Drinking Salt Water Help!

jacqui835

I took my dog to the beach today and he had a fantastic time, was well-behaved, and when I took him back up onto the grassy section, he did a number 2 on command and everything. Problem is, every time we take him to the beach, he drinks a bit of salt water.

In the past, it hasn't been so bad, he had a bit of diarrhea and threw up once or twice, but that was it. This time, he must have drunk heaps of water, perhaps because he was chasing a ball into the water and inhaling water when he tried to grab it :s Anyway, he seemed fine at first, just went to sleep. But about an hour ago he started to get very sick. I was over at my partner's house who lives in an apartment, and for the first time ever, he wet himself inside the house. I've never seen him need to go so badly (normally he can literally hold it in all day) but he was in a panic to get outside, and it seemed like the urge for him came on suddenly. He continued to pee once he was outside for like over a minute. He then threw up, mainly water. We've been giving him plenty of fresh water, but every time he drinks it, he throws up. About 15 mins after the first pee session, he went crazy again, actually leaped onto me on the couch (which he never does, he is usually very respectful) and my partner had started to correct him, but I suddenly thought maybe he needed to go outside, so I asked him, and he leaped off the couch, looked at me, and ran to the door. Took him outside and this time, he must have peed for about 2-3 minutes straight. He emptied himself out and then went again about 2 mins later for another 15-30 seconds. It was like a race horse.

Do I need to get him to the vet? I have brought him home so he can easily get outside, he looked so ashamed when he threw up and wet himself indoors so at least now he can be a bit more comfortable. He has access to heaps of cold, clean water and I've just given him his dinner, which he's shown no interest in (though that's not uncommon when he gets dry food - he only likes his fish, meat and bones..)

Aside from the throwing up and massive excretion, he's acting pretty normal, and in fact he's outside now happily chewing on an old bone. But I'm just worried about dehydration since he keeps throwing up after he drinks :s

I would say that he has probably got it all out of his system if he is happily chewing his bone now.

If he is thirsty he will drink so as long as he has water close by and is able to go outside when he wants I would just keep a good eye on him now.

He'll be fine. Bundy drank looots of water last time he went to the beach. Once it was through his system (I'll leave that to the imagination lol) he was fine. We just monitored his fresh water intake for the rest of the day. We didnt give him much until a few hours later so his tummy could settle, aside from a few sips when we first got home.

One of my friends dogs drinks the sea water like it is going out of fashion and afterwards he is projectile both ends, It is quite scary to watch but usually once it is all out of his system he is fine, he does look green till it all passes through. Hope your boy is ok but I'm sure he will be!!

My lot are beach bums so glad they don't drink the water.... vomit and poop x 4 no thanks :D

Reading this reminded me of when we were minding a friends jack russell it would drink heaps of sea water down the beach so she was just squirtting it out of her behind :eek: the problem was we had to drive home, what to do? Much to the horror of my wife I picked her up (the dog not my wife) and gave her a big squeeze so all the excess came shooting out, after my wife recovered from laughing so hard she had the bright idea of putting her in a plastic shopping bag tied at the top with the head sticking out, it worked well . :laugh:

Edited by mervin

Yeah I was only worried because I was scared he wasn't able to keep any fluids down, he threw up every time he had a drink. I think now perhaps we shouldn't have given him so much fresh water in one go, he drank like a gallon and we just kept filling up his bowl.

He's all good now though, I just hope next time he doesn't try to drink it again, because he just loves the beach and going for a swim, and I think it's great exercise for him too.

First time I took my youngest to the beach she couldn't help herself and kept drinking the water. Then of course it kept coming out all squirty from her other end. As it was a long car ride home we had to stay at the beach for a few extra hours till it was out of her system. Some dogs just don't click to it not being good to drink (or eat the sand). Glad he is ok now - it sounded scary for you.

Yeah I was only worried because I was scared he wasn't able to keep any fluids down, he threw up every time he had a drink. I think now perhaps we shouldn't have given him so much fresh water in one go, he drank like a gallon and we just kept filling up his bowl.

He's all good now though, I just hope next time he doesn't try to drink it again, because he just loves the beach and going for a swim, and I think it's great exercise for him too.

Next time just don't give him so much, just a little bit at a time. All the salt would've made him really thirsty.. so he drank tooo much and made himself sick. He wouldn't know what the cause was, he'd just know he was thirsty so he'd keep drinking, so it's up to us to limit them.

I was verry shocked with the amount of squirts coming out of Bundy.. he was very confused :) I still think he'lll do the same thing next time.. even if we have fresh water for him! He just thought "water=drink".