Toddler's Cheek Ripped Off By Family Pet

~Rumour~

he did really well and i think we might get him doing that more often so that the dog remember that my boy comes before him in the pack order..

If there is one thing I hope this thread brings home to people, it's that with resource guarding, pack order does not matter.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he did really well and i think we might get him doing that more often so that the dog remember that my boy comes before him in the pack order..

If there is one thing I hope this thread brings home to people, it's that with resource guarding, pack order does not matter.

I honestly don't think everyone is grasping that Aidan. :shrug:

I honestly don't think everyone is grasping that Aidan. :shrug:

It's a shame, some who claim to take their lead from wolves and wild dogs apparently don't take that lead too seriously.

Edited by Aidan2

thankfully my dog doesnt resource guard.. i can take anything away from him at any time..

Good to hear :shrug: I worry when I hear people talking about reinforcing their kids position in the pack in relation to this, good to keep it in perspective.

I hate to think what the parents were doing and thinking. :shrug:

I believe this incident happened in Nimbin, have any of you been to Nimbin? I do have some very normal friends that lives there but the place is full of very feral people. The kids run around dirty with no shoes and very little supervision. (parents are too stoned) The animals are even worse so I cant see any dog training going on or teaching kids to respect animals. I would be very surprised if it was a pure breed Labrador :D

I do hope the little girl is ok

I'm not going anywhere near your gross generalisation of Nimbin.

Re the bolded part. One question. Why?

I believe this incident happened in Nimbin, have any of you been to Nimbin? I do have some very normal friends that lives there but the place is full of very feral people. The kids run around dirty with no shoes and very little supervision. (parents are too stoned) The animals are even worse so I cant see any dog training going on or teaching kids to respect animals. I would be very surprised if it was a pure breed Labrador :D

Purebred labs bite too ............had a call from a guy wanting to surrender a 3 year old bitch this morning for biting his child .

Purebred labs bite too ............had a call from a guy wanting to surrender a 3 year old bitch this morning for biting his child .

What was the trigger for the bite?

Food !

Food !

It often is. ;) Shite some people are slow learners. The myth that some breeds of dogs are 'dangerous' and others are 'safe' has seen a lot of kids bitten over the years.

Food !

It often is. ;) Shite some people are slow learners. The myth that some breeds of dogs are 'dangerous' and others are 'safe' has seen a lot of kids bitten over the years.

Sorry that was a bit short ( seems like the world and it's wife wants rid of their dogs today )......basically the dog has hip problems and they have been keeping the weight off her on their vets advice , dog is outdoor only dog and the child was outside playing with some biscuits in her hand ......no adult with her ......given that the temperatures in Perth are hitting 40 degrees daily atm ........I'd say it was only a matter of time ;)

Sorry that was a bit short ( seems like the world and it's wife wants rid of their dogs today )......basically the dog has hip problems and they have been keeping the weight off her on their vets advice , dog is outdoor only dog and the child was outside playing with some biscuits in her hand ......no adult with her ......given that the temperatures in Perth are hitting 40 degrees daily atm ........I'd say it was only a matter of time :D

So another sad set of statistics to prove the warnings ;)

Child under 4 - tick

Dog with underlying health issue - tick

Child unsupervised - tick

Child with food - tick

I hope the poor little girl is OK. I doubt the dog will get a second chance. All the more tragic because its so easily prevented. :shrug:

How on earth does anyone leave a dog outside in 40 degree heat???

Edited by poodlefan

Sorry that was a bit short ( seems like the world and it's wife wants rid of their dogs today )......basically the dog has hip problems and they have been keeping the weight off her on their vets advice , dog is outdoor only dog and the child was outside playing with some biscuits in her hand ......no adult with her ......given that the temperatures in Perth are hitting 40 degrees daily atm ........I'd say it was only a matter of time :D

So another sad set of statistics to prove the warnings ;)

Child under 4 - tick

Dog with underlying health issue - tick

Child unsupervised - tick

Child with food - tick

I hope the poor little girl is OK. I doubt the dog will get a second chance. All the more tragic because its so easily prevented. :shrug:

How on earth does anyone leave a dog outside in 40 degree heat???

Plenty do without more than a normal bowl of water .....then when dog digs down to the retic to find some cool earth to lay in .......yep stupid dog has to go ;)

incidently my resource guarder border collie came from a very famous kennel.. and not one other i saw from there had his behaviour.. so i fail to see how the breeder is the bad guy at all?

He may not be a bad breeder at all, but there is a question mark.

It is possible to identify resource guarding in pups when they are very young. Was it a well-bred litter? Did the breeder miss the signs of strong resource guarding in the pup and place it with an unsuspecting family?

Or was the dog only ever a mild resource guarder, and its behaviour escalated because of family management?

I have done a fair bit of behaviour work, and seen quite a few resource guarders (labs, rotties, cockers - a real variety). Particularly with dogs who display it very early, I got majority of these owners to ring the breeders and ask if the pups were fed from one large bowl, and in the majority of cases the pups were.

From that it's a very early lesson where the puppy learns to control the situation around it, and that resources can be limited and their value increases.

In maturing dogs (7 months +) I found it was a dominance issue, and compounded by the reaction of the owner the first time the dog experimented with the behaviour... 'look, when I show aggression, they back away'. Whilst Ceasar Milan would confront the dog, and thats fine for him or anyone who is strong during confrontation, I'd rather instruct my clients to re condition the dog to something else - like a trade for food. One young Rottie would chase you to bite if anyone went within 2m of his bowl. So we started trading sausage fresh out of the microwave for the bowl. Now he just assumes when people go near his dinner its for a trade up. Not perfect, and I would never say he is 'safe' but at least 95% of the time he is, as long as the owners keep up the reinforcing. I heard 3 years on from seeing him, he still leaves his dinner in hope of a trade up :shrug:

Edited by Jakemon

Bet you if it was a pit bull they would have mentioned the word "MAULED" atleast 10 more times.

The part about it eating it's food would have been left out as well.

As for the dog being a dog and that's what dogs do.Rubbish NONE of my dogs that I have raised have had food guarding issues.

Any member of my family could safely remove a bone or food from my dogs without any problems.

Nothing is my dogs including his food I can take it away if I want to without any issues.

It's the owners fault not the dogs.

Poor training is what got that child bitten.

Maybe so, but a child should NEVER be left unattended with even the best of conditioned dogs. You just DON'T do it.

Bet you if it was a pit bull they would have mentioned the word "MAULED" atleast 10 more times.

As for the dog being a dog and that's what dogs do.Rubbish NONE of my dogs that I have raised have had food guarding issues.

Any member of my family could safely remove a bone or food from my dogs without any problems.

Nothing is my dogs including his food I can take it away if I want to without any issues.

Maybe so, but a child should NEVER be left unattended with even the best of conditioned dogs. You just DON'T do it.

Exactly Liz .......just had a call this morning from someone enquiring about one of our staffyx pups which is up for adoption and what they are like with children .Turns out they just had their 4 year old kelpie x pts for biting their not quite 1 year old baby ...........she was letting the baby pat the dog on the head whilst eating to teach the dog to be good around food :laugh:

Exactly Liz .......just had a call this morning from someone enquiring about one of our staffyx pups which is up for adoption and what they are like with children .Turns out they just had their 4 year old kelpie x pts for biting their not quite 1 year old baby ...........she was letting the baby pat the dog on the head whilst eating to teach the dog to be good around food :laugh:

All I can hope is that the owner learned from the experience. Pity the poor dog paid with its life for the lesson. :)

And people keep doing this. :)

Edited by poodlefan

this thread has given me a wake up and i have just had my son feed the dog and make sure he remembers the rule to step away from his food dish before giving him his release command.. he did really well and i think we might get him doing that more often so that the dog remember that my boy comes before him in the pack order..

Getting your child to give the dog food will not make the dog think or 'remember' anything about the pack order.

'Pack order' is fluid dependng on the value of the resource and the ease of which the dog can obtain it. This can change at any time, and can depend on the dog's mood on the day.