Calcium To Phosphorus Ratio In Dog Food

giraffez

how do i find out the calcium to phosphorus ratio in a dog food. My vet has asked me to switched to a high calcium dog food (advance) but I want to know whether the current dog food (artemis) has the same calcium to phosphorus ratio before doing that.

Edited by giraffez

Why has the vet asked you to change??

What diet did the breeder recommend ??

We have had no success feeding advance to our minis,it makes them itch like crazy.

If your breeder suggested a good diet then i would stick to that or discuss any issues with them as they now there lines & the breed the best

how do i find out the calcium to phosphorus ratio in a dog food. My vet has asked me to switched to a high calcium dog food (advance) but I want to know whether the current dog food (artemis) has the same calcium to phosphorus ratio before doing that.

Read the food analysis table on the side of the bag.

Or if the manufacturer has a website with food analysis (Advance does) read it there.

We have had no success feeding advance to our minis,it makes them itch like crazy.

If your breeder suggested a good diet then i would stick to that or discuss any issues with them as they now there lines & the breed the best

The vet said the puppies back legs are pointing a bit outwards (its called vigor??) and its important he gets enough calcium as this can be corrected with food.

The vet said the puppies back legs are pointing a bit outwards (its called vigor??) and its important he gets enough calcium as this can be corrected with food.

Cow hocked maybe? If you're feedng a balanced premium puppy food it should contain loads of calcium.

Can you post a pic of puppies legs? Id have it to a chiropractor ASAP.

just curious but why did the vet say to change to a high calcium diet? question has been answered :laugh:

Charlie is on a high calcium diet but it's because he has bone issues.

He gets Advance (he got switched from Hills)... but that's not majority of his diet though.

With his high calcium diet, Charlie gets a lot more bones, diary food (he is no lactose intolerant thankfully), egg (shell and all).

But, also important that your pup gets a lot of sun (Vitamin D) too. Calcium needs Vitamin D to absorb properly.

Edited by CW EW

What are you feeding now, and what breed & age is your pup?

Are you sure it's called vigour? I've never heard of that. Could the vet have said valgus or varus, maybe?

I'd contact the breeder in case they've seen something similar in their lines before & find out what they usually feed their pups, and also follow the vet's advice - if your first vet & breeder really can't agree then I'd get a second opinion from another vet. Puppy bones are nothing to mess around with, the results of making a mistake now could be with you (and with your dog) for years to come.

What are you feeding now, and what breed & age is your pup?

Are you sure it's called vigour? I've never heard of that. Could the vet have said valgus or varus, maybe?

I'd contact the breeder in case they've seen something similar in their lines before & find out what they usually feed their pups, and also follow the vet's advice - if your first vet & breeder really can't agree then I'd get a second opinion from another vet. Puppy bones are nothing to mess around with, the results of making a mistake now could be with you (and with your dog) for years to come.

oh i think it was valgus not vigour...... :laugh:

i've feeding artemis puppy and its a mini schnauzer and he is 13 weeks.

OK that makes more sense. Valgus just means that the pups legs are bending outwards more than they should. I think the breeders would call it cow hocked.

I'd contact the breeder, firstly to check that this isn't just a stage that her pups sometimes go through (some pups do), and secondly to check what she recommends feeding (so you can feed that).

If it doesn't get better quickly (or gets worse) I'd be heading back to the vet to check there's nothing more sinister going on, like an angular limb deformity (growth plate trauma) or etc.

OK that makes more sense. Valgus just means that the pups legs are bending outwards more than they should. I think the breeders would call it cow hocked.

I'd contact the breeder, firstly to check that this isn't just a stage that her pups sometimes go through (some pups do), and secondly to check what she recommends feeding (so you can feed that).

If it doesn't get better quickly (or gets worse) I'd be heading back to the vet to check there's nothing more sinister going on, like an angular limb deformity (growth plate trauma) or etc.

Can be growth plate or pastern issues too. (3 minute google expert here :)) I'd want an ortho vet view before I'd be adding more calcium to the diet. I'd want some x-rays too.

It's a hind leg problem in this dog, Poodlefan, dogs only have pastern joints in their front legs. :laugh: But yup, growth plate trauma (angular limb deformities) can cause valgus.

ETA, sorry, unless you are referring to the area between the hock and the foot (not a joint) as a pastern? Apologies if you were. But I don't see how an issue with that area could cause valgus, unless the dog was so calcium deficient that its skeleton actually bend or broke in that area. Or maybe you meant the hocks, I guess those could be called rear pasterns.

Edited by Staranais

It's a hind leg problem in this dog, Poodlefan, dogs only have pastern joints in their front legs. :) But yup, growth plate trauma (angular limb deformities) can cause valgus.

ETA, sorry, unless you are referring to the area between the hock and the foot (not a joint) as a pastern? Apologies if you were. But I don't see how an issue with that area could cause valgus, unless the dog was so calcium deficient that its skeleton actually bend or broke in that area. Or maybe you meant the hocks, I guess those could be called rear pasterns.

Nah, hadn't really thought about no rear pasterns before. :laugh:

It's a hind leg problem in this dog, Poodlefan, dogs only have pastern joints in their front legs. :thumbsup: But yup, growth plate trauma (angular limb deformities) can cause valgus.

Nah, hadn't really thought about no rear pasterns before. :)

It's especially confusing, because horses do have rear pasterns. Who named these things, anyway?! :laugh:

It's a hind leg problem in this dog, Poodlefan, dogs only have pastern joints in their front legs. :thumbsup: But yup, growth plate trauma (angular limb deformities) can cause valgus.

It's especially confusing, because horses do have rear pasterns. Who named these things, anyway?! :laugh:

I'm blaming my horse background then. In my quest to become the 3 minute google expert I did hit a very interesting article linking early desexing to valgus problems in larger breeds. That's one to add to the list of issues to raise wrt mandatory desexing.

I'm blaming my horse background then. In my quest to become the 3 minute google expert I did hit a very interesting article linking early desexing to valgus problems in larger breeds. That's one to add to the list of issues to raise wrt mandatory desexing.

Oh interesting, could you post the link here?

Sorry to go OT, OP. :laugh: