Dogs Watching Tv

Kaz

I have three dogs.

The rottiex used to enjoy watching sheep dog trials when he was young but he grew out of it. Now he pays no attention to the TV at all.

The pound mutt has never shown any interest.

The dane however is TV obsessed. She will lie on the lounge with her eyes following every movement on the set. She seems to enjoy watching certain people, particularly children. She is particularly fascinated by Cesar Milan - she actually recognises him and will lose interest when they cut to somebody else.

She is fascinated by various animals though other dogs and lionesses seem to be her favourites.

She will actually rush the television several times a day, thumping the screen with her nose and racing around to the back to check if anything is there before coming back to the front and following the action for a while.

She will also recognize large photographic images of animals and peoples faces such as pictures on community notice boards.

Can anyone fill me in on the science behind this?

I had a bullmastif who loved home improvement shows :(

While I was watching TV at my friends house, as soon as a dog (even a silent dog) came on TV, her Lab jumped off the couch and starred right at it. So funny!

Mini watches television like a hawk and barks at any dogs that come on. Grumpy rarely gets bothered by it anymore; he kind of just gives me this look to which I invariably respond, 'I dunno what she's on about.' The first time she did it, I was laughing too much to tell her off so he did. Got right in her face and gave one very angry bark. She flattened herself. He sat on his dog bed and ignored her after that.

I wish my Hugo was more interested in watching television. Every time I leave the house for work, I leave the telly on so that he can watch it and not get... well, bored I guess. He ignores the telly. And sleeps through the day when I'm not there. Well, the telly was supposed to be a measure against separation anxiety, but seeing since he just drops asleep every time I walk out of the house, I don't think it's needed much.. :(

Erik has always been interested in the tv. He watches it less now than he used to, but he's always aware if something interesting comes on, like animals or a funny-looking person. He's good at picking the bad guys in dramas. He barks at them. He also goes mental if there's something abnormal on the tv. He doesn't like spooky kid shows, like the one with the floating red ball that smiles and talks. Apparently red balls should not float, smile and talk. He also got very upset when the plasticine boy got his eyeballs stuck to the bathroom mirror. And let's not get started on The Thing. At least we know if a dog ever splits open to reveal a horrible monster underneath, Erik will definitely let us know about it.

Kivi only watches the tv if there's a dog on it, and only if the dog is making noise. I think it's an awareness thing. Erik is aware of everything that goes on around him. Every little detail is processed and stored away. Anything new gets explored in case it can be exploited. Kivi has his head in the clouds most of the time. He just doesn't care about a lot of things. Life will happen to him. Erik is not content to merely sit around letting things happen. He has to know what it's all for!

One of our Pugs Blossom is obsessed with any animal on the TV. She can spot the difference between humans and animals and will stand up on her hind legs like a meerkat at the TV cabinet and bark and carry on.

Even a reporter on the news who had a horse walk behind him caught her attention. The Optus ads are funny as she follows the animals walk across the screen and then looks for them out the window beside it. She is banished to the backyard when shows such as The Zoo are on.

If she is asleep and hears the slightest animal sound on TV, she is awake in a split second and straight to it.

Our sheltie boy used to go behind the TV to try to find the dog that was barking or howling on the TV.

My present tibbie girl doesn't watch TV, but she watches the 2 chooks next door. They roam freely in their vegetable garden & Annie lies with her feet up at the fence, just watching them for hours. We call it Annie's Reality TV!

Being new to us and us being new to him we have found on a number of occassions that we have seen Koda stop and watch the tele.

Like today there was a story about Leapards on and Koda sat there watching then he went up real close to the tv and watched as these big cats jumped from tree to tree.

But what does get nim barking is when he hears dogs barking on the tele.

He will look right at the thing and bark back at it.

He is our first dog to ever do this.

Our past dogs have just raised an ear and that was about it.

So much unlike Koda's reactions to what is on.

It's funny now but I can see it being a bit of a pain when he gets older.

We will have to wait an see.

Finn is a TV watcher, but with no particular pattern. Often he'll pay no attention whatsoever, then all of a sudden he'll be watching really intently! Both of them sit up and take notice if a dog barks, but Cal never bothers otherwise. Finn looks oh so cute sitting up on the couch, cocking his head to the side :D