

I too am so over dog attacks and the fools who own these dogs...but I am also over the knee jerk OVER REACTION by the authorities and media !!

Tapferhund, I didn't see any PitBull in these dogs so please dont make judgements such as that and also not all Bull breed owners are bogans and bad owners dont buy into the media hype with such generalisations smile.gif

Robby, apart from the dogs looking very pit bullish, it was said on the news (radio) that they looked very PB'ish. The dogs were larger and imo looked PB X Ridgeback.

...and I am sorry but the greater majority of people who have these dogs ARE bogans such as the owner of those dogs. Most are men and are between the age of 18 and 30 and their dogs are some sort of 'status' symbol for these mens shortcomings (LOL)

Only the other day , while out the front of my place, two very large very muscley American Bulldogs appeared in my driveway. Initially I thought they were roaming until I saw their owners . The owners, a man and a woman, were built like the dogs......both were body builders and looked like "Arnie" in his hey day of competition. Both looked as rough as bags and tough with arms sticking out while they walked along. He had nothing on but shorts .He was very obviously wanting to show of his muscles as well as his tough muscley dogs...who were both off lead and with no collars.

Its sights like these that makes people like me make judgements and generalizations.

When you see these sort of bogans all the time with dogs like Pitties or AmBulldogs.....how can you not !!????????

Tapferhund, I didn't see any PitBull in these dogs so please dont make judgements such as that and also not all Bull breed owners are bogans and bad owners dont buy into the media hype with such generalisations smile.gif

Robby, apart from the dogs looking very pit bullish, it was said on the news (radio) that they looked very PB'ish. The dogs were larger and imo looked PB X Ridgeback.

...and I am sorry but the greater majority of people who have these dogs ARE bogans such as the owner of those dogs. Most are men and are between the age of 18 and 30 and their dogs are some sort of 'status' symbol for these mens shortcomings (LOL)

Only the other day , while out the front of my place, two very large very muscley American Bulldogs appeared in my driveway. Initially I thought they were roaming until I saw their owners . The owners, a man and a woman, were built like the dogs......both were body builders and looked like "Arnie" in his hey day of competition. Both looked as rough as bags and tough with arms sticking out while they walked along. He had nothing on but shorts .He was very obviously wanting to show of his muscles as well as his tough muscley dogs...who were both off lead and with no collars.

Its sights like these that makes people like me make judgements and generalizations.

When you see these sort of bogans all the time with dogs like Pitties or AmBulldogs.....how can you not !!????????

You say that the majority of PB owners are bogans where i tend to disagree, true they tend to own pitbull type dogs but pure bred apbt are few and far between, most are of type and i guess that's all that bogans care about. iT's funny 'cause for all the reasons these people want tough dogs they're getting overweight slow unproportioned dogs that couldn't run 100m without puffing! all show with no go!

Tapferhund, you can generalize all you want thats your problem. Nobody has to prove anything to you, if you reject reason then your only hurting yourself in the long run.

If these guys looked the way you say, i'd love to hear your definition of a bogan. It is not easy to look that way, it takes alot of dedication and discipline over the long term. I don't know any "bogan" that looks like "arnie in his prime". Maybe you ought to be less judgmental ?

Tapferhund, you can generalize all you want thats your problem. Nobody has to prove anything to you, if you reject reason then your only hurting yourself in the long run.

If these guys looked the way you say, i'd love to hear your definition of a bogan. It is not easy to look that way, it takes alot of dedication and discipline over the long term. I don't know any "bogan" that looks like "arnie in his prime". Maybe you ought to be less judgmental ?

Well when I start to see many a little old lady walking these big tough dogs, then I'll become less judgmental of the typical tough dog owning bogans. :p

Think whatever you want, like I say your only hurting yourself.

Little old ladies, like anyone else, tend to choose dogs that are the most suitable for their capabilities and lifestyle. How likely is a little old lady to choose a large breed which requires alot of exercise and could cause injury if is not taught to heal properly ?

Common sense, there is no conspiracy.

I think the dogs had to be caught but I cant believe how they went about it. Anyone else notice that the guy chased it so it ran into a toddler who almost fell over? Or that it nearly ran into someone pushing a pram? If that was me and the herded a possibly HA dog into my child, a dog that feels highly threatened and backed into a corner, who later snaps at the ranger, Id be beyond furious!

Idiotic to say the least. They could have followed the dogs without trying to go in to a highly populated shopping centre. Waiting till the dog exited would have been better. At the least follow it on foot without placing lots of pressure on the dog so it would move out without panicing.

I dont think they handled the dog rough. The way he handled it is quite common in that situation.

As far as being in the news goes. Someone getting hurt is news, if there is a chase then all the better for the media I guess.

Oh and I know someone who owns a pitty. She is small and a real softie and the male dog adores her. She isnt old though. I did know an old lady that owned Labs though. She would have to get in trainers every week to teach said dog solid recal and heel. She was 90 something.

So dont say they dont cause Im sure there is!

At this rate , with all these dog attacks lately, it won't be long before dogs are banned completely. :laugh:

Watch the Nine News tonight. There was another dog attack ..somewhere in Melton today. Three large dogs (Ridgebacks??) supposedly attacked some guy on a train station before taking off. The guy wasn't injured very badly but the Police chased the dogs (helicopter involved) and shot one of the dogs. The other two have not been found as yet.

Now I am not supporting dogs who attack...but REALLY :p ...talk about over reaction !

They're dogs for gosh sakes......they're not hardened escaped criminals or rapists ......but with all the carry on by cops and media...you would think they were. If the police were as on the ball in giving chase to human criminals as they are to three poor bloody dogs........we would all be better off.

:vomit: ridiculous !

According to the news it wasn't that serious an attack but the guy did get a bad scare (as you would)........but its just the whole carry on over sensationalism over loose dogs or dog bites etc that I get fed up with PF. The way people and the media carry on ......you would think the dogs were deliberately rampaging the streets of Melbourne planning their attacks and escape routes and that the public were in GRAVE danger .

Sorry...but if it weren't so serious it would be laughable. :vomit: The seriousness is that it reflects on ALL dogs and ALL we dog owners and in some way down the track.....we will suffer for it in further legislation AGAINST dogs. :laugh:

:eek::mad :D

I haven't read the whole thread. But I have to ask you: have you ever been set upon by three very large dogs? I am getting quite dismayed by all the dog bite threads in which people show very little sympathy for the people who are attached.

Try to imagine what it would be like to be an innocent bystander suddenly being set upon by three very large dogs. I wonder whether you'd be calling it laughable then when people/police came to your aid and then pursued the dogs by whatever means possible.

Yes, my heart aches for these dogs, but get real. More than two years after the incident, I still have the scars from being bitten THROUGH A FLEECY by an SWF. I hate to think what I'd look like if I'd had a few puncture wounds from dog/s the size of a Ridgeback.

Edited by Mother Moocher

Yes being attacked by a large dog would be scarey. However I think all people should be aware of the threat that dogs can pose and try to guage the situation and act accordingly as blind panic will get you nowhere.

I had a dog get a hold of my thigh, my first reaction was OW!, secondly it was come on now let go, the dog let go and ran off.

The same way you teach kids not to scream and run around dogs, people need to know what to do if a dog rushes them or bites them, and learn ways to avoid getting bitten in the first place.

Yes being attacked by a large dog would be scarey. However I think all people should be aware of the threat that dogs can pose and try to guage the situation and act accordingly as blind panic will get you nowhere.

I had a dog get a hold of my thigh, my first reaction was OW!, secondly it was come on now let go, the dog let go and ran off.

The same way you teach kids not to scream and run around dogs, people need to know what to do if a dog rushes them or bites them, and learn ways to avoid getting bitten in the first place.

People need to follow the law and keep their dogs contained and on leash.People shouldnt have to go about their daily business with their senses on alert to know when they may be attacked or set upon by dogs at large.People shouldnt have to know what to do - it shouldnt be able to happen.

People need to follow the law and keep their dogs contained and on leash.People shouldnt have to go about their daily business with their senses on alert to know when they may be attacked or set upon by dogs at large.People shouldnt have to know what to do - it shouldnt be able to happen.

Your dead right, however that perfect world doesn't exist. Dog ownership is massive in Australia so people should be aware of how to behave around dogs. Just cause someone doesn't drive doesn't mean they shouldn't know how to cross the road.

If I go into someone's yard - similar to stepping out on the road I know there are certain precautions and things I should address in order to stay safe. If Im walking along a footpath and a car comes racing along the street and mounts the footpath and knocks me down its a bit hard to ask me to be prepared for that and peopel shopuldnt have to be concerned about stray dogs running in packs will race up and grab them any more than I should be prepared for a million other things society assumes is under control.