As If I Don't Have Enough Stress

Sheridan

I baked some mackerel biscuits today for the kids and I've just noticed when picking one out, that it was patchily silver. It's the bloody teflon from the non-stick tray! They've had a couple of pieces each. It's not on all the biscuits, just some, so I don't know if they've digested any. I called the emergency vet and they said it should be okay, they might throw up a couple of times. They said they can induce vomiting if I want to take them in. They seem fine at the moment but I really don't know what to do. :rainbowbridge:

I would say DON'T PANIC! You have already checked with the vet, so calm down and if there are no adverse effects in the next few hours you can stop worrying. I wouldn't think those miniscule amounts adhering to the bottom of the bikkies would be terribly dangerous.

You've probably already done this, but - toss out the tray and the rest of the silvered biscuits.

Then can you share the recipe for the yummy mackerel treats, pretty please???

EFS

Edited by RuralPug

Yes.....for me too...please. I have started a thread on the Training section looking for recipes for doggie treats. I have posted one for sardine biscuits. The house smelt yummy afterwards ...if you are a dog, that is. :rofl: Teflon is used for all sorts of internal body parts, & I am sure I have swallowed my share from cookware. If it were dangerous, then it wouldn't be allowed to be used...would it :rainbowbridge: . Good idea to line your baking tray with baking paper. :rofl:

I doubt there would be any acute effects on the dogs, I think most of us must ingest small amounts from damaged cookware from time to time.The US EPA had teflon as a suggested carcinogen for humans last I heard but that is not a very definitive listing. The gases from teflon heated at high temperatures can however kill birds.

Edited by Diva

Hope your dogs are ok, but for the future I would consider getting rid of everything teflon, as it's now known to cause cancer.

You would be better off getting diamond coated non stick stuff. It's physical non stick, not chemical, so it doesn't produce fumes when heated up (good if you have birds), and you can use metal on it and steel wool to clean it without scratching it.

Swiss diamond is a good brand. Pricey, but comes with a life time guarantee, both on the surface and the handles etc.

Hope your dogs are ok, but for the future I would consider getting rid of everything teflon, as it's now known to cause cancer.

You would be better off getting diamond coated non stick stuff. It's physical non stick, not chemical, so it doesn't produce fumes when heated up (good if you have birds), and you can use metal on it and steel wool to clean it without scratching it.

Swiss diamond is a good brand. Pricey, but comes with a life time guarantee, both on the surface and the handles etc.

WOW - I didn't know about that Diamiond stuff. Goiung to Google it now. :thumbsup:

I was going to post about generations of HUMANS eating teflon with no short term ill effects - but long term unknowns.

I avoid the stufff a much as possible.