Spread The Word

Loving my Oldies

I used to love fireworks, before I became associated with pounds and shelters :laugh:

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/...1229-19a5n.html

Pet owners warned about firework dangers December 29, 2010 - 8:26PM

.Most of us will enjoy the New Year's Eve fireworks, but it's quite likely our pets won't.

The RSPCA is bracing for a 400 per cent increase in the number of animals arriving at its shelters nationwide in the first three days of the new year, as pets go missing or are injured amid fireworks celebrations.

Dogs and horses are particularly terrified by the noise of fireworks, but cats, rabbits, birds and cattle can also suffer.

Advertisement: Story continues below "We receive hundreds of calls in the days following New Year's Eve," RSPCA NSW call centre manager Nicole Louise said on Wednesday.

"It's devastating to hear how many animals go missing or are badly injured as a result of fireworks."

Leaving pets in the backyard is not enough to protect them from the effects of fireworks, the RSPCA has warned.

Dogs in particular have been known to jump fences or dig holes in a panicked attempt to escape the noise, and are then in danger of being knocked down by cars.

Instead, dogs should be exercised and fed before the fireworks begin and kept inside for the night with some of their favourite toys and bones.

Cats, rabbits and other animals should be brought inside or secured in their cages in the garage, while horses should be stabled.

Will be staying home with my kids New Years Eve as the sound around my neighbourhood from fireworks is horrendous. They have been going off nearly every night since before Christmas. They are so loud - it sounds like what I imagine a war zone to sound like.

Its about time fireworks were banned completely, surley in this day and age laser displays could be used I don't think that the people who put these shows on think about the poor animals and the elderly that it might affect, probably don't own animals themselves, thunder affects animals enough without having fireworks, to spook them.

Even the Royal shows end with fire works displays, I feel sorry for the poor horses and other animals that are there.

lablove

We use to go and spend the evening with our horse to make sure he didn't break through a fence or injure himself when the local fireworks display was on.

lablove

I know it not really going to help dog that currently are adults however during the socilisation period for puppy if you expose it to sounds that are similar to fireworks etc and obviously if its gentic makeup allows

The dog wont show fear and have a panic attack when the fireworks do go off

i dont think the promoters will be haveing a dedicated laser show i guess dont have the same effect that fireworks seem to have

Mine dont' have a fear of fireworks - they would run around the backyard barking their heads off. I don't like the loud noise myself. I can understand letting them off on New Year's Eve but it is all the other nights that peeve me off.

Staying at home with mine too, darn family up the road set them off every year outside the front of their house :laugh:

Can go on for hours round here.

I let my dally sleep inside, but he just barks and keeps us all awake, i had thought of sedating him, but think it might make him more scared?

Anyone find it helps?

we often have fireworks going off around here, thankfully mine just sit and enjoy the show but i do feel sorry for those that are frightened.

Last year someone set off a firework display in the park behind me and the dogs and i sat on the back steps to view it all.

Mine dont' have a fear of fireworks - they would run around the backyard barking their heads off. I don't like the loud noise myself. I can understand letting them off on New Year's Eve but it is all the other nights that peeve me off.

Yes, we had some last night and I'm thinking "What the???". Considering they are illegal except by a licenced fireworks handler there are an awful lot out there going off!

I just saw on Today show this morning about what to do with dogs tonight. Leave them inside, in secure place, close windows, or have someone stay with them. Dr Katrina had a dog on there who jumped an 8ft fence last year. Scary thoughts.

Tahli is being taken to my mums tonight she stays home with all the dogs a whole 5 of them. :laugh:

She has been good with storms, but I've heard a few firworks and crackers being let off in the last week and she would just bark at them. I don't want to leave her alone just in case.

Fireworks just annoy me anyway, I agree, why can't we have laser shows ?

Staying at home with mine too, darn family up the road set them off every year outside the front of their house :laugh:

Can go on for hours round here.

I let my dally sleep inside, but he just barks and keeps us all awake, i had thought of sedating him, but think it might make him more scared?

Anyone find it helps?

Some Valium might make him feel a little less anxious? If you call your vet they may be able to help - just don't use ACP - it sedates them, but doesn't calm the mind, so they are still freaked out but just too sedated to be able to do anything about it.