First Steps - Petition - The Beginning

Steve

Raz how many charities are answerable to complaints? Serious question regardless of where they source their money from is there normally an accountability process? The most I've heard from people complaining about charities eg money not going where they say it will the governments line is the equivalent of 'tough titties' and are the vast majority really going to get fired up about the 2% of government money that goes to them? I doubt it.

JB I don't believe the general public is going to give a crap because they perceive the RSPCA to be the authority on all things animal, changing attitudes just isn't going to happen it takes years and years. The petition does not have to say the RSPCA is corrupt but it still gives that impression. Sure there is cost cutting in government but they will spend money where they have to and if the petition doesn't get a huge amount of support they aren't going to do anything at all, it would be easier and more effective overall to lobby for increased government responsibility.

most charities also don't have policing powers and the powers to prosecute people.

we will have to agree to disagree, i have worked in government and all i know is that new responsibilities take years to be put into place. the request in this petition wont take years.

is it so bad to ask the rspca to be accountable for what they do and to give people the right to appeal their decisions.

It's not bad, I just don't see it gaining wholesale support. There are already government departments which deal with animal welfare inspections and enforcement their role would need to be expanded but that's about it most of it is already in place, they just let the RSPCA do the legwork because it's been convenient.

Perhaps it also needs to be pointed out that the RSPCA are not the only charity which is given police powers and in all states the legislation allows for others to be given these powers as well.

AWL in some states has the same power.

May be me being blind, but where it the petition for SA?

The SA one is on hold for a minute until we check a small detail out - each state has different rules for petitions and its been a minefield trying to sort through them all.

Raz how many charities are answerable to complaints? Serious question regardless of where they source their money from is there normally an accountability process? The most I've heard from people complaining about charities eg money not going where they say it will the governments line is the equivalent of 'tough titties' and are the vast majority really going to get fired up about the 2% of government money that goes to them? I doubt it.

JB I don't believe the general public is going to give a crap because they perceive the RSPCA to be the authority on all things animal, changing attitudes just isn't going to happen it takes years and years. The petition does not have to say the RSPCA is corrupt but it still gives that impression. Sure there is cost cutting in government but they will spend money where they have to and if the petition doesn't get a huge amount of support they aren't going to do anything at all, it would be easier and more effective overall to lobby for increased government responsibility.

most charities also don't have policing powers and the powers to prosecute people.

we will have to agree to disagree, i have worked in government and all i know is that new responsibilities take years to be put into place. the request in this petition wont take years.

is it so bad to ask the rspca to be accountable for what they do and to give people the right to appeal their decisions.

It's not bad, I just don't see it gaining wholesale support. There are already government departments which deal with animal welfare inspections and enforcement their role would need to be expanded but that's about it most of it is already in place, they just let the RSPCA do the legwork because it's been convenient.

very true and also the reason i don't think there is the impetus to change the arrangement.

i think there might be a shot with this petition at least educating the public and achieving some change or at least letting people know there are issues

The petition does not have to say the RSPCA is corrupt but it still gives that impression.

Just on that point again incase anyone is confused, the wording is (using nsw petition as an example)

This external process protects the organisation, any people under investigation and members

of the public from unfair or vexatious notifications or corrupt activities and brings the

RSPCA into line with other organisation’s best practice.

The petitioners are acknowledging that it isnt just members of the public who are protected by an external process but the organisation and it's officers are as well.

very true and also the reason i don't think there is the impetus to change the arrangement.

i think there might be a shot with this petition at least educating the public and achieving some change or at least letting people know there are issues

Lol I think educating the public is a far more difficult and challenging task than getting them to bully the government into taking on the role but hey go for your life :crossfingers:

Lol I think educating the public is a far more difficult and challenging task than getting them to bully the government into taking on the role but hey go for your life :crossfingers:

Come on now. How is a petition Bullying? How do you think people should lobby for change?

why do you see anything in this petition as bullying, i am astounded

I didn't see it that way. If I were a lay person who wasn't as involved as I am and was as aware as I am of the bullying and unfair tactics the RSPCA tries on (many times successfully), I think my attitude to the petition would be "what harm could the petition do?". After all, all it is asking for is for an independent body to which the RSPCA would be made to be accountable to, rather than being accountable to no-one.

If there is no corruption within the RSPCA *cough* then neither the RSPCA nor any of its loyal supporters who are innocent to the knowledge of what we might have should have any qualms with the petition being successful. If the RSPCA doesn't do anything to which it needs to account for, then what difference to how things are now?

To me, the petition is reasonably benign. It's just calling for accountability and I think many people would see no harm in that.

I think this is a great idea. But I've just read the NSW petition and given what you've said here:

Perhaps it also needs to be pointed out that the RSPCA are not the only charity which is given police powers and in all states the legislation allows for others to be given these powers as well.

AWL in some states has the same power.

shouldn't the AWL be named in the petition as well??

I didn't see it that way. If I were a lay person who wasn't as involved as I am and was as aware as I am of the bullying and unfair tactics the RSPCA tries on (many times successfully), I think my attitude to the petition would be "what harm could the petition do?". After all, all it is asking for is for an independent body to which the RSPCA would be made to be accountable to, rather than being accountable to no-one.

If there is no corruption within the RSPCA *cough* then neither the RSPCA nor any of its loyal supporters who are innocent to the knowledge of what we might have should have any qualms with the petition being successful. If the RSPCA doesn't do anything to which it needs to account for, then what difference to how things are now?

To me, the petition is reasonably benign. It's just calling for accountability and I think many people would see no harm in that.

:crossfingers::laugh: i see it the same way

Hi Steve,

As per my above post, is there any reason AWL wasn't named in the petition as well?

bye

Megan

AWL dont handle their own prosecutions.The petition covers ALL groups which are given police powers and because the awl powers are different in each state we decided to leave it for now but if the rspca petition works then the watchdog/process would encompass the awl as well

There is a need for greater transparency and accountability by all agencies which are given police andprosecutorial powers under animal welfare legislation.

Edited by Steve

There is a need for greater transparency and accountability by all agencies which are given police andprosecutorial powers under animal welfare legislation.

Thanks for highlighting that Steve, glad it's all encompassing.

I think this is a great idea and will be working on getting as many signatures as possible :)

Just stumbled on to this below whenlooking for something else. Does anyone know what happen with this request for an inquiry?

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/Prod/parl...y/LA20100423031

GUNNEDAH WATERWAYS WILDLIFE PARK

Page: 22267

Mr PETER DRAPER (Tamworth) [1.17 p.m.]: Some of the photographs I have seen of Gunnedah Waterways Wildlife Park co-owner Nancy Small with the koalas that have returned recently from the RSPCA speak volumes about the obvious love and care between them, and it is clear that the bonds between Nancy and the animals have not been broken despite them being stolen more than two months ago. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. I am extremely proud of the way the Gunnedah community has banded together in support of Nancy and Col Small and the Waterways Wildlife Park. This is not, as I have heard it described, simply an emotional outpouring of support, it is genuine support for people who have dedicated their lives to caring for sick and injured wildlife, often at considerable personal expense, and who have provided Australia's koala capital with an outstanding award-winning attraction enjoyed by visitors from all over the country.

The Gunnedah community believes, and with considerable justification, that Nancy and Col are being treated in a very shabby manner and that the actions of the RSPCA and the way it operates with certain media should be the subject of a parliamentary inquiry. The Gunnedah community and supporters of Waterways from across the country are angry that the Government seems to be ignoring their concerns by actively opposing an inquiry. This episode has caused a lot of damage to the good name of the RSPCA in Gunnedah and the wider region.

Throughout the whole affair the RSPCA has appeared arrogant and uncommunicative. It appears as though it is answerable to no-one. The fact that it wanted to stage-manage an event for the television cameras rather than deal with any issues of concern through consultation raises suspicions that it is more interested in ratings than its primary role of protecting animals. This issue, which has greatly concerned the Gunnedah community, is worthy of investigation. Gunnedah people have held rallies of support for Waterways, raised many thousands of dollars to underpin the operation, and provided many hours of volunteer help to upgrade the facilities.

Yet mystery still surrounds the park's future, with a government report assessing its care standards yet to be published. If this report details steps to make Waterways an even better environment, such recommendations should be carried out transparently with consultation and assistance rather than using the bulldozer approach that has been the norm to date. The fact that the koalas were taken with no prior warning that the RSPCA held any concerns for their welfare, and the reality of the stress that the koalas must have endured being moved and taken to a region where the threat of chlamydia is even greater, has given the Gunnedah community good reason to question the integrity of the RSPCA and its modus operandi. This has been a public relations disaster for the RSPCA. The Government should support calls for an inquiry.

The Gunnedah township has a population of just over 8,000, and more than 4,000 people signed a petition to Parliament highlighting the injustice of the actions undertaken by the RSPCA. The petition asks the Parliament to undertake an investigation immediately into the circumstances and actions of the RSPCA, in addition to the other people who were involved in the raid on 3 February. Residents are disappointed with the response received to their petition from the Minister for Primary Industries, Mr Steve Whan. They agree with the Minister's contention that the most important issue is the welfare of the animals. However, they question the information given to the Minister by the RSPCA and reject his assertion that it is not appropriate to conduct a parliamentary investigation of this matter while an administrative review and action in relation to the management and welfare of all the animals at Waterways Wildlife Park are underway.

Since it was announced that the koalas would be returned, the Gunnedah community has again rallied to support Nancy, Col and the Waterways Wildlife Park. The rally was organised by Erin McCabe, former Deputy Prime Minister John Anderson chaired the rally, and attendees heard from a number of guest speakers. The well-attended rally passed the following unanimous resolutions:

1. That the rally expresses its strong support and admiration for the Smalls and Waterways Wildlife Park and recognises in particular Nancy Small's lifetime dedication to the welfare of native Australian animals.

2. Calls on the RSPCA NSW to itself initiate an independent review of its procedures, integrity, transparency and animal welfare advocacy.

3. Calls on the NSW Parliament to support a full inquiry into RSPCA NSW focusing in particular on the RSPCA's compliance arrangements and its relationship with Channel 7's Animal Rescue Show.

4. In the event of unsatisfactory outcomes from the aforementioned, that a Federal Government inquiry be conducted, keeping in mind that the RSPCA enjoys DGR status.

I urge Minister Whan to respect the wishes of a passionate country community and to expedite an inquiry. I commend Gunnedah residents for their tight-knit community spirit and their belief in the need for truth and justice for all involved at the Waterways Wildlife Park.