What Is Advantage Of Being A Canine Good Citizen?

W Sibs

I would have been tempted with Diesel if it didn't mean sitting through a 6 week course with a Delta instructor first. If you could book in or schedule like a normal trial. Would be a bonus if it was an ANKC recognised title too.

I would have been tempted with Diesel if it didn't mean sitting through a 6 week course with a Delta instructor first. If you could book in or schedule like a normal trial. Would be a bonus if it was an ANKC recognised title too.

I actually did a 10 weeks course... :rofl:

I would love to do this but I feel that my dog would fail no matter what - she is quite timid of strange things (no matter how much socialization i took her on or still do - it's her quirk). She flattens like a pancake when she sees bins on the road or street grates or hears loud strange noises :rofl: besides that she would pass with flying colours (with a little training).

I think its great that people can do this kind of training with their dogs - I wish there were more classes going for people!

I wish there were more incentives for people to do this kind of training!

Is it 10? I thought it was 6.

Maybe it's six but the one i went to held the class for 10 weeks... so maybe is varies?

I think there were some dogs and owners in the class really needed all the 10 weeks.

Edited by CW EW

I would love to do this but I feel that my dog would fail no matter what - she is quite timid of strange things (no matter how much socialization i took her on or still do - it's her quirk). She flattens like a pancake when she sees bins on the road or street grates or hears loud strange noises :rofl: besides that she would pass with flying colours (with a little training).

I think its great that people can do this kind of training with their dogs - I wish there were more classes going for people!

I wish there were more incentives for people to do this kind of training!

I think it's a good course to do, even if you don't decide to do the test :eek:

Wow cwew after reading that training work that you need to pass... I have to say welldone again!! :laugh:

I have taken a brief look on the website but haven't read the whole thing yet... How tempting...

But definitely when kairu is a little older... He goes nuts. On the street

Edited by spitzbaby

Wow cwew after reading that training work that you need to pass... I have to say welldone again!! :laugh:

I have taken a brief look on the website but haven't read the whole thing yet... How tempting...

But definitely when kairu is a little older... He goes nuts. On the street

Emmy will fail the test :thumbsup:

We have a very similar program at our obedience school, it's called the well behaved dog program. All of the above mentioned things plus a couple more are what the dog needs to do to pass the test.

On completion the dog gets a certificate and a medallion saying well behaved dog. After the dog completes the well behaved program they start classes which are more involved. It is a great way to get the dogs generally well behaved.

We don't put a time limit on ours to complete, some dogs need longer than others, for example my older 3 had complete the course by around 4 - 6 weeks but my youngest was 2 years before he finally passed, as he wouldn't do the out of site stay without going nuts, i hadn't tested for a while (as im usually instructing) so had him tested for the pass and he just decided he would be good and we passed :laugh:

I'm sure like us other obedience schools must have similar programs to the CGC.

Did you check out the Delta site for info on therapy dogs?

The CGC is not really common in Australia unfortunately. We have run 2 so far in the ACT and qualified about 30 dogs (not all mine). We are looking at running another around April next year. It is not an ANKC title (yet) but is a great idea for the dogs and really teaches good manners.

Yarrowfell, I'm in the ACT and would be very interested in this! Is it a 6/10 week course? How do I find out when it is going to be run? :laugh:

For Delta it is 18 mths old heres the web site for Delta if you want to have a looky.

http://www.deltasociety.com.au/home

They keep changing the age on me, when I first started looking into this it was 12 months, then when I was contacting them about it they said 14 months (even though the website still said 12 months) and now its 18 months...

For Delta it is 18 mths old heres the web site for Delta if you want to have a looky.

They keep changing the age on me, when I first started looking into this it was 12 months, then when I was contacting them about it they said 14 months (even though the website still said 12 months) and now its 18 months...

I thought that was strange too, when I first looked into it it was definatley 12 months. Might be worth giving them a call, maybe they have changed the rules?

I thought that was strange too, when I first looked into it it was definatley 12 months. Might be worth giving them a call, maybe they have changed the rules?

Yeah I might, When I was emailing them she was about 10 months old and she was telling me she can get assessed when she is 14 months, Ive been working really hard to get her ready for the next assessment, but she wont be old enough now :laugh: I would haver thought if they were thinking about changing it then they would have told me of the possibility so *watch this space*

Its frustrating, I dont see what the point in changing the age is, I mean some puppies are calm enough to do that sort of work at 12 months, Lexi is very close and is 12 months now, I dont want to have to wait another 6 months when the next assessment is in 4 months (for my area, Id rather not have to go to the gold coast for it) obviously if people are getting pups assessed at that age and they arent ready its not as though thats their chance gone, they can always assess on the next go

Yarrowfell, I'm in the ACT and would be very interested in this! Is it a 6/10 week course? How do I find out when it is going to be run? :laugh:

We are aiming for April. I organize an assessor to come down and just assess the dogs. The 1st time we did the full 8 weeks but last time we just did 1 day and already had the dogs trained so just did the assessment.

PM me your email address and I will add you to the email list of interested people.

CGC is awesome if you can find someone to do it with you, we've tried for 3 years and cannot find an instructor as Delta has changed their criteria for CGC instructors so not many do it now.

I tried contacting Gladesville Vets where the OP went for it but they wouldn't get back to me so I'm not sure for how many more years I should keep trying.

I contacted Delta themselves to let them know the trouble I was having, even they couldn't find an instructor for us within an hours drive.

Edited by sas

We are aiming for April. I organize an assessor to come down and just assess the dogs. The 1st time we did the full 8 weeks but last time we just did 1 day and already had the dogs trained so just did the assessment.

PM me your email address and I will add you to the email list of interested people.

How do you manage that, I was always advised by Delta that those wanting to do the assessment had to do the 8 week course first?

Yeah I might, When I was emailing them she was about 10 months old and she was telling me she can get assessed when she is 14 months, Ive been working really hard to get her ready for the next assessment, but she wont be old enough now :laugh: I would haver thought if they were thinking about changing it then they would have told me of the possibility so *watch this space*

Its frustrating, I dont see what the point in changing the age is, I mean some puppies are calm enough to do that sort of work at 12 months, Lexi is very close and is 12 months now, I dont want to have to wait another 6 months when the next assessment is in 4 months (for my area, Id rather not have to go to the gold coast for it) obviously if people are getting pups assessed at that age and they arent ready its not as though thats their chance gone, they can always assess on the next go

Ive emailed her, I found one of the old emails that she had mentioned 14 months in, that way it might remind her, Ive worked out that she will be 17 months at the next assessment date, so hopefully they might let her in

ETA - I just heard back and she said in this instance she will let Lexi do the assessment in April, but she cant start visiting until she is 18 months, which Im happy with :eek:

Edited by GoldenGirl85