Struvite Bladder Stones - Feeding

Garloch

Hi all,

I have a 4 year old terrier that had struvite bladder stones 12 months ago. She is all better now, no reoccurances, was on the antibiotics for about 6 months to combat any recurrance of the infection, and all clear now for about 6 months. Very happy with her progress. She is on Royal Canin prescription "Urinary" blend. Was on Hills prescription SD but she finds the Royal Canin better. My question for those that have had struvite stones before - Do you know of any other foods that have the correct nutritional makeup so the stones don't reoccur? Hills and RC are so very expensive and the cynic in me wonders if there are other options available that I'm not being told about?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Thanks guys,

Both the websites look very interesting! Generosity of dogzonline members never fails to surprise me - thanks!

With the cranberry tablets, what might the dosage be? (My girl is 8kgs.) Have looked up on the net and have not been able to find much on contra-indications for cranberry - do you know of any issues? (Itchyness would be an issue for her.) And do you feed a normal diet with the cranberry added, or use cranberry with special diet?

My vet says the severity of her stones (3 x 1cm diameter) make her susceptible to reoccurance, but I can't find any basis for this in all my research. Idea's??

You might be better to buy the strips to monitor her urine pH and see what other foods you can try that keep the urine in the right pH range.

When my old dog had a couple of bouts with struvite, she was later changed to 'Chappie' don't know if you can get it in Aus.

Have you also checked with the owners/breeders of other dogs in her lines as it can be a problem to run in certain lines (at least this is true for mini schnauzers)

Return struvites are due to bacteria in the bladder getting out of hand and causing stone formation. You can feed a struvite prone dog a normal diet (raw prefered, but what ever your dog does best on) if you feed supplements to combat the bacteria, cranberry is an excellent one, especially when combined with supplements that acidify the bladder such as ACV and ascorbic acid (Vit C).

Be aware though, that you MUST wait until any course of antibiotics is completed before starting cranberry as it can interfere with some medications.

The ph strips are an excellent way to monitor the acidity levels.

My girl is mostly fed raw with the occassional dry.

I give her 1 tablet daily.it is a human one..I think it's 5,000mg. I can look when I get home.

I just give it to her in the morning with breakfast

When she first had the trouble her PH level was also off the scale but 2 weeks later it was all normal

Edited by CavsRcute

You might be better to buy the strips to monitor her urine pH and see what other foods you can try that keep the urine in the right pH range.

When my old dog had a couple of bouts with struvite, she was later changed to 'Chappie' don't know if you can get it in Aus.

Have you also checked with the owners/breeders of other dogs in her lines as it can be a problem to run in certain lines (at least this is true for mini schnauzers)

Thanks Becks. Yes, have checked with her breeder and none in her line has had this happen before. Breeder did have one case, but in a totally different line, and time. My breeder has a policy of ask all the questions we have within the clan, and we all support each other with knowledge. The Clan are all owners of her progeny - a totally wonderful system she has instituted wth us - no secrets about what is behind the lines etc, and is 100% for breed health and temperament. Its truly wonderful. Several of us have gone on to have our own litters registered.

Incidentally, Chappie isn't available here in Aus.

Will check with the vets and get some PH strips and test as you suggest.

Thanks again.

My girl is mostly fed raw with the occassional dry.

I give her 1 tablet daily.it is a human one..I think it's 5,000mg. I can look when I get home.

I just give it to her in the morning with breakfast

When she first had the trouble her PH level was also off the scale but 2 weeks later it was all normal

Thanks CavsRcute. Becks also suggested the ph strips, so I'll check with the vet as to what is "normal" and do some checking myself. Think it'll be a slow process, I'll get the strips first and tes Thanks.t a couple of times, start her on the cranberry tabs and test, then ever so slowly change her diet to something I'd be happier with.

Return struvites are due to bacteria in the bladder getting out of hand and causing stone formation. You can feed a struvite prone dog a normal diet (raw prefered, but what ever your dog does best on) if you feed supplements to combat the bacteria, cranberry is an excellent one, especially when combined with supplements that acidify the bladder such as ACV and ascorbic acid (Vit C).

Be aware though, that you MUST wait until any course of antibiotics is completed before starting cranberry as it can interfere with some medications.

The ph strips are an excellent way to monitor the acidity levels.

Thanks Rural Pug. Great info. Yes, she is all finished with the stones, over 6 months ago. Having them dissolve completely is quite rare so we are lucky in that respect, and she was on long term antibiotics to combat any reinfection. Her normal diet before the struvite stones was 2/3 Premium dry food (generally Proplan) with 1/3 wetmix - red meat and grated vegies. Also Biolac coat conditioner, Petvite powder, and fish oil capsule. Perhaps she can gradually go back to this diet, if I add cranberry to it, and regularly use ph test strips?

I had read about Vit C, and someone else suggested Protexin/Inner Health Plus powder as well, but could you please tell me what ACV is? Brain Fade has struck whilst I'm on leave! Also, how does cranberry interfere with antibiotics?

ACV = apple cider vinegar - it should be the one from health food shops with the cloudy 'mother' in it, not the one from the supermarket.

I would be inclined to just monitor the urine pH at this stage, there are also calcium oxylate stones that can form if the pH goes to far the other way!

ACV = apple cider vinegar - it should be the one from health food shops with the cloudy 'mother' in it, not the one from the supermarket.

I would be inclined to just monitor the urine pH at this stage, there are also calcium oxylate stones that can form if the pH goes to far the other way!

Apple Cider Vinegar! Of course. I knew that I knew what the acronym stood for......... Got some of the proper stuff in the cupboard.

Thanks for the tip about the oxylate stones.