How To Define A Good And Health Gsd Puppy?

Kashing

I did research alot but still feelling confuse. Here's some examples.

Breed Survey Class: 1 <- 1=good?

HD Classification: 'A' (1:2) <- what is 1:2?

Elbow Classification: 'Z' (0:0) <- the same

Can someone explain for this?

XXXX Millie Moon (Millie) BSCL 1 VG A 1:3 Z 0:0 (XXXX is breeder's name so not display.)

to

Zony v. Haus Gerstenberg Kkl. I Sch HIII a N. Ed N. (Imp Gmy) ZW77

I am going to purchase a puppy from those parents. Do they healthy and reliable?

In short, yes - thats all good :rofl:

The article here 'GSD pedigrees - what does it all mean?' should be helpful http://www.gsdcv.org.au/registration_pedigree

The above article explains the 'A' and 'Z' but it doesn't mention the numbers - they're the score the dog got on its xrays. 0/0 is perfect hips or elbows and the lower the number, the better the hips. 1:3 means the dog score 1 on its left side and 3 on its right side, which are excellent scores. 0/0 elbows are perfect

Zony is a German import and Germany has a different scoring method to Aus but a N means normal hips (really good) and Ed N is again normal (really good).

Here is an explanation of breed survey

http://www.gsdcv.org.au/breed_survey

Edited by ish

In short, yes - thats all good :rofl:

The article here 'GSD pedigrees - what does it all mean?' should be helpful http://www.gsdcv.org.au/registration_pedigree

The above article explains the 'A' and 'Z' but it doesn't mention the numbers - they're the score the dog got on its xrays. 0/0 is perfect hips or elbows and the lower the number, the better the hips. 1:3 means the dog score 1 on its left side and 3 on its right side, which are excellent scores. 0/0 elbows are perfect

Zony is a German import and Germany has a different scoring method to Aus but a N means normal hips (really good) and Ed N is again normal (really good).

Here is an explanation of breed survey

http://www.gsdcv.org.au/breed_survey

Thank you very much mate, please forgive me for keep asking.

I still want to ask if 2 dogs are

Height at withers:

Breed Survey Class:

HD Classification: 'A' (2:1)

Elbow Classification: 'Z' (0:0)

Titles: Australian Champion

Are their puppy still good? I cant see BSCL on their parents and the titles is Australian Champion <- any significant meaning of this title?

My purpose is use to a family dog and guard dog, not for breeding. Is it enough for me?

Edited by Kashing

any show titles means the dogs have gained enough points at show to get the title.

Dads a Schutzhund 3 so I'd be happy enough with that if his temperament was stable. THis is his temperament test

III. TEMPERAMENT TEST AND GUN SURENESS

Character: firm, natural, lively

Watchfulness: alert.

Conditions of nerves: firm

Confidence: self assured

Reaction to gun test: self assured

As for mum, if you dont mind her body shape them it's up to you, her scores are good.

Saying that the prices of the puppies are quite high for lines with no proven guarding ability.

any show titles means the dogs have gained enough points at show to get the title.

Dads a Schutzhund 3 so I'd be happy enough with that if his temperament was stable. THis is his temperament test

III. TEMPERAMENT TEST AND GUN SURENESS

Character: firm, natural, lively

Watchfulness: alert.

Conditions of nerves: firm

Confidence: self assured

Reaction to gun test: self assured

As for mum, if you dont mind her body shape them it's up to you, her scores are good.

Saying that the prices of the puppies are quite high for lines with no proven guarding ability.

Thanks mate, in simply, is it means those dogs can own a title, it should be good and health and worth to buy it?

The German Shepherd Dog Council of Australia has a FAQ page which has some info on choosing a GSD puppy and also explains the Breed Improvement Schemes such as breed survey and hip and elbow testing. Link

A breed surveyed dog (Bscl I or II in Australia or * in front of pedigree name) has to have passed both hip and elbow scores (has "AZ" after name) so this is good health wise.

A dog that has obtained Australian Champion may not have been breed surveyed or even passed its hip and elbow xrays. This is because show titles are through the Australian National Kennel Club (ANKC) which is separate to the GSD Council of Australia's breed improvement schemes. Always ask to see copies of the sire and dams breed survey and hip and elbow certificates.

Edited by Kynan

I think it also depends what you want your puppy for.

If you want a show puppy, find a breeder you trust that wins lots of shows, and ask for their guidance.

If you want a sport dog, find a breeder you trust that has their dogs doing dogsports, and ask them for their advice.

If you want a working puppy, find a breeder that has bred successful working dogs, and ask for their guidance.

There's only so much you can tell from a pedigree. A good breeder has lived with the dogs, and will be able to point you towards a litter, or even another breeder, that is suitable for your situation and needs.

You're not having a lend of us are you Kashing? Not Trolling are we???

The reason I ask is you have all this information which you must have got from someone or somewhere and yet you don't know the meaning of any of it. Surely those who gave you the info on these dogs and puppies, told you what it all meant at the time? You also supposedly don't know where to go to find information. If thats the case, then how is it you have names of dogs and want to know about hip/elbow scores, survey meanings etc?? You must have been "looking" in the :right" direction for this info.

If you are genuine, then I apologize .......but going on what you have written and are asking so far, there is no way I would sell you a puppy.

Edited by Tapferhund

The reason I ask is you have all this information which you must have got from someone or somewhere and yet you don't know the meaning of any of it. Surely those who gave you the info on these dogs and puppies, told you what it all meant at the time? You also supposedly don't know where to go to find information. If thats the case, then how is it you have names of dogs and want to know about hip/elbow scores, survey meanings etc?? You must have been "looking" in the :right" direction for this info.

If you are genuine, then I apologize .......but going on what you have written and are asking so far, there is no way I would sell you a puppy.

Whats wrong with my to have those info, I find it on the net and the breeders website. I am not a breeder how can I know whats the meaning of the titles.

I want to purchase a dog because I love dogs as I love cars, I will try my best to understand the parts of car. I cant own a dog without any knowledge about it. Is it responsible to the dog? I can find the info(like hip/elbow scores ) but it doesnt mean I can understand all of it. Thats why I ask here and I said please explain titles or sth.

Geeees Louise, leave them alone! Numbers mean shit to people not in the know, and English obviously isn't a first language. Why would someone troll about this?

What is with all the troll paranoia of late? Take some some Trolliam, and chill.

If you want a show puppy, find a breeder you trust that wins lots of shows, and ask for their guidance.

If you want a sport dog, find a breeder you trust that has their dogs doing dogsports, and ask them for their advice.

If you want a working puppy, find a breeder that has bred successful working dogs, and ask for their guidance.

There's only so much you can tell from a pedigree. A good breeder has lived with the dogs, and will be able to point you towards a litter, or even another breeder, that is suitable for your situation and needs.

I agree with Staranais :rolleyes:

Find a breeder that is experienced in the discipline you want to pursue, or someone with experience that you trust to help you find a breeder that will have the sort of dog you are after. With GSD there are many things to consider and quite a lot of variation as well in temperament and in appearance.

I agree with Staranais :hug:

Find a breeder that is experienced in the discipline you want to pursue, or someone with experience that you trust to help you find a breeder that will have the sort of dog you are after. With GSD there are many things to consider and quite a lot of variation as well in temperament and in appearance.

Ok I will try your guys suggestion. Thanks.

Geeees Louise, leave them alone! Numbers mean shit to people not in the know, and English obviously isn't a first language. Why would someone troll about this?

What is with all the troll paranoia of late? Take some some Trolliam, and chill.

Firstly , the names not Louise and secondly, take a look at the original post where the poster says ," I am going to purchase a puppy from these parents." If the OP IS going to purchase a puppy from that litter, then she/he has obviously been speaking to the breeder........the breeder who would have told them everything they wanted to know about the parents, their survey status, title and hip/elbow stats etc.

Firstly , the names not Louise and secondly, take a look at the original post where the poster says ," I am going to purchase a puppy from these parents." If the OP IS going to purchase a puppy from that litter, then she/he has obviously been speaking to the breeder........the breeder who would have told them everything they wanted to know about the parents, their survey status, title and hip/elbow stats etc.

If you play word game to me, what I can say Eng is not my first language, maybe I used the wrong word to explain. My original mind is I want to buy a puppy from those parents. maybe it is more clear.

I NEVER ask for the breeder about that because if i can them "does your dog good?" is not polite and not believe that breeder so i avoid to ask the questions like that to that breeder. Maybe you think it's alrite if I ask you "how's your dog is it good?" but I am not sure how the breeder think.

what I want to do is try to know am I buying a good dog and make the right decision. I apologise for my poor English but I dont think you can talk to me like that.

I am not a flamewar creater but I just want to clearfy your misunderstand from me and my words.

Jeezus Tapferhund lay off will you. Probably good they dont ask you for a puppy you would put them off the breed for life.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

Kashing are you in Queensland? Are you able to go visit the breeder? Or have a friend ring on your behalf that can translate for you over the phone if your english isnt that good? If you are new at this whole process sometimes just emailing a good breeder you can visit and ask to see the parents, explain the process to you etc can be very useful. If you are having trouble understanding what each part of the breed survey means private message me, I'm happy to explain

Jeezus Tapferhund lay off will you. Probably good they dont ask you for a puppy you would put them off the breed for life.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

Kashing are you in Queensland? Are you able to go visit the breeder? Or have a friend ring on your behalf that can translate for you over the phone if your english isnt that good? If you are new at this whole process sometimes just emailing a good breeder you can visit and ask to see the parents, explain the process to you etc can be very useful. If you are having trouble understanding what each part of the breed survey means private message me, I'm happy to explain

Good onya Nekhbet :o

Just wanted to say that when I first bought my puppy I had heaps of information about hips, elbows etc, but didnt really know how to interpret it.

Asking the breeders is one thing, but the reality is when you start out you dont know who is a good breeder or not, and asking them if the scores are good, well, my suspicious mind would say, that they will may well tell me anything to sell the puppy. I am the sort of person who would find all the numbers / stats on the net ( I even found my dogs grandparents) but at that stage, still didnt know what to do with all that information iykwim.