Problem With Canon 50m 1.8

jr_inoz

had the 1.8 and agree it is a good lens if you get a good copy, but will not last, the 1.4 is much more robust, and it is one of my main work horses. Would not considr going to the 1.2 after the bad things I have heard about the focus on that, which would probably make it the one L lens in Canons line up that is not worth upgrading to. The 1.4 is worth its weight in gold and then some

• 1 month later...

And another one bites the dust :(

Took mine out today and It's not AF, It just sounds like the motor Is strugling to get focus

It's only 7mths old with not real heavy usage either!

Going In to get It fixed, but just wondering If others have had any problems with theirs once out of repairs?

And another one bites the dust :(

Took mine out today and It's not AF, It just sounds like the motor Is strugling to get focus

It's only 7mths old with not real heavy usage either!

Going In to get It fixed, but just wondering If others have had any problems with theirs once out of repairs?

Is yours the 1.4 or 1.8? if it's the 1.4 it's got a pretty bad strike rate even amongst us DOLers ;) If mine breaks down again I'd switch to Sigma. In answer to your question, so far no, fingers crossed it stays that way. All these faulty Canon 1.4's has shaken my confidence in them though.

Edited by Kirislin

My 50mm 1.8 (touch wood) goes and goes and goes, I use it most of the time as I only have a kit lense 18-135 and a tamron 18-250 which I hate with a passion. So the 50mm is my fav. Also mine was from honkers so didnt think it would last 5 mins. :(