Raising Dogs In Apartments

B-Q

I have a large (but lazy) large dog and a young working breed... our house is small and our yard is small. They have a grassy (muddy) area (about 15m x 3m) as well as a paved pergola. Enough room to run round and round but not that much else.

To be honest I wish we had a larger yard BUT they cope fine. It's a bit of work with the youngen as she needs her exercise and training but she is definitely not hyperactive or frustrated. After a big walk or run they spend the rest of the weekends lazing around inside.

When we were looking for breeders, some flat out told us that their dogs would not be suitable for us... fair enough, their decision. Our lovely breeder gave us a chance based on our overall situation and I'm sure she is happy considering what a lovely dog our pup has grown into.

As a breeder it would be a big fat NO from me.

The reason being is that I could place all of my puppies in homes where they have a back yard, recieve the love, care and exercise that require. I wouldn't take the chance on apartment living, when there are other suitable and loving homes available.

I wonder how many of your dogs currently sit out in a back yard and are forgotten about? Especially when these so called perfect families/ owners you hand pick start a family of children and the dog takes a backward seat to the baby.

FACT

If you own a dog and live in an apartment, it's impossible to forget about them.

I take it from your avatar you breed Staffy's. I've owned many staffies over the years and lived in apartments with them ... They are one dog happy to sit on the couch and sleep all day waiting for you to get home from work and spoil them ...

Breeders are a funny mob, and I have a few close friends who breed and are registered and we always have colourful debates when we get together. Puppy factories are the number one enemy of a breeder, yet so many breeders with their closed minds and blanket 'no' answers to potential deserving owners, force these potential owners to go the pet shop BYB route to get a dog.

None. They are all very much loved and are part of their respective families. I don't choose homes where the pups or adults will take a back seat the the new baby. The people who want puppies from me mostly already have their families and quite a few over the years have gone to empty nesters.

Staffords are not happy to lay around on the lounge and do stuff all. The dogs that I own and breed are high drive and high energy, totally not suitable to live in an apartment. The homes are selected accordingly. Again , I can afford to be fussy about where my pups and adults go and I'd hang on to a pup/dog for as long as it takes, rather than settle for second best.

I'm happy to be counted as one of the " funny mob ", it ensures that my dog and pups are homed accordingly and are not bouncing from one unsuitable home to another or dumped in a pound. :thumbsup:

The reason being is that I could place all of my puppies in homes where they have a back yard, recieve the love, care and exercise that require. I wouldn't take the chance on apartment living, when there are other suitable and loving homes available.

I wonder how many of your dogs currently sit out in a back yard and are forgotten about? Especially when these so called perfect families/ owners you hand pick start a family of children and the dog takes a backward seat to the baby.

FACT

If you own a dog and live in an apartment, it's impossible to forget about them.

I take it from your avatar you breed Staffy's. I've owned many staffies over the years and lived in apartments with them ... They are one dog happy to sit on the couch and sleep all day waiting for you to get home from work and spoil them ...

Breeders are a funny mob, and I have a few close friends who breed and are registered and we always have colourful debates when we get together. Puppy factories are the number one enemy of a breeder, yet so many breeders with their closed minds and blanket 'no' answers to potential deserving owners, force these potential owners to go the pet shop BYB route to get a dog.

None. They are all very much loved and are part of their respective families. I don't choose homes where the pups or adults will take a back seat the the new baby. The people who want puppies from me mostly already have their families and quite a few over the years have gone to empty nesters.

Staffords are not happy to lay around on the lounge and do stuff all. The dogs that I own and breed are high drive and high energy, totally not suitable to live in an apartment. The homes are selected accordingly. Again , I can afford to be fussy about where my pups and adults go and I'd hang on to a pup/dog for as long as it takes, rather than settle for second best.

I'm happy to be counted as one of the " funny mob ", it ensures that my dog and pups are homed accordingly and are not bouncing from one unsuitable home to another or dumped in a pound. :thumbsup:

See, to me at least. To say you know where all your dogs are right now, and their situations are still perfect, seems more wishful thinking than reality.

A staff will live for 11 to 12 years ... That is a long time for situations to change.

A well loved and trained and settled staffy will sit around all day and sleep on the family couch and wait for you to get home and then spoil them with attention and walks. No matter how high their drive is. I have showed 3 over the years and all had the same quality.

I actually moved into working kelpies and borders because they have a higher drive and more energy to do the things I want.

Apart from a small handful of the posters in this topic like Rebanne, raz & ReadySetGo.... the rest of you are referring to one off situations and your personal experiance of one or two dogs.....

In the big picture... med to lge breed dogs do not belong in appartments or tiny back yards. If you are in that situation yourself and are trying to justify it, don't bother as I am sure the majority on here would know better. If you have felt discriminated because YOU choose to live in an appartment but a breeder wont sell you a GSD (or whatever breed purely due to your accomodation).... well you poor thing I feel sorry for YOUR CHOICE of living BUT the dog dosent get the luxury of choosing where they live therefore it is up to their breeder to insure an appropriate home for their puppies.

The bottom line is; if you choose to live in an appartment - keep gold fish!

Edited by Rottsup

Find another breeder

Make myself suitable

Realise the breeder was right and I wasnt suitable

Crazy.

Based on yard size? Breeders know no more about me and my ability to raise a dog than what my butcher does.

That's why breeders ask questions of potential puppy buyers. Wouldnt you rather a breeder care where one of their pups end up?

Again. Crazy.

No one is saying breeders shouldn't care about their dogs and where they go. You keep avoiding the real question. Where does yard size correlate to being a negligent dog owner?

See, to me at least. To say you know where all your dogs are right now, and their situations are still perfect, seems more wishful thinking than reality.

Why is it wishful thinking? I have one of ReadySetGo's dogs. She's sitting right here with me as I type. I'm sure RSG wouldnt have given me this dog if she didnt think I was a suitable owner. Did a breeder refuse you a pup 'cos I'm really trying to figure out why you're so antsy about breeders thinking they are elitist just because they care where their puppies end up

FACT

A staff will live for 11 to 12 years ... That is a long time for situations to change.

A well loved and trained and settled staffy will sit around all day and sleep on the family couch and wait for you to get home and then spoil them with attention and walks. No matter how high their drive is. I have showed 3 over the years and all had the same quality.

I actually moved into working kelpies and borders because they have a higher drive and more energy to do the things I want.

A stuffed teddy might sit around quietly and wait for your return, but not my guys or any pup that I've bred. To place them in apartments and have new owners expect them to do so, is nothing short or irresponsible.

I understand that situations change and I'm quite prepared to assist an owner who has one of mine or take it back if need be but that doesn't mean I'm going to place a pup in an apartment and hope for the best, knowing they are not suitable from the get go.

Again, that's my choice as a breeder to do that. ;) I have to live with the choices that I make and it's the pups that suffer if I get it wrong

There's no way on this earth ( having raised 5 Pointer pups ) that I'd place one of those in an apartment either.

Apart from a small handful of the posters in this topic like Rebanne, raz & ReadySetGo.... the rest of you are referring to one off situations and your personal experiance of one or two dogs.....

In the big picture... med to lge breed dogs do not belong in appartments or tiny back yards. If you are in that situation yourself and are trying to justify it, don't bother as I am sure the majority on here would know better. If you have felt discriminated because YOU choose to live in an appartment but a breeder wont sell you a GSD (or whatever breed purely due to your accomodation).... well you poor thing I feel sorry for YOUR CHOICE of living BUT the dog dosent get the luxury of choosing where they live therefore it is up to their breeder to insure an appropriate home for their puppies.

Interesting generalisation.

I live on a 3/4 acre block in a coastal/ rural nsw town.

Proceed with your blanket stereotypes close mindedness. You're a real credit to the dog breeding world.

Again. Crazy.

No one is saying breeders shouldn't care about their dogs and where they go. You keep avoiding the real question. Where does yard size correlate to being a negligent dog owner?

And no one is saying it's all about yard size.

Why do you care anyway - unless I'm reading it wrong, you didnt even buy from a registered breeder so it really shouldnt matter to you who breeders sell to.

Find another breeder

Make myself suitable

Crazy.

Based on yard size? Breeders know no more about me and my ability to raise a dog than what my butcher does.

That's why breeders ask questions of potential puppy buyers. Wouldnt you rather a breeder care where one of their pups end up?

Again. Crazy.

It isn't so much negligent, just not ideal.

For pup's bones to grow well and strong, they do need a certain amount of low-impact stress. This can happen when pup can move around freely on a soft grass surface several times a day.

It can't happen in confined spaces with large breeds.

A breeder that knowingly places a dog in a situation where its needs won't be met is negilgent. The dog buyer is just ignorant, rather than negligent.

Find another breeder

Make myself suitable

Crazy.

Again. Crazy.

It isn't so much negligent, just not ideal.

For pup's bones to grow well and strong, they do need a certain amount of low-impact stress. This can happen when pup can move around freely on a soft grass surface several times a day.

It can't happen in confined spaces with large breeds.

A breeder that knowingly places a dog in a situation where its needs won't be met is negilgent. The dog buyer is just ignorant, rather than negligent.

Totally agree with you Greytmate :thumbsup:

Breeders force potential owners to go the pet shop/BYB route, by saying 'No' when they believe the home won't match with their pup/dog?

You're attributing blame to Group A for something Group B decides to do.

That's like saying License Testers force people to drive unlicensed, because they assess that someone isn't up to independent driving.

Deciding to purchase from the pet shop BYB route, comes from the purchaser's own mental processes....for which he/she is responsible.

Just like an unlicensed driver, deciding to operate a motor vehicle independently....is using his/her own mental processes. And is fully responsible.

You've actually given an example of the 'Someone Else Made Me Do It' Syndrome....much loved by very young children. And it seems by some adults who didn't grow out of it.

I'll grant you that breeders saying 'No', might influence what someone does next. But it doesn't force them to do anything. So breeders should not be guilted into saying 'Yes' to everybody who asks.

What the turned-down pet buyer does next, depends on their own mental processing re solving problems, level of 'education' about the issues re pet shop/BYB route....& even their personality, in either being able to delay gratification or not.

Edited by mita

Did a breeder refuse you a pup 'cos I'm really trying to figure out why you're so antsy about breeders thinking they are elitist just because they care where their puppies end up

Not at all. Do I need an agenda to talk about this? Do I need a personal experience to comment?

The dog breeding world has people within it with a elitist attitudes who think they are some how qualified to pass narrow minded opinions.

Does any breeder actually think that someone living with a small yard would go to the expense and trouble of being on waiting lists and paying premium dollars just to neglect their dogs? In my experience 99.9% of negligent dog owners are purchasing their dogs from pet shops, BYB's and collecting them from pounds.

Because I've been with my wife at shows with her dogs and seen this sort of snooty behaviour first hand, I've been subjected to it at tracking carnivals and agility trials it is my humble opinion that these environments would be made so much more enriching with more everyday people there, treating people without the patronising nature ...

It's a free world, I have an opinion based on my observations. And because I can't be caught under the generalised blanket that *some* breeders like to cast, I'm fighting the good fight :thumbsup:

I'm sure you understand.

Proceed with your blanket stereotypes close mindedness. You're a real credit to the dog breeding world.

Thanks for your vote of confidence, however I never said you lived in an appartment or anything else specifically about you so your quote of Blanket steriotypes & closed minds is once again come about because of your lack of understanding that this issue is about the dog and his/her needs, not the potential news owners "wants".

Have a lovely Xmas :thumbsup:

Again. Crazy.

And no one is saying it's all about yard size.

Why do you care anyway - unless I'm reading it wrong, you didnt even buy from a registered breeder so it really shouldnt matter to you who breeders sell to.

And I could ask ... If you're not a breeder why do you care? My working kelpie was a noonbarra. The finest dog from the greatest breeder in Australia, imo.

And yes. it is about yard size. *Some* Breeders give a blanket no to someone in an apartment with only a courtyard or small yard.

it's the blanket no, and the reasoning behind which irritates me.

Thanks for your vote of confidence, however I never said you lived in an appartment or anything else specifically about you so your quote of Blanket steriotypes & closed minds is once again come about because of your lack of understanding that this issue is about the dog and his/her needs, not the potential news owners "wants".

Have a lovely Xmas :thumbsup:

You generalised that I must live in an apartment.

My whole point is you can still meet and exceed a dog's needs while living in a small house and yard, apartment/ courtyard if you are committed to the dog's well being. I've seen better dog owners come from the flats at the end of my (long) street, than I have from my fellow neighbours on acreage around me.

In my opinion, it easier to forget about a dog's needs in a large backyard than right under your nose inside. The responses from breeders to this in my mind raises a flawed logic.

And also, between my wife and I, we owned staffys, kelpies and borders, as well as been part of the guide dog raising program.

I am yet to see a dog exercise itself in one my large backyards. I'm still waiting for the day my kelpie will take it self for a jog around the perimeter.

Find another breeder

Make myself suitable

Crazy.

but they know their dogs and their breed and i have no problem with them saying no to the dog living in an apartment.

i just think it can be done with committed owners.....and they don't know the puppy buyers

in the end is up to the breeder and i am with raz i would never buy from a BYB or a puppy farm or a pet shop. i really would have another think if the breed was for me, especially if more than one breeder was telling me the puppy/dog wouldn't be suitable for my current situation

And I could ask ... If you're not a breeder why do you care?

Ofcourse I care that breeders care who they sell to. Why wouldnt I?

Poor breeders get bashed regardless of what they do. Make sure a home is suitable - get bashed. Sell to any Tom Dick or Harry - get bashed. They cant win, can they. Thanks for confirming why I'll never become a breeder. :thumbsup:

Find another breeder

Make myself suitable

Crazy.

but they know their dogs and their breed and i have no problem with them saying no to the dog living in an apartment.

i just think it can be done with committed owners.....and they don't know the puppy buyers

in the end is up to the breeder and i am with raz i would never buy from a BYB or a puppy farm or a pet shop. i really would have another think if the breed was for me, especially if more than one breeder was telling me the puppy/dog wouldn't be suitable for my current situation

I've read in this thread alone that one breeder would say no, while another would say yes to the exact same circumstance and reaping a really positive, bright outcome.

It shows open minded breeders exist. There needs to be more of it.

wow that helps.....not

just so ya know i have a big house with a big yard..and a small dog.......doesn't mean i don't have an opinion nor does it mean i haven't seen other with dogs in apartments living well

how rude