Stinky Breath

vnv

I've noticed my dogs breath has been very stinky lately. She is about 3 years old, and had a vet checkup recently where the vet commented that she has very clean teeth. She gets lots to chew on, bones, toys, denta-sticks, pig trotters.

I feed her the above, along with veggies, fresh meat and different kibbles. For the last two weeks it's been eukanuba sensitive stomachs. She has also finished off the cats food a few times, Optimum dental care.

Her teeth look fine to me, I cant work out why her breath is suddenly so foul. I mean normally she has dog breath but it seems a lot worse lately.

Is it possible she eats her own or other dogs poo? My sons English Setter did, and he had the worst breath I've ever been knocked over by. And by co-incidence.....or maybe not.....the kibble he was fed was Euk Sensitive.

Gayle K - I would be really suprised if she was eating her own poo - I dont supervise her 100% of the time in the backyard but she always poops in the same place and avoids playing in that area, never shown any interest in her or other dogs poo. I'll keep a closer eye on her.

I'll get a different kibble next time in case that's it - she doesn't seem to like the euk sensitive anyway.

whiskedaway - I always thought it was the other way around - dogs can eat cat food but cats can't eat dog food?? In any case I discourage her from doing it. I will be more vigilant.

What breed of dog is she? Is it possible that it is not her breath but her facial fur around her mouth? Coated breeds will often get food etc on their faces while eating and if it stays there and goes stale it will smell....just a thought. Are her teeth ok? A rotten tooth will be smelly too.

Dogs can eat cat food but cats should not eat dog food? I specifically asked the vet due to my oldest when he was younger was sick and the only thing he would eat was cat food.

Edited by tlc

Just be aware that cat food is actually quite bad for dogs - a breeder I was speaking to today informed me that cats can eat dog food, but dogs should not eat cat food.

Sorry to be OT, but just wanted to point out that this isn't correct, and the opposite is true. Cats cannot eat dog food long term however dogs can do just fine on cat food.

When I was little my aunt told me about a cat - can't remember if it was hers or a friends - who would only eat dog food and died as a result. There isn't enough nutrition in dog food for cats and also I think dog food lacks certain things such as the correct level of taurine for cats.

I was told years ago that cat food wasn't good for dogs normally as it has too much protein - I don't know how correct that is. I do know that in my old girl's last year the vet wasn't concerned about her only eating cat food, I think at that stage it was give her whatever she wanted to eat.

My dog eats whatever small amount is left in the cats bowl, maybe once or twice a week or even less. The cat is a guts and rarely leaves food. I just thought I would mention any possibility.

tlc - she is a staffy x so no fur around her mouth. Good point though - I wouldn't have thought of that even if I had a long-coat breed.

Just a long shot, but when I was a kid, our old dog got the most putrid breath. We checked teeth, took her to the vet etc...the cause of the problem was not found. Finally one day when we were outside in very good light, my Dad looked in her mouth again, and discovered a very well camouflaged rotting bone lodged across the roof of her mouth (a section of curved rib bone), wedged in and held there against the teeth at either side.

So just in case, have a look at the roof of your dogs mouth.

Gallomph - what an extraordinary thing to happen. I've checked and double checked her mouth, all her teeth look fine, roof of her mouth is fine. Her teeth are actually sparkling clean. They look whiter than mine :(

Tez - she is definitely not eating cat poo! This she has done in the past and so I have set it up that there is no possible way she can get to the kitty litter.

I think I'll change her kibble and see if that helps, if not I'm taking her to the vet again. She's been having a lot of minor unusual things so I am starting to get worried.