Vca Rego Eligibility

indie7

Hi all,

Firstly, Im just new here...so hello to everyone :laugh:

I have a question and hope someone may be able to help out.

I am looking at purchasing a dog from a breeder who has a litter of puppies that were sired by a dog that has yet to be registered ( for specific reasons)...He will be registered later this year. So my question is, will the puppies be able to be registered once he is? Will the VCA honour the pups?

Edited by indie7

What specific reason for not having registered the sire? I am pretty sure dogs need to be registered by 18 months if born in Aus.

From the DogsVic regulations

4.1.5.13 A member who breeds a litter of dogs, the parents of which are registered or eligible for

registration with the VCA or other recognised canine controlling body, must register such litter, all

of the living progeny in such litter at one and the same time within three calendar months of the

date of whelping. Registration after three months requires Management Committee approval.

Such approval may be delegated to the Chief Executive.

I thought a dog had to be registered within 18 months of birth, so either the dog is very young (and presumably not health tested as some tests can't be done till the dog is a bit older) or not going to be registered at all.

The only other thing I can think of is an import and waiting for the papaerowork to be issued on the Australian side but still.... not a risk I would take.

Hi all,

Firstly, Im just new here...so hello to everyone :laugh:

I have a question and hope someone may be able to help out.

I am looking at purchasing a dog from a breeder who has a litter of puppies that were sired by a dog that has yet to be registered ( for specific reasons)...He will be registered later this year. So my question is, will the puppies be able to be registered once he is? Will the VCA honour the pups?

IF he isn't registered now then they have ran out of days - this year is now as good as over..however I would be interested in the reasons for him not already being registered...what ever they are - but, still not good enough.

As said above, "Keep walking"

The sire was imported from the UK and is about 9-10 months old. He accidently mated with the breeders bitch....and hence the puppies.

So why isn't the dog registered yet? He's obviously been in the country for at least nine weeks. Is there a problem with his paperwork or something?

From the VCA regs.

4.1.5.10 An imported dog registered in a Canine Register kept by a Controlling Body in the country from

which it was imported and recognised as such by Management Committee may be registered.

And just in defence of the breeder .....they are selling the puppies as pets but have mentioned that there is a chance the puppies may be able to be registered in the future.

Hi- This breeder wasn't too careful about where this imported puppy(and that's what this sire still is) spread his seed, was she? Also, most of my puppies go as 'pets' too, from thoroughly health tested parents(hips/elbows/eyes/hearts), and it doesn't matter what breed we are talking about, there are always health tests that should be completed re the sire and dam. It also doesn't matter how cute a puppy is, or even if its conformation SEEMS excellent, for me it would just not be worth the potential problems that could be lurking ahead. If you want to take the chance, it's up to you. I would ring the V.C.A to ask them if the pup could be registered in future, even if you don't want to name the breeder or breed. They would have a better idea than most of us, if it could be possible. Also, whilst most breeds can have problems, if this is a large or heavy breed, or a breed with a stronger potential for eye/heart problems, then I would kiss this pup goodbye and find another who comes from parents with the APPROPRIATE testing. Even if you are just looking for a 'pet', you want your dog to be healthy, long-lived and free of genetic abnormalities, such as hereditary eye problems, which can often not become a apparent until this sire is MUCH older than he is now, much less be seen in a young puppy. Good luck.