Dog Attack Victim's Story

Skruffy n Flea

And leave the Ipod at home and keep your ears open. I've missed being mown down by plenty of lycra louts on bikes because I hear their wheels. I'm tempted to get a T-shirt that says "Use Your Effing Bell" on the back. :grouphug:

:cry: YES!!!

More bell ringing please! You are also more likely to hear if someone is following behind you as well. I like to know who is around me when I'm walking!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something to consider here. This person has a long standing history of fear of GSD's. So much so that she is in therapy for it.

Just how objective do you think her version of events is?

Um.. probably not very. (And understandably so.)

Who knows, perhaps, due to her overwhelming fear of GSD's, when she saw the dog in her peripheral vision as she ran past, she "perceived" that it was about to attack her and squealed and flailed about a bit, thus precipitating the bite from a dog who was already startled from her sudden approach.

Seen that sort of behaviour a lot with people who are afraid of dogs.

And, no, before you flame me, I do NOT condone dogs that bite. I dislike nasty, out of control, misbehaving, lunging, barking and biting dogs just as much as the next person.

I also think that it is terrible that she got bitten, and that the owner of the GSD now has some serious work to do with her dog.

It's just that people these days always seem so ready to scream "dangerous dog", when really it's not a dangerous dog at all. It's just a dog, behaving like a dog. Accidents do happen, especially when people don't use their common sense - like running up on a dog from behind with no warning.

After all, I have read it over and over again on this very forum that children should approach dogs with caution, no sudden movements, hand held out for a sniff ect.

Should not the same rules of cautious approach apply to joggers?

Yes, people must keep their dogs under control. But the non-dog owners out there must also use some common sense around dogs, too.

Give people with dogs a little space. Allow them to be responsible dog owners.

I can't tell you the number of times I have been forced to jump to the side of the footpath as groups of joggers - sometimes three or four abreast - come plowing past, with no regard at all for me and my dog. I have had them jog by so closely that they have actually STEPPED on my dog's feet. Yes, really.

I have also been forced off the path by groups of "jogger moms" who all have their "racing" baby strollers. Again, so little thought is given by them to anyone else on the path. It's almost as if they are daring the dog walkers to get in their way, so that they can scream "dangerous dog".

And, no, I am not a jogger hater. Used to be one myself, for many, many years. I just never acted like the path was for my exclusive use, that's all, and always gave plenty of warning that I was coming up from behind... to fellow runners, people walking dogs, moms with little ones etc. Was I obliged to? No. Was it the right thing to do? Yes. Do I see many joggers using the same common sense these days? Sadly, no.

As a result, I'm afraid that these days, when I hear of an incident involving joggers vs dogs, I am more likely to give the dog the benefit of the doubt, and assume the the jogger played a significant role in precipitating any "attack".

it's such a bloody quandry cuz in one hand there's a dog, likely if located, to be branded dangerous and in the other hand, a friend now seeing a therapist because a bloody dog lunged at her and srsly bit her on the butt!

that's another thing lms, the handler didn't even offer the information to my friend; walked off!

No quandry. The dog is dangerous. Dangerous dogs are required to be muzzled and live behind secure fences with signs. Why wouldn't that be totally appropriate for this dog?

Why shouldn't the owner have to pay a fine?

Why shouldn't the incident be formally recorded so that you friend can claim compensation she may need for therapy?

Good luck with finding the owner. I would make up some signs and put them around, as it is likely somebody in the area will know who they are.

However if I had a dog that would take a bite out of someone in those situations I'd muzzle it, to me that's the responsible thing to do.

ditto! Lunging in fright is almost exusable. Taking a chunk out of someone IS NOT!

Totally agree. Where I walk my dogs, there is a lot of shared cycle/pedestrian pathways and majority of them approaching from behind ring their bell or call out to me which I appreciate. If I see cyclists, joggers, mum with kids or prams or people walking by themselves or with other dogs towards us, I always take my boys off the footpath or move as close to the edge as possible. Only ever had once incident with an idiot cyclist approaching from behind who not only didn't warn me he was approaching but he rode up so close to me and my dog that he startled both of us and my dog jumped around and just about knocked the cyclist off his bike and he had to swerve very sharply to avoid running into my dog, so he got a mouthful from me :mad . Never had any issues with joggers that are running behind us as normally they will run around us.

Where does the poster mention that her friend "has a long standing fear of GSD"?????? She said the friend is in therapy NOW because of what happened. Hello, poor bloody woman went out for a jog - was on the VERGE - NOT the FOOTPATH where the dog and its owner were and she got bitten!!!!!

Dog is a public menace and so is its owner - peope have everyright to go jogging, ride a bike, ride skateboards rollerblade, push prams or take their kids on a ramble (with or without the family dog) it is up to us as dog owners to ensure our dogs do not bite anyone. The good manners and common sense of other path users is out of our control but the behaviour of our dogs is our responsibility. Rant over!

Any train of thought that sees a member of the public "blamed" for this attack needs serious rethinking.

I agree with posters who have said that, startled or not, there is no excuse for the kind of bite (or any bite) that inflicts this kind of injury. Startle reflex is real. But clearly this dog lacked bite inhibition - seriously lacked it.

As dog owners, we are responsible for what our dogs do - end of story. This dog clearly has issues. Blaming the jogger for startling the dog tells me the dog owner has some issues with regard to knowledge and management of her dog too. :mad

Dogs have great hearing. My guess is that the dog knew someone was coming.

Edited by poodlefan

Where does the poster mention that her friend "has a long standing fear of GSD"?????? She said the friend is in therapy NOW because of what happened. Hello, poor bloody woman went out for a jog - was on the VERGE - NOT the FOOTPATH where the dog and its owner were and she got bitten!!!!!

Dog is a public menace and so is its owner - peope have everyright to go jogging, ride a bike, ride skateboards rollerblade, push prams or take their kids on a ramble (with or without the family dog) it is up to us as dog owners to ensure our dogs do not bite anyone. The good manners and common sense of other path users is out of our control but the behaviour of our dogs is our responsibility. Rant over!

The OP has another thread about this friend having "a long standing fear of GSDs".

As a jogger, I generally cross the road to avoid people walking their dogs- though its mostly because I take my dog with me and I don't fancy dealing with another dog while running. Got an even better reason now! :mad

Any train of thought that sees a member of the public "blamed" for this attack needs serious rethinking.

I agree with posters who have said that, startled or not, there is no excuse for the kind of bite (or any bite) that inflicts this kind of injury. Startle reflex is real. But clearly this dog lacked bite inhibition - seriously lacked it.

As dog owners, we are responsible for what our dogs do - end of story. This dog clearly has issues. Blaming the jogger for startling the dog tells me the dog owner has some issues with regard to knowledge and management of her dog too. :D

Dogs have great hearing. My guess is that the dog knew someone was coming.

Not always, don't forget our senior citizens who have either experienced some or complete hearing loss. My oldest boy, my 14.5 yr old has lost a lot of his hearing. But hearing loss aside, it is totally unacceptable for the dog to have bitten the jogger and for the dog's owner not to have assisted the jogger is reprehensible :mad

Something to consider here. This person has a long standing history of fear of GSD's. So much so that she is in therapy for it.

Just how objective do you think her version of events is?

Um.. probably not very. (And understandably so.)

I think the fact she got a nasty bite to the butt is a pretty objective measure :mad don't you?

I think it is rotten that the owner did not help in anyway and blamed the jogger. It says to me she is not willing to take responsibility for her dog.

Obviously that dog needs to be muzzled.

If a dog is reactive it is the owner's responsibility to keep an eye and ear out. My girl used to be very fearful (not aggressive) so I would spend most walks looking like the girl from the Exhorcist (sp).

The dog should have also been muzzled if they owner is worried about it biting.

Life happens - it is unpredictable. Dogs need to be able to cope with it. If they can't, they need behavioural modification and to be kept safely (muzzle, walking at odd hours etc).

I hope your friend reports this dog - it is a danger to the community. What happens if a kid runs past (their face would be at biting height...).

"The OP has another thread about this friend having "a long standing fear of GSDs"."

If posters are going to refer to other threads this needs to be referenced in the interests on clarity - like the jogger I am unable to read minds or predict the future.

"The OP has another thread about this friend having "a long standing fear of GSDs"."

If posters are going to refer to other threads this needs to be referenced in the interests on clarity - like the jogger I am unable to read minds or predict the future.

Oh I agree, I thought the same as you at first, then saw the other thread. :mad

If the jogger didn't have a mark on them, or only a little scratch, I too would be dubious that it was actually an "attack". Some people think they have been attacked if a dog barks at them!

But apparently the dog drew blood through clothing. That's hard to argue with.

I am amazed the lengths people will go to in order to excuse a dog biting someone!
I am amazed that some are justifying the dog biting the jogger. Regardless of the situation the dog shouldnt have bitten and the owner should have done the right thing.

Please point out the posts that "justify" or "excuse" a dog biting anyone.

Excuse: " a reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense" Several posts sought to Explain or provide reasons for the dog's behaviour - it was "startled" by the jogger - are such posters trying to justify or excuse the behaviour of the dog (or the owner)???? Guess it depends on your point of view - are you building a case for the defence or stating a fact???? :rolleyes: :rofl: :D

Edited by frufru

I have to admit that I'm a little puzzled as to why anyone would place any blame on the jogger in this instant. Equally I can't see anything understandable or excusable about the handler's response. THEIR DOG BIT SOMEONE WITHOUT REASONABLE PROVOCATION!!!!

I've been on both sides - jogger and dog walker and as far as I'm concerned the simplest solution in both instances is to assume that the other person owns the footpath.

At any rate I DO walk 3 dogs with 2 of them being very chase driven. I need to have my wits about me and yes, this includes eyes in the back of my head to see joggers coming up.

I'm the on who chooses to take up a footpath with my dogs so I need to get out of the way of anyone else who wants to use the path - behind or in front. Simple.

If either of my dogs bit someone I would be nothing but apologetic, anyone who is anything else is just shirking responsibiliity - adrenaline or not.

I have to admit that I'm a little puzzled as to why anyone would place any blame on the jogger in this instant. Equally I can't see anything understandable or excusable about the handler's response. THEIR DOG BIT SOMEONE WITHOUT REASONABLE PROVOCATION!!!!

I've been on both sides - jogger and dog walker and as far as I'm concerned the simplest solution in both instances is to assume that the other person owns the footpath.

At any rate I DO walk 3 dogs with 2 of them being very chase driven. I need to have my wits about me and yes, this includes eyes in the back of my head to see joggers coming up.

I'm the on who chooses to take up a footpath with my dogs so I need to get out of the way of anyone else who wants to use the path - behind or in front. Simple.

If either of my dogs bit someone I would be nothing but apologetic, anyone who is anything else is just shirking responsibiliity - adrenaline or not.

hello :rolleyes:

my friend's long-standing fear had, over the years since her childhood experiences with her neighbour's german shep, become a healthy respect for dogs so that she was quite okay with dogs, but just not comfortable sharing space with dogs, of any type or size. she avoided dogs.

my friend's long standing fear had dissipated to the extent that she was okay to give this dog, a german shep, and its handler a wide berth.

my use of the term long standing fear in my related post was lateral in that as a child she'd been terrorised by a german shep --- she harbours ill-feelings about german sheps BUT when dealing with dogs, any dogs in general, she separates herself and gives them wide berth.

she said she was cautious and that she felt somewhat afraid as she passed by them and the fact that she was watching the dog in her peripheral vision would confirm that.

her wound will heal so the biggest thing now for my friend is that from a very young age, she felt terrorised by a neighbour's german shep and now, having put those fears to the back of her mind, those things that caused her fear when she was a child, came back in a lightening flash when none other than a german shep lunged and srsly bit her while she was out jogging in her neighbourhood.

it's the darndest thing!

Excuse: " a reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense" Several posts sought to Explain or provide reasons for the dog's behaviour - it was "startled" by the jogger - are such posters trying to justify or excuse the behaviour of the dog (or the owner)???? Guess it depends on your point of view - are you building a case for the defence or stating a fact???? :laugh::eek::)

There have been "reasons" suggested as to why the dog and/or handler may have responded they way they each did, but I do not see anywhere where those reasons have been "put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense".

The reason the dog bit might have been fear.

The reason the handler reacted the way he/she did might have been an adrenaline related response.

Initially (from the OP) it seemed as though the person who was bitten left the scene without taking the handler's name etc. Further on it seems that the dog-handler left the OP's friend where she was, without taking the time or effort to check she was ok. So comments before this revelation need to be read in context with the knowledge at the time.

The handler could have responded better but I can understand a knee jerk response, even if in hindsight (and ain't we all experts then) it was a silly one. But the handler could have made sure the OP's friend was ok and not simply left the OP's friend where she was.

IMO I think what the handler said is far less of a serious 'crime' (so to speak) than the handler just walking off.

Edited by Erny