What Do Ticks Look Like

sllebasi

i have just walked under a 15 foot tree in my backyard and on the underside of one of the leaves looks definitely something like ticks. I cant remember the last time I had a tick (over 6 years ago), and i thought it was really strange that there were about 15 of them on the underside at about 6 foot in height. I thought they were grass dwellers??????

we have had a lot of rain here, and the dog has just been to the kennels. to me they looked like a tick but was wondering if anyone knew if they lived in trees or what the go is. could be spiders or another bug, but i am not so sure - they were just really weird.

we have had a lot of rain here, and the dog has just been to the kennels. to me they looked like a tick but was wondering if anyone knew if they lived in trees or what the go is. could be spiders or another bug, but i am not so sure - they were just really weird.

Theres a lot of info on them on the internet, but I believe some ticks hang out in scrub and trees waiting for victims to walk by. Theres a few different types. Paralysis ticks "quest" for vibrations and leap onto passerbys. Hope your ones are not those horrible little things.

just had a quick look on net, really really hoping i havent got a problem. how often can you put frontline on a dog - she was in the kennels three weeks ago for four days, had to be frontlined before she went, had bath when came home, was bathed and frontlined again last week, was in kennels for last three days. gave her bath yesterday when she came home, would it be safe to do her again????

just had a quick look on net, really really hoping i havent got a problem. how often can you put frontline on a dog - she was in the kennels three weeks ago for four days, had to be frontlined before she went, had bath when came home, was bathed and frontlined again last week, was in kennels for last three days. gave her bath yesterday when she came home, would it be safe to do her again????

Theres a pinned topic on ticks in the Health forum. Gives heaps of info. Frontline must be applied every two weeks for paralysis ticks but dont rely on it as I lost Bo, my last kelpie dispite being on fronline. I used proban on my next dog when I living in a bad tick area.

Advantix is a much better option than Frontline. Nothing beats a check of the dog every day though.

Paralysis ticks have a 3 year growth cycle...nymph ticks live in lower undergrowth, adult ticks move higher up.

We live in Sydney's 'tick central' and have bandicoots here, which are a good indicator of lots of ticks, as bandicoots are a common carrier of ticks (and are immune to them)...ticks feed on them, drop off, grow some more, feed again etc..

In the last two months I have had 4 ticks, as has one of our dogs, despite using prevention. :thumbsup: Luckily I have found the ticks early.

i use advantix normally but for some reason i changed over to frontline last time - mistake on my part especially as frontline is no good for mossies.

It was just really strange, the people I spoke to yesterday said they look like bush ticks which we arent supposed to have in north queensland. Have checked the tree again and cant see anything, but will remain vigilant. Hopefully I might have caught them at the right time as there were approx 20 - 25 of them which gave me the heebie jeebies. thanks for your replies.

showed two people a specimen of the insect and they both feel that they are ticks. Will try to get confirmation from vet and will be very vigilant with the dog.

Ticks are not insects.

If you can just count the legs, ticks would have 4 pairs and insects would have 3.

Ticks ocassionaly climb onto the vegetation so they can catch suitable hosts easier. Usually it's grass or bushes.

Advantix is a much better option than Frontline. Nothing beats a check of the dog every day though.

Paralysis ticks have a 3 year growth cycle...nymph ticks live in lower undergrowth, adult ticks move higher up.

We live in Sydney's 'tick central' and have bandicoots here, which are a good indicator of lots of ticks, as bandicoots are a common carrier of ticks (and are immune to them)...ticks feed on them, drop off, grow some more, feed again etc..

In the last two months I have had 4 ticks, as has one of our dogs, despite using prevention. :o Luckily I have found the ticks early.

frontline is rubbish for fleas but we find FL and advantix equal for ticks.

Frontline spray is apparently the best topical treatment for ticks (provided you cover all areas of the dog). Permoxin spray is probably equal (maybe better?) than frontline spray but by dog occaisonally plays with cats and kittens at work so can't use permoxin.

no it had a rounder body, and was bordering on silver/white/dark grey colour. Im sure (but not so sure :o ) that it had two pairs of legs at the top end of the body and two pairs at the bottom end.

That sounds like spider mites, but they are rather small. They are pests of plants.