Flea Alergies On A Bitch With Litter

kirst_goldens

Hey guys,

Friend of mine has a staffy bitch with a litter of one week old babies on the ground all doing well :)

A few days before the litter was born the btich was bitten on the backside by a flea... She is severly alergic and instantly started biting and scratchingg, since the whelping she is getting worse... friend took her to the vet and they used advantage (aparently was the only brand ok for nursing bitches?) just to be sure there was no remaining fleas and the other dog in the house was done as well but they sad to leave the rash alone and it will come good soon... thing is... its driving her batsh*t Poor possum is very uncomfortable and scratching it like mad...

So now to the actual question bahaha what can she safely put on it to ease the discomfort that is safe with pups??

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Is it really flea allergy or a hot spot ? Just to chuck something else into the mix.

I'd take the bitch away from the pups for 10/15 minutes. Wash the area in a diluted malaseb mix. Thoroughly dry and then apply Neocort to the area, making sure it's well rubbed in and dry before she goes back to the pups.

I wouldn't put Imidacloprid on a pregnant or lactating bitch but what's done is done

Use Bepathan - works a treat, redness and itching should settle asap and won't harm the pups. Just to be safe though I wouldn't use it on her belly. I don't travel without it and I always have it available at home. Works far better than any prescription ointment anyway.

Also it would hurt to give her a bath even if its just water you use as it will aid in removing the flea saliva from the dogs skin. If you give her a bath make sure its been at least 2 days post 'advantage' though.

I have a bitch who is due any day now and she too has been scratching and one of her titties is a complete mess. Have tried, pawpaw, bepanthen, and she is still scratching it. A friend has just put me on to ;Lansinoh' which is used for nursing mothers and is fine for babies so would be fine for puppies too.

I would not be putting anything chemical on, which may aggravate more anyway, as well as being unsafe.

She will lick cream off.

Go through her coat bit by bit & ensure that fleas are not present, or in the environment.

If its just one spot on her that is the problem bathe with warm salt water 3 or 4 times a day.

Soothing, cleansing & completely harmless.

thanks everyone!

There are no fleas left thanks god

but she was doing the diluted malaseb baths but that seem to dry it out further and irritated it more so we stopped everything and went back to good old rock salt and water and bathing it and thn drying it out heaps if this doesnt work ill move onto some of the creams and what not meantioned! i would prefer there was no chemicals on her as well and she is licking it and it is touching the pups as they feed...

thanks again guys! big help :(