How Wide Is Your Dog's Nose?

corvus

I'm trying to figure out how far my LED and phototransistor need to be apart from one another to make a photointerruptor to suit a large range of dog noses. If you have a dog with a broad nose, I would love it you could measure how broad it is. I only know pointy-nosed dogs. I think my perception of how wide dog noses get is severely skewed. :( Just a rough estimate of the distance from one side of the snout to the other will do the job. A muzzle diameter rather than circumference, if that makes sense.

Thank you!

Corvus, would Digby be at all helpfu (he has a big big boofy head)?

he is a mutt, so maybe he wouldn't be?

if he is, can you tell me if you want the diameter at the widest point (i.e. where the snout joins the face) or more toward the nose?

Doesn't matter if he's a mutt. :( I'm looking for the diameter close to the nose. The idea is they touch a panel with their nose and break a light beam in the process. The closer together we can put the light and the light detector, the stronger the signal, but at the same time I don't want to make it cramped for dogs with big noses. :(

Charlie's nose is relatively little, but quite close to his face. Could you give me his head width, though?

Doesn't matter if he's a mutt. :( I'm looking for the diameter close to the nose. The idea is they touch a panel with their nose and break a light beam in the process. The closer together we can put the light and the light detector, the stronger the signal, but at the same time I don't want to make it cramped for dogs with big noses. :(

Charlie's nose is relatively little, but quite close to his face. Could you give me his head width, though?

Yep no worries.

I'll measure him and send you the results later today :(

perhaps you need to define for some what a brachy is

oh Digby is not at all bracchy, sorry I think I missed that bit.

I measured him anyway, incase its useful.

i did circumference: 36 c.m.

and diameter: 10 c.m.

with the diameter I got it from looking above.

I really hope it is useful because I got a big tongue kiss on the mouth from him and I know only half an hour ago he was licking his bottom :(

I measured Delta (Dane) and she was 8.5 cm (diameter).