Bike Riding With Dogs

Cookiez

I am sure there are many of you who do this on DOL and was hoping to get some tips!

I would like to start bike riding with my dog as a bit of extra exercise but also to mix things up a bit with what we already do.

- What type of leash do you use when riding?

- What is the best way of tethering the dog to you/bike?

I would really like to do this but a bit worried that I'll run over my own dog or something. Lol. He is pretty good with walking on leash, but just wondered what precautions people take when riding with a dog?

Thanks!

1. Check the law in your area. It may not be legal to gait a dog off a bike

2. Be realistic about how far/fast a Jap Spitz will be able to go, ESPECIALLY in hot weather.

3. Teach a reliable loose lead walk. Have the lead around your wrist.

4. Add bike and away you go!

I am sure there are many of you who do this on DOL and was hoping to get some tips!

I would like to start bike riding with my dog as a bit of extra exercise but also to mix things up a bit with what we already do.

- What type of leash do you use when riding?

- What is the best way of tethering the dog to you/bike?

I would really like to do this but a bit worried that I'll run over my own dog or something. Lol. He is pretty good with walking on leash, but just wondered what precautions people take when riding with a dog?

Thanks!

Any leash will do not chain though they are too heavy imo, tether under the seat because its central and lower gravity point making the bike more stable, also don't have it so long that your dog can make it to the front wheel..

Edited by -GT-

1. Check the law in your area. It may not be legal to gait a dog off a bike

2. Be realistic about how far/fast a Jap Spitz will be able to go, ESPECIALLY in hot weather.

3. Teach a reliable loose lead walk. Have the lead around your wrist.

4. Add bike and away you go!

Thanks for that! I will check about the laws...

I only intend on going on short rides around my area (We have dedicated bike paths/tracks), and obviously would only do it on a cool day! Just thought it might be fun for Codi to get up some speed!

Try it out first in a nice flat area - and with someone there to pick you up, just in case LOL

I use my Black Dog tracking harnesses for mine, and a lead that's not too heavy and is soft on your hands. You can use an attachment thingy, but because mine ride partly to train for ET, I just hold the leads in my left hand.

It's handy if your dog has a STOP cue too - there will be times you need it.

Start off not too quickly, to give the dog a chance to settle into a nice gait.

I was surprised how quickly my latest BC picked it up - started just walking the bike and dog together, then walking him next to someone else riding - then riding with him free (on a friend's long flat driveway - then straight to lead and harness and he was perfect :) . I've now ridden with the two of mine together - both on my left - no dramas.

Try it out first in a nice flat area - and with someone there to pick you up, just in case LOL

I use my Black Dog tracking harnesses for mine, and a lead that's not too heavy and is soft on your hands. You can use an attachment thingy, but because mine ride partly to train for ET, I just hold the leads in my left hand.

It's handy if your dog has a STOP cue too - there will be times you need it.

Start off not too quickly, to give the dog a chance to settle into a nice gait.

I was surprised how quickly my latest BC picked it up - started just walking the bike and dog together, then walking him next to someone else riding - then riding with him free (on a friend's long flat driveway - then straight to lead and harness and he was perfect :) . I've now ridden with the two of mine together - both on my left - no dramas.

Wow you hold your lead while you ride? I don't know if I would that co-ordinated!

The area I plan on riding in is pretty flat...

What did you do to teach the stop cue?

I can't wait till Quinn is a bit older and we can't start doing this.

Codi turned 1 last month so he's a lot quicker and also stronger now. I would like to do this as more exercise for both of us. I also figured it's been YEARS since I got my bike out, and could be really fun!

OK - if he's just 1, then I'd go very easy for the next several months - I'm a bit of a worry wart about not over-exercising growing dogs. I waited until my BC was nearly 2 before starting him with the bike.

Teaching the stop - I do that as part of nice lead walking. I stop - as the dog stops, I reward him - gradually put the verbal cue on it. I practice and reward it heavily when I'm teaching it - then just occasionally use it - always reward it though - even if just with verbal praise. It's a handy cue to have for general purposes - you're not requiring the dog to do anything but stop where he is.

And yes, I hold the leads in my hand - so they're just looped through my hand and then the hand goes over the handlebars. Yes, it does assume that the dogs are substantially loose lead gaiting - but if they weren't, I'd be teaching them to do that first before going out anywhere. :( Personally I don't really care for the idea of attaching the lead to the bike - can see the bike and me going over - not good at my age.

The rules for the Endurance Test require that the lead be held in the hand - dog is not allowed to be attached directly to bike - so I figure - might as well start as we mean to go on. :)

Oh - and do practise with your bike first, without the dog - make sure you're really confident yourself. :o

I would recommend leash in hand also. I would never attach the leash to the bike. Too dangerous for rider and dog IMO.

10 kms p/hr is average endurance (ET) speed. I have a wrist GPS that I have mounted on the centee of the handle bars of my bike, so I can check my pace, distance etc. I always train at an average of 12kms p/hr, but with a smaller dog it would be fair to train slower, maybe 8-10kms p/hr. Having said that, pretty much most breeds of dog can easily do 10kms p/hr over a distance once fitness and stamina is built up. There was a Schipp in my last ET, that passed with flying colors.

For a JS, I personally would wait til the dog was at least 12 months of age before doing bike work. For larger breeds like mine, (I introduce them to the bike at a youngish age), but do not do serious bike work until they are closer to 18 months of age.

Introduction to bike includes walking dog whilst walking bike, walking dog around bike, ringing bell and so forth. I also let the dog watch me lead another dog on the bike, passing them several times, so they get the idea and see how fun it is. I will even allow them to do a house length or two at a slow trot when they are 6-8 months of age, just to get the idea.

A tip for serious dog/bike exercisers... swap your hand brakes over, so that you are using your rear brake with your right hand, instead of either trying to use your rear brake with your leash hand or using your front brake with your right hand. The bike slows way more smoothly using the rear brake and less chance the rear wheel lifting and the brakes squealing which can scare a dog when first learning.

Also, for optimum strength and muscle building and creation of lovely top line, the dog should be gaiting.

Enjoy, it is heaps of fun, I love it. :(

Edited by dyzney

I didn't train my dog to do it. I did it the 'wrong way' I guess. We use her retractable leash and a few verbal cues (wait, come closer). She's been run over a few times, and before we switched to the retractable leash she had me off once. I just hook the handle of the leash over my handle bar where it grips onto my handlebar grips.

ETA

dyzney, i chose a bike with bmx style back breaks and normal front breaks. Works a dream with the dogs.

Edited by DaisyDog

I didn't train my dog to do it. I did it the 'wrong way' I guess. We use her retractable leash and a few verbal cues (wait, come closer). She's been run over a few times, and before we switched to the retractable leash she had me off once. I just hook the handle of the leash over my handle bar where it grips onto my handlebar grips.

ETA

dyzney, i chose a bike with bmx style back breaks and normal front breaks. Works a dream with the dogs.

Yeh, that would work too. Good one :rofl:

I have not got around to changing my brakes, but I know others that have. I am used to my bike and my dogs and I are very confident with the whole braking thing, but I can definitely see how rear brake use is far more ideal when dogging it on the bike. :laugh:

DaisyDog, no right or wrong way to do it. Whatever works for you is all good. :laugh: As long as you and your dog are safe and everyone is having a great time, then go for it I say.

Thanks for all the awesome tips!

It would be great to get to a point where we are both experienced enough to do some nice bike tracks. I just wanted to do something different with him, other than our daily walk/jog. I mean he gets lots of other stimulation too from flyball and obedience training, but this would be really great!

Thanks for showing me the bike leash mish13, that looks interesting!

I love riding my bike with a dog on a leash. We often do the rail trails around here, and now we've moved out of town we have some lovely bike and walking tracks to explore.....and all flat!

I ride with the leash in my left hand as that's how I had to train for an endurance test with Benson. Tethering the dog would be way too dangerous, even a small dog can topple a bike over easily.

We started out on a school oval, just practising to get the dogs to run beside the bikes. I have a few commands I use......slow down, stop and uh uh....that's used for taking their attention away from other dogs, trees to pee on etc.

They learned pretty quick what to do and how close they can run.

If the dog insists on pulling ahead, try riding slowly or walking the bike along the fenceline with the dog between the fence and the bike......use the heel command and if the dog surges ahead, turn the front wheel of the bike to the fence so the dog can't get in front. He'll quickly learn to stay by the bike, especially if the correct position is rewarded.

Yep that's one of the attachment things I was talking about as a 'thingy' :rofl: Personally, like Dyzmey and Gayle K, I prefer to have a regular leash in my hand - just feel there's more control and safety all round, and more connection between you and the dog. And you can't use them for the Endurance Test - so that's also why some of us just use the leash.

But yes - biking certainly is a fun thing to do with your dog/s :laugh:

()h and BTW, can't use an extendable lead in the ET either :laugh: )

I was lucky- my boy took to it like a duck to water without any specific training.

He has always been excellent to walk on lead though and knows commands like slow, fast, left & right, stop, heel and 'out wide'.

I have him about 3-4 foot away from my bike (lead in hand), and at a steady trot but if someone is coming on the path I have him 'in close' where he is as close as possible to the bike.

Absolutely love riding with my boy and hope you get the same enjoyment!!

Hopefully next year will get around to doing our ET (he is 6 and a half so it's almost our last chance). Dunno if I'll bother with my older birch..... I think that might be dangerous lol. But would like to bike my puppy when she is older- she is very similar to Caber in how she behaves on walks etc.

I was lucky- my boy took to it like a duck to water without any specific training.

He has always been excellent to walk on lead though and knows commands like slow, fast, left & right, stop, heel and 'out wide'.

I have him about 3-4 foot away from my bike (lead in hand), and at a steady trot but if someone is coming on the path I have him 'in close' where he is as close as possible to the bike.

Hopefully next year will get around to doing our ET (he is 6 and a half so it's almost our last chance). Dunno if I'll bother with my older birch..... I think that might be dangerous lol. But would like to bike my puppy when she is older- she is very similar to Caber in how she behaves on walks etc.

I am biking Dusty next year, then Isaak will be old enough the year after. I absolutely LOVED doing the ET with Benson, it was such a buzz to complete it after months of training, and get that title.

Hopefully I will have all 3 dogs ET titles in a couple of years.

When we did Bensons, there were two Border Terriers in the line up. They handled it with ease, they are great little dogs for endurance.

I am biking Dusty next year, then Isaak will be old enough the year after. I absolutely LOVED doing the ET with Benson, it was such a buzz to complete it after months of training, and get that title.

Hopefully I will have all 3 dogs ET titles in a couple of years.

When we did Bensons, there were two Border Terriers in the line up. They handled it with ease, they are great little dogs for endurance.

That would have been Indi & Archie :( Indi is Caber's full sister and Ziva's mum! She completed the test about 3 months after having 5 babies. Archie is a cousin of sorts lol. 2 years earlier Caber's dad did it, I understand he was the first BT in Victoria to gain the title. We have a family name to live upto :)

I have no doubt Caber can do it, and we were entered this year and last year but I am having trouble making the distance. I am desperate to handle myself but as he is getting older, if I can't do it in 2011 he will be handled by a friend.

I have no desire to wrestle Ziva's into doing it- trotting along nicely is just not her thing. We are doing tracking instead. Plus, I wouldn't trust the Bitch not to trip me up. She is evil :laugh:

It's a great title for a Border to get as it is basically what they were bred to do (alongside a horse lol not bike).

I thinks it's one of the nicest titles out there, too. The idea of riding along with the dog beside you is just lovely!

Edited by SpikesPuppy