Retrieving & Field Training Talk

Today…

Em - all about concepts! Double mark and warm blind. First time around, get the blind, then get the 2 marks. Nailed it. Second time around, pick up the 2nd mark, then 1st mark, then blind. Nailed it. Third time around, double rise and double fall. Needed one stop whistle and handle to get her off the double fall but needed several handles to pick up the double rise. Did not send for the double fall. Repeated this exercise and she acknowledged the double fall but did not swap but again had trouble on the double rise. Decided to leave it there for the day and will simplify tomorrow.

In between each run, Zig was doing some obedience training and Sky was doing recall games with Mr TSD and me plus we started her on very basic walking singles :thumbsup: She was super although I have to remember to not recall her too early as she just drops the dummy and sprints back to me :laugh: She was super cute and had a great time….followed by LOTS of zoomies there is a reason why she is now fast asleep in her crate! Not before we did some conditioning to thunderstorms though :)

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of any enthusiasts in the Geelong area (preferably that hunt with their dogs) who might be willing to help out a newbie to the field to train up my pup? She's 8 months old and I'd really love to get some advice and practical experience from someone who knows what they're doing!

Thanks!

Samara x

Hi Samara

What breed is your pup? Do you want to rough shoot? Compete? Have you asked your pup's breeder?

I'm not sure of anyone in the Geelong area but you would be welcome to attend the Beginners Training Day coming up:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/260172-retrieving-training-days/page__pid__6590318#entry6590318

Most of us travel quite a bit to train and compete. I will be doing 4 and 3 hour round trips to teach on both training days. You could also check out the Retrieving Australia forum and post there:

http://www.retrieving.org.au/bb/index.php?sid=ae1f9e9feb5f60826e0445730a41992f

Edited by The Spotted Devil

What is the risk of snake bites during retrieving trials. Was speaking to a lady who is involved in retrieving and she said they lost "quite a few" dogs to snakes doing retrieving.

It's something we certainly watch for but I haven't heard of a dog being bitten or dying at a trial - I've only been in the sport for 3 years. I think most dogs that get bitten (in general) go after the snake. Even with people the advice is to leave them well alone and they will leave you alone. I have seen a dog freeze as it was doing a retrieve and the alert person on the thrower plus judge and handler immediately stopped and cleared the area.

• 3 months later...

Last trial of 2014 and Em finished another All Age. However we were both tired (me in particular) so I took a break from retrieving completely and concentrated on agility for a few months. It worked well as Em had a false season then a proper season and, whilst the January trial was mild, the February trial was hot. Caught up with a few folk last weekend who thought we had fallen off the face of the earth but we are just easing back into training slowly. Lots of fun and joy and enthusiasm. Started by working through some concepts on the oval - double rise/2-bird, double rise/double fall, triples with 2 marks split by a blind (various pick up orders) - and she just nailed them. Only needed a few reminders to wait for the "back" and to come to heel as she was SO excited :laugh: Think I might do a bit of handling next and then do some lining drills.

Hey a TSD! Nice to see you back into it too. We have also started to tighten things up over the last month or so getting ready for winter. Rocket seems really happy to be back at it also, most importantly. Our first trial has come to a sudden halt as I was asked what the probability of not to trial novice and restricted on the same day under the same judge because it might be a long day if I do (heaven forbid I pay for the opportunity to participate in a sport I love, that is more often than not struggling to even get numbers to run a stake) :mad I cant begin to tell you how angry and upset I am :( Why would I go away for the weekend spend a few 100 $$$$ and not do what I've been training to do with my dog. Anyway enough of my ranting. Best of luck to you and Em this season!! I look forward to reading your updates

Rubyroo - don't want to upset you , but what exactly is the trial Club proposing to do?

In Victoria if numbers have been quite small, we have often had the Novice and the Restricted judged by the same person.

Not sure how they organise it but I am sure TSD can tell us.

• 3 weeks later...

So little Em is now 5 weeks pregnant but has not slowed down much at all! I'm keeping up her retrieving drills on the oval to get the energy out and I'm sure she'll let me know when she's ready to take it easy. I ran a training day for a club last weekend and Em got to do a fun retrieving demo. She nailed just about everything but the double fall in water needed a couple of reminders :laugh:

Hey ????

I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help me with.

My lab keeps cheating and going around the long way rather then going in a straight line. I'm not sure how to get her to stop with that, any ideas?

My toller seems to be lacking confidence, he goes out strong and then just looses it half way through, he also seems to get confused with my thrower person and goes up to them. I'm thinking I should go back to shorter retrieves with him?

Congrats on the puppies TSD how exciting!

Thanks Eyolf :)

Whenever you have a problem you need to break it down and make it simpler. You need to teach dogs not to cheat. Find a small pond and set your dog up in a sit really close to the water. Walk the opposite side and call through - throw the dummy on the line and party :cheer: There's a hundred variations of that one. You might toss the dummy in front of the dog in the water. Vary dog distance from water. Vary handler distance from water. All done as separate exercises. Rinse and repeat on lots of different water and even cheaty cover.

With your toller - yes definitely shorten up the marks. You want that dog super confident. Maybe go back to hand thrown marks so the thrower can help out if necessary. Make sure the dog is looking forward with real focus and confidence. Singles only. Check to make sure the marks are actually breaking the skyline. That can be a real trap. When you are trying to build confidence on marks DO NOT handle the dog. Have the thrower toss another one or call "Hey hey hey" and walk close to where it's fallen.

Happy to help and look forward to hearing of your progress!

Did some training with Em tonight - just walking baseball with 3 dummies. It really is a bit easy for her but it's nice to keep it light. Can't just let her free run as her recall has COMPLETELY gone south. Little hormone ridden Springer Devil :laugh:

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd bump this thread back up with my little brag :D

Ruby and I have had a nice long break from retrieving and last competed in 2012 where we finished 3 novice trials. On a whim during my uni semester break in July this year I thought I'd start training again, and decided to enter the last 3 novice trials of the year just to see where we were at after being away for so long.

Our first trial back and she gets her very first win thumbsup1.gif

Our second trial was rather disastrous after letting my nerves get the better of me, which feeds right down to my already sensitive dog.

Our third trial I calmed my farm (as best as I could laugh.gif) and we pulled off our second win! winner.gif

To top it off, that gave Ruby her 5th finish for her QND title :)

I do have a constant battle on my hands with our nerves translating to a hard mouth, but I am motivated to give restricted a crack next season and do my best to control my nerves. During my next uni break over summer we'll be a regular fixture at the local park to train some further restricted concepts - I can't wait :D I'm sure the old girl and I will provide some entertainment at restricted trials next season, but hey ho! :p It's all good training for me!

post-25061-0-52734500-1441709716_thumb.jpg

Fantastic RS! Congratulations :cheer: It really is one of the most difficult sports but so rewarding!

I haven't updated here for ages as I've been so busy with pups and everything else. Em has finished 6 (I think?) AA trials now (2 coming straight back from pups) - it's really hard to place/win in Vic so I'm very happy with where we are at. Still feels like a very steep learning curve. Currently working on verbal only backs, lining and selection.

Em had an awesome day out as a proper Gundog and I am having a ball with young Ginny's training. Lots of walking singles on paint rollers (teething!), agility foundation, recalls etc. She's bold as brass in cover and is happily wading in water above her shoulders but not quite swimming yet. She's picked up a pigeon and duck with so much enthusiasm that I've banned those until she's retrieving to hand properly. Very cool around guns too.

The other great news is that two of Ginny's brothers have gone to homes keen to do retrieving - one somewhat experienced and one a raw beginner but an excellent trainer. I have been training with the latter over the last month and pup has plenty of talent. Just nailing walking singles. Super determined young thing - he was my pick for a hunting home.

Scout (our French Brittany) has had a break from trials over the winter to have her one litter of (2) pups. The pups are now 7 weeks and my husband has entered her in her first trial back, mid October. We are keeping a pup from her, a wee girl named Camo, looks just like her Mum. We never did minor all breed retrieving trials with Scout. In NZ you have Puppy (under 12 months), Novice (until you win it twice) and Limit (until you win it three times). Unfortunately you are ineligible for minor trials one you win a CC in a champ trial which Scout did in Pointer/Setter just after she turned 2. The all breed champ retrieving trials which she is eligible for, I think would be too hard for Scout...she's a ummm...running sort of dog.

But my husband is going to train Camo up to do the minor retrieving trials first :) There are few HPR pups around with currently trialling owners, including her sister, so also hoping there will be some Novice pointer trials run next year which there hasn't been for a while due to lack of numbers. And one of the senior judges is looking into starting up HPR trials here separate from Pointer/Setter and including a water retrieve element, so we are hopeful that goes somewhere as well.

Our first trial back and she gets her very first win thumbsup1.gif

Our third trial I calmed my farm (as best as I could laugh.gif) and we pulled off our second win! winner.gif

To top it off, that gave Ruby her 5th finish for her QND title :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Awesome results RubyStar and Ruby!! I'm so glad you got back to trials.

Another rotten quail season over here so none of my dogs have had a chance to find a wild bird :( I did take my two younger Vizslas to one training weekend and they loved finding the planted birds, but we need so much more of it. Happy to report that two of my Rogan's kids, one i bred and another from another DOLers litter, are having a great time in the field though with one boy lucky enough to travel to an island off tasmania to find quail additional to local duck and quail outings! I'm hoping that they may do some field trials next year!! :thumbsup: If there are birds :(

My little breakthrough has been my youngest boys delivery of dummies. After months with no training (and very little before then) a light seemed to switch and he's now sitting and holding dummies for delivery. It's funny what a break from training does :) I don't think the same thing will happen with our weave training though :o

New puppies to train with, how exciting for you both TSD and CK! I can't wait for my next puppy, it's been a long time since I've had my own puppy! Still got a bit longer to wait, though :)

Yay for your boys dummy holds, FHRP! I love when the lightbulb goes off. Let us know if it works for weave training laugh.gif