Best Anti-chewing Spray?

I found the "Bitter Lime" (natural) stop chew spray excellent when I was putting off my boy from chewing things when he was a little pup ..... BEFORE he developed a habit of chewing in the first place.

What will be a bad taste to one may not be as bad a taste to another though. And the trick is to get in right at the start. I tend to find that stop chew sprays don't have a really high success rate when the dog has been left to establish chewing as a habit.

The other thing that people tend to not do and which sets the situations up for failure is RE-LOAD ..... often, frequently and maybe even more times than one might think is necessary.

The other amounts of time is about prevention and observation. IE Don't leave puppy unsupervised around and with the things that he has an interest or is likely to have an interest in chewing. Stick around and make sure the stop chew will and is doing the job very adequately.

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing worked for my girl other than me being vigilant, and when I couldn't supervise her she was in a playpen or crate. I just redirected her to something she was allowed to chew and had plenty of rawhides, etc to give her (although I think you need to be careful about how many of these things to give). But if you find that nothing acts as a deterrent then you might have to go with the system of pup can't get to the things to chew.

Good luck!!

I find bitter lime works on some puppies but not all. It may be owner compliance not re-applying every day also though.

There's a Vet product called wound guard and it has a few different things in it, dogs tend to dislike the smell as well as the taste.

ETA: Better management is your best defence. Identify what might be a problem, prevent the puppy from practicing the behaviour, redirect where necessary.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Management will help! Make sure pup is never unsupervised, and loose in a room. Use baby gates/puppy pen to section off a safe area.

Provide pup with Nylabones/kongs/treat balls/fresh bones that are fine to chew.

Chewing the leaves on pot plants...electrical wiring/paint /plastic could lead to serious health problems ... and it is your responsibility to keep your puppy safe :laugh: