Help Needed With 5 Month Old Staffy

Druce

You have a 5month old baby on your hands so cut him some slack as he will only be as good a dog as you make him. This is, however, a typical personality of this breed and also typical baby behaviour and whilst usually they grow out of it, he will have a good 3-4 years of hyper behaviour until he fully matures (be warned though - some Staffords never really mature!). Plus the fact he is also probably teething by now so get him heaps of things to chew. Smacking him on the nose is not the way to go, if you do have to smack him then contain it to the rump. I find at that age growling works. I also wouldn't wait until February, though credit goes for booking the obedience classes. Start now, with the basics, especially focussing on you. Mental training can be just as exhausting as physcial training, though I would say that taking him out "at least every second day" is not enough. Also, keep a check on how he goes with his playmate - I can't remember what the other dog was like or how old his playmate was, but if it makes your puppy more hyper then it might be an idea to find an older playmate who will teach him canine manners and boundaries. Desexing is not the answer to every problem and I definitely wouldn't desex at this age as it will probably do nothing to change his personality but it will affect his physical growth.

Good luck and don't give up on him - calm consistency and perseverence are key with Staffords.

Em

ETA ditto what Sandra said - DON'T chain a Stafford EVER.

Edited by SoL

I have been training basic commands like sit and down and rewarding with treats, however I still have a long way to go.

If you've already got sit mastered then the solution is right there.

Learn what cues your pup gives just before he starts his mouthing (biting). Embed these cues in your brain. EVERY SINGLE TIME he starts showing that the next thing he's going to do is mouth (bite), stop whatever you're doing (even if it's just walking out the door) stand up straight and neutral and tell him to sit. When he sits he gets a treat or just praise, but if you get a sit he leaps up again, instantly back to the neutral position (no waving of hands, stamping feet, random eye contact) and request another sit. He will very quickly learn that thinking about mouthing gets nothing, sitting when he gets excited gets your attention.

I think he will partly be doing this because he doesn't know not to, but also because it's exciting and very self rewarding. You have to make it not exciting (by preventing him getting to the stage where the mouthing can even start) and provide something which is more rewarding - your attention.

Staffords thrive on the attention of their owner - many don't seem to care all that much if it's positive or negative so long as it's attention. By flapping around and smacking and squealing and getting excited you're fueling his excitement and making it an even better game.

It's up to you to teach him a better (less painful, for you! :)) way of getting your attention.

Ignoring the behaviour won't make it go away now it's quite ingrained. He obviously doesn't know what you want him to do so does what works.

What do you do when he approaches you calmly and sensibly and doesn't mouth you - bet you ignore it but that's exactly the behaviour you want to praise like he's given you the winning lotto ticket.

Please don't put him on a chain!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for reply, what you have said does make sense and I have been trying it already with success. I think a mixture of the sit command with a reward and the watter bottle has seemed to take affect already, fingers crossed....

Don't wait until February!!

I live in a small regional town with one trainer and that is the next available time slot unfortunately.

I know the feeling, we have the same problem with our two.... obedience school took their last class mid november and no more new members until Feb next year. Getting my partners roster to line up so we could both go with both dogs meant we missed out.

I have approached a lady I know breads/shows/trains and quite well and have asked her for some help, she won't be ready til after xmas either.

In the meantime though I have been googling like crazy watching what I can and making sure I do as much as I can.

Druce- keep us posted ... and don't expect a miraculous change :) he is still a puppy ..you still need to learn much , but during the process you will understand your dog and his needs so much better - and be able to make him a good member of society.

Will do over the next 2 weeks...

I feel your pain Druce... we had a particularly bitey SBT pup as well and thought it would never stop. With some great advice from fellow DOL'ers coupled with regular exercise and training we worked through it and eventually broke the habit. Can't remember how long it took, but it did happen. The advice others have given you are right on track so i won't repeat them.

At 18 months old, we are now experiencing another trait of the breed where he is starting to push the boundaries and see how much he can get away with and generally being a downright stubborn mule! :)

Having said all this, i can't see myself ever choosing any other breed... they are very intelligent and loving... it's just a matter of when they decide they are in the mood to exercise this intelligence :)

• 3 weeks later...

one method I have found works is when the pup starts mouthing put your thumb over the top of the nose and press down enough to stop them breathing through it and press your fingers against the roof of the mouth this is very uncomfortable to them and they release quickly,when they do then praise, if they try to mouth again say no and repeat,this has worked with all our dogs (boxers and staffies) and also friends and relatives' dogs,others may disagree but I find this a fairly gentle discouraging way.