Nail Bed Infections In Dogs

Sue

About 8 weeks ago I had a dog returned to me that I bred. He's been through the mill a little, totally over vaccinated, over medicated. His home life was very stressful.

He has suffered from mange, infected skin, and terrible foot problems. At one stage the owner rang and said they were considering destroying him as the vets believed that he had no immune system left. I asked to have him back so that at least my vets could look at him before a decision was made. The owner rang a few weeks later and asked to return him but heard nothing more after leaving it in his hands to decide the right time.

When he was returned I was shocked by his condition. He was underweight, had an infected rash and his feet were swollen. He was extremely nervous. Things had taken a very sad turn and the dog would have been the last thing on the family's minds so his weight and nervousness may have happened over the preceding week.

My vet read the notes I had had gotten sent from the previous vets (a huge file!) and looked at the dog. We decided to not do any treatment and just let his immune system recover, feed him well (I raw feed), let him rest and relax. I've done that for 8 weeks and he is looking great except for his feet, which get slightly better then regress again. I took him back to the vets yesterday and he has been diagnosed with a long term infection in his nail beds. He is on antibiotics for six weeks now.

Apparently this is very difficult to treat so I am wondering if anyone has had this issue in their dog and can advise complementary treatments that will help.

I do hope to rehome him but need to get him well before then. Otherwise he's another keeper in the home for decrepit hangers on! :D

A friend of mine had a Stafford with some feet issues. She used to stand her in the laundry trough with dilute condies crystals for around 5 minutes I think, then get her out and allow it to dry on her feet. She swore by it and apart from the fact it will and does stain the feet it did help dry them up.

Also Epsom Salt foot soaks will help to draw out and dry up and infection or discharge.

Good luck it sounds like the poor feela has had it tough but is now well on his way to being healed.

Edited by OSoSwift

Poor boy .... hopefully the AB's will help . Providing he's not allergic- I'd be dunking each foot .. (seperately in a cup/small bowl ) in BETADINE. ..and then distract him outside until dry. Betadine is wonderful stuff- bacteria/fungi ... it zaps 'em all. :laugh: I use lots of it on myself and the dogs .

My Zeus had a nail bed infection that we treated forever with no improvement. It was just in one toe & my vet was convinced there was some cancer in his bone. After months, I was advised that the amputation of that toe was the safest & only option. We went ahead, recovery was quick & we never had another issue.

I still wonder if it was the right thing to do, it was

many years ago now. In the end I trusted my vet & we did it.

Thanks for your replies. I'll pick up some of each tomorrow and trial them to see which has the best results. Maybe one foot for the betadine and one for the condies crystals.

I had read in the net that cancer can be a cause. Lets hope not.

Hi,

Try giving Robert McDowells a call - link below. They are in NSW but ordering to delivery to Vic is only 3 days at max.

I assume you wouldn't have an issue getting it into the country as it is all natural. Anyway on speaking to them with a couple of different things I wanted to get on top of with our dogs they will actually put together treatments for your dog specifically. They are pretty well priced - they last forever and do work. I have all of ours on their Maritime Bark Extract year round and have several other treatments on hand. Well worth the cost and effort if you can get it into NZ.

http://www.herbal-treatments.net/