Dog Trying To Vomit Up Large Pieces Of Bone

bark

Hi,

I'm introducing more meaty bones to my dogs diet and find that he doesn't chew/gnaw the bones enough so they are broken down into tiny pieces. For the past 2 days he's been retching to bring up what I suspect are large pieces of brisket bone.

When he retches his whole chest heaves and he tries really hard to bring something up but all he gets is a small pool of yellow mucous. Once he's vomitted the mucous he's fine and continues on as if nothing has happened.

Is there anything I can give him to help break down any bones in his stomach? He continues to poop so there's no blockages.

For the time being I've stopped giving him any brisket and roo tails.

I say you need to get to the Vet, if the dog is having unproductive vomits there could be a bloackage.

I agree - if a dog swallows chunks of bones and is then vomitting and cannot vomit them back up again, a trip to the vet is a must.

My youngest boy gave me a real scare doing this a few months ago as he was such a little guts he would try to swallow large chunks of bone with minimal chewing and one evening he swallowed a large chunk of a turkey wing and was very distressed trying to vomit it back up again. I contacted the emergency after hrs animal hospital and was just getting organised to take him in when he vomitted the bone back up again but I took him to the emergency clinic anyway to get checked out as he still seemed distressed and they gave him an injection and I took him home. I then had to take him to my vet next morning where he was hospitalised for the day on a drip.

I say you need to get to the Vet, if the dog is having unproductive vomits there could be a bloackage.

Exactly!

My dog did exactly the same thing after a bone and she almost died. No more hard bones in this house!

Please don't delay, if there is a blockage the dog will go in to shock and die.

Exactly!

My dog did exactly the same thing after a bone and she almost died. No more hard bones in this house!

Please don't delay, if there is a blockage the dog will go in to shock and die.

We just went through surgery for similar unproductive vomits and it just worries me as you really don't have the time to wait around. Ours was a small piece of bone that entered the intestines on a bad angle and got wedged.

44950_441754093510_610633510_5358279_6295844_n.jpg

(Watch was not in stomach!)

33486_442932328510_610633510_5376484_6663907_n.jpg

I hope its' not a blockage for your dogs sake but better to be safe than sorry i.m.o.

Edited by sas

Is it possible though that this dog has digestive issues and that the bone isn't being broken down by the stomach's own enzymes?

Genuine question to all those who are reading and who might know.

I was thinking along those lines and thought there might be something to assist with breaking the bone He isn't stressed at all, just wants to play, go for walks, chase the birds and eat.

Is it possible though that this dog has digestive issues and that the bone isn't being broken down by the stomach's own enzymes?

I was thinking along those lines and thought there might be something to assist with breaking the bone He isn't stressed at all, just wants to play, go for walks, chase the birds and eat.

My dog still wanted to eat and play until he got really bad.

Please go to the vet, just incase.

My dogs do not get bones.

I am not against people feeding their dogs bones. In my opinion they can feed them what they like.The only bones our dogs(Boxers) used to get were the huge leg bones from a bovine with the marrow scooped out.

Bulldogs we do not feed bones. My Bullmastiffs we do not feed bones. My old boy nearly died from choking on a brisket bone which his breeder fed him before he came to live with us. I know of alot of dogs who have choked to death from being fed bones. :rofl: :D

I just dont go down that path

We just went through surgery for similar unproductive vomits and it just worries me as you really don't have the time to wait around. Ours was a small piece of bone that entered the intestines on a bad angle and got wedged.

I hope its' not a blockage for your dogs sake but better to be safe than sorry i.m.o.

oh my! that's officially scared the crap out of me... I am definitely not going to play around with bones anymore. Ppl keep saying it takes time.. it's common for dogs to vomit up bone they can't digest. But it just doesn't sit right with me when what's coming up are extremely sharp pieces of bone which I DONT WANT perforating my dog's GIT ><

We all want to do what's best for our dogs but sometimes I wonder if it's worth messing around with their diet. Just imo after trying rmbs, barf and finally seeing the best results with good old fashioned dog kibble T_T

I spoke with the vet last night and am following their instructions.

oh my! that's officially scared the crap out of me... I am definitely not going to play around with bones anymore. Ppl keep saying it takes time.. it's common for dogs to vomit up bone they can't digest. But it just doesn't sit right with me when what's coming up are extremely sharp pieces of bone which I DONT WANT perforating my dog's GIT ><

We all want to do what's best for our dogs but sometimes I wonder if it's worth messing around with their diet. Just imo after trying rmbs, barf and finally seeing the best results with good old fashioned dog kibble T_T

Bones are good for dogs, we were just very unlucky. My point was just that it's better safe than sorry about going to the Vets.

I spoke with the vet last night and am following their instructions.

Congratulations, it took you how long?

Bones always worry me regardless of what they are, the real gutsy dogs always dont chew properly it drives me insane. Tahli is a bit like that with bones.

Hope your dog is ok better to be safe, what did the vet instruct you to do? was this over the phone?