Micro-chipping Prior To Dogs Victoria Registration Be Compulsory Acros

SwaY

In general I think it is great but I have only one problem with Micrchipping required for Registration

at present for some litters I rush my registrations so that I can identify pups when DNA testing pups for a specific problem in our breed.

I can then make my choices as to which are definitely pets and which are contenders for the longterm health of our breed.

By waiting the extra 2-3 weeks it will make the pups at least 10 weeks before I can even decide their future which in some cases make pups of our breed very difficult to place as pets.

If I am pushed into discarding my breeding carriers before I have quality clear offspring to carry on with because it makes placing pups to difficult I worry that I am risking the longterm viability of my breed. :laugh:

Accurate DNA requires the microchipp detail so I cannot see your problem. I had to do DNA profiling for proof of parentage and it was done the ribbon colour for name.

Once the dad was established I registered them and then told GT the name and got new DNA papers.

BB what you are referring to is DNA testing for parentage. This does require the chip number. However what Tentie Lover is reffering to is voluntary tests done by an overseas laboratory so that we can control and hopefully eliminate a health issue which has recently come to light.

This is not a mandatory test it is only voluntary for breeders to make informed decisions about future potential breeding stock. As it is voluntary it is not required for the microchip to be in place. Should it need to become compulsory then no doubt the chip number will be required. We as breeders are working on trying to eliminate the problem before it becomes mandatory to test.

However Tentie Lover we have just had a batch of ours done for the test I am sure you are referring. We did get a response via email from the lab within about 4 weeks. We are about to test a few other dogs one of which is only a few weeks old. I do know of some that have tested as young as four weeks, providing they are off the mother.

However I will agree with your comments about it being difficult to place pups in homes once they start to get beyond the 8 to 10 week age.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general I think it is great but I have only one problem with Micrchipping required for Registration

at present for some litters I rush my registrations so that I can identify pups when DNA testing pups for a specific problem in our breed.

I can then make my choices as to which are definitely pets and which are contenders for the longterm health of our breed.

By waiting the extra 2-3 weeks it will make the pups at least 10 weeks before I can even decide their future which in some cases make pups of our breed very difficult to place as pets.

If I am pushed into discarding my breeding carriers before I have quality clear offspring to carry on with because it makes placing pups to difficult I worry that I am risking the longterm viability of my breed. :laugh:

Accurate DNA requires the microchipp detail so I cannot see your problem. I had to do DNA profiling for proof of parentage and it was done the ribbon colour for name.

Once the dad was established I registered them and then told GT the name and got new DNA papers.

BB what you are referring to is DNA testing for parentage. This does require the chip number. However what Tentie Lover is reffering to is voluntary tests done by an overseas laboratory so that we can control and hopefully eliminate a health issue which has recently come to light.

This is not a mandatory test it is only voluntary for breeders to make informed decisions about future potential breeding stock. As it is voluntary it is not required for the microchip to be in place. Should it need to become compulsory then no doubt the chip number will be required. We as breeders are working on trying to eliminate the problem before it becomes mandatory to test.

However Tentie Lover we have just had a batch of ours done for the test I am sure you are referring. We did get a response via email from the lab within about 4 weeks. We are about to test a few other dogs one of which is only a few weeks old. I do know of some that have tested as young as four weeks, providing they are off the mother.

However I will agree with your comments about it being difficult to place pups in homes once they start to get beyond the 8 to 10 week age.

Edited by Bilbo Baggins

Yarracully you did not read what I had written correctly. So will change it.

For certified DNA results it needs the microchip number, nothing to do with proof of parentage, I just used that as an example as the pups names were the ribbon colours.

If they had not been microchipped the test could still have been done, but the result not certified. Thus not be able to be used in a court of law. Who was to say you had not swapped a dog.

Someone posted here recently that they microchipp the pups a day or so after birth and use that to identify them. Obviously all the same colour. And they have scanner.

In NSW there are a lot of mobile chippers so you can have it done early.

In Victoria it has to be done by a vet so most people leave it until 6-7 weeks and do it with the vaccination.

EF Typos

Edited by Bilbo Baggins

Someone posted here recently that they microchipp the pups a day or so after birth and use that to identify them. Obviously all the same colour. And they have scanner.

In NSW there are a lot of mobile chippers so you can have it done early.

In Victoria it has to be done by a vet so most people leave it until 6-7 weeks and do it with the vaccination.

EF Typos

we are aware that the results are not certified we just want the problem undercontrol so are testing to see how wide spread the problem is and some like myself who have litters with an identified carrier parent are just keen to know the statis of the pups in the litter

I will have to check with my vet to see what the earliest age is they will microchip

I know in Qld they are not allowed to microchip before 8wks so breeders there would have not choice but to wait

If I am pushed into discarding my breeding carriers before I have quality clear offspring to carry on with because it makes placing pups to difficult I worry that I am risking the longterm viability of my breed. :thumbsup:

As you don't need your results to be certified (no Reg name, no Microchip), why not just put Yellow/Green/Red Collar pup down on the form?

As you don't need your results to be certified (no Reg name, no Microchip), why not just put Yellow/Green/Red Collar pup down on the form?

;) I suppose I could do that although I would just need to put "Pup number X out of dam name" as I run an id chart on pups from birth and register them in birth order and markings on our pups are usually unique.

Thanks Sway :thumbsup:

You can also swab for DNA from birth, to speed up the process. :thumbsup:

http://www.vetgen.com/faq.html

Q. How soon after birth can I DNA test my animal?

A. DNA is the same from birth, you may take the sample as soon as you are comfortable putting the swab into the mouth. We recommend isolating the animal(s) to be sampled for one hour to prevent cross-contamination of DNA.

I assume you are testing for PLL?

thats the one :thumbsup:

but the lab says from 4 weeks old when weaned (or in my case starting solids and able to be separated from mum for a few hours)

Are you sending them to be tested by University of Missouri/OFA or AHT?

It's such a new test Sept 2009, brilliant work on those who lead the research team.

Vic require a sticker with the microchip number to be stuck on the registration form, and not a hand written number. Microchips come with 3 stickers from memory.

The sticker is way too big for the form? Which why I wrote mine on and it didnt get put on the ped cert. :thumbsup:

Eta...you have already mentioned this Kerry.

Edited by Shazzapug

Oh yay having to microchip tiny tiny toy breed puppies.

I have been wishing though that they would add the breeder as a contact for years and years. We've had to microchip since 1998, and still there is no place to put the breeder as a permanent contact.

I assume you are testing for PLL?

thats the one :mad

but the lab says from 4 weeks old when weaned (or in my case starting solids and able to be separated from mum for a few hours)

Are you sending them to be tested by University of Missouri/OFA or AHT?

It's such a new test Sept 2009, brilliant work on those who lead the research team.

No the OFA said they could not organise a swab test for us but luckily the AHT in the UK researchers came to the party so that we could have the tools to work with.

Edited by Tentie Lover

Vic require a sticker with the microchip number to be stuck on the registration form, and not a hand written number. Microchips come with 3 stickers from memory.

The sticker is way too big for the form? Which why I wrote mine on and it didnt get put on the ped cert. :laugh:

Same :D I waited until my pups were 7 weeks old and this microchipped before I registered them, paid the 24 hr fee (which was actually worth it- posted the form off Sunday afternoon and had the papers back on Tuesday), but because I didn't know you couldn't write the chip number on the form... It was a whole lot of rushing for nothing (could have just done what I was gonna and register before chipping).

The sticker is way too big for the form? Which why I wrote mine on and it didnt get put on the ped cert. :rofl:

Same :D I waited until my pups were 7 weeks old and this microchipped before I registered them, paid the 24 hr fee (which was actually worth it- posted the form off Sunday afternoon and had the papers back on Tuesday), but because I didn't know you couldn't write the chip number on the form... It was a whole lot of rushing for nothing (could have just done what I was gonna and register before chipping).

All you need to do is stick one of the labels on the form.

The sticker is way too big for the form? Which why I wrote mine on and it didnt get put on the ped cert. :eek:

Same ;) I waited until my pups were 7 weeks old and this microchipped before I registered them, paid the 24 hr fee (which was actually worth it- posted the form off Sunday afternoon and had the papers back on Tuesday), but because I didn't know you couldn't write the chip number on the form... It was a whole lot of rushing for nothing (could have just done what I was gonna and register before chipping).

All you need to do is stick one of the labels on the form.

I didn't know that at the time :wave: I thought it would be fine to hand-write the numbers as the stickers didn't fit.