Toddler's Cheek Ripped Off By Family Pet

~Rumour~

" Toddler's cheek ripped off by family labrador Georgina Robinson

January 4, 2011 - 9:37AM

A young girl had part of her cheek bitten off by the family labrador in northern NSW last night.

Police said the four-year-old was playing with the labrador while it was eating its dinner at their home in Martin Road, Nimbin, about 7.15pm.

The dog is believed to have turned on the girl, biting her face and taking off a large section of her cheek.

Advertisement: Story continues below She was taken to Lismore Base Hospital but was later transferred to Royal Brisbane Hospital for surgery.

She was in a serious condition in hospital, police said.

The fate of the dog has not been decided."

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/toddlers-cheek-r...0104-19e5m.html

She was playing with it whilst it ate its dinner? When will they learn :o

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the one thing you'd drum into a kid especially in a doggy family "Never go near a dog thats eating???" Surely not too hard of an ask to keep the kid away for the 5-10 seconds it would take a lab to devour a meal.

To me, it's in the same category as "Don't take lollies from strangers."

Poor kid, poor dog. :o

Bet you if it was a pit bull they would have mentioned the word "MAULED" atleast 10 more times.

The part about it eating it's food would have been left out as well.

As for the dog being a dog and that's what dogs do.Rubbish NONE of my dogs that I have raised have had food guarding issues.

Any member of my family could safely remove a bone or food from my dogs without any problems.

Nothing is my dogs including his food I can take it away if I want to without any issues.

It's the owners fault not the dogs.

Poor training is what got that child bitten.

Bet you if it was a pit bull they would have mentioned the word "MAULED" atleast 10 more times.

As for the dog being a dog and that's what dogs do.Rubbish NONE of my dogs that I have raised have had food guarding issues.

Any member of my family could safely remove a bone or food from my dogs without any problems.

Nothing is my dogs including his food I can take it away if I want to without any issues.

No, lack of supervision and ignoring a very basic rule about dogs, kids and food got that child bitten. Whilst that IS the owner's responsiblity, lack of training is not the issue.

Clearly you've never owned a resource guarder siks. Count your blessings that you haven't but don't kid yourself for a moment that its down to your superior training.

Edited by poodlefan

Bet you if it was a pit bull they would have mentioned the word "MAULED" atleast 10 more times

What that got to do with anything? You are bringing pit bulls into a discussion that has nothing to do with them.

What an horrific thing to happen to this child and her family. A good reminder to all of us with children to keep enforcing those rules. I cannot imagine what would go through your mind if you saw that happen to your child. Not to mention the physical and mental scars this child will bear for the rest of her life. :o:):rofl:

I don't think the issue is trusting your dog. I have 4 labs, all of whom I consider to be 100% trustworthy. That does not mean that I allow my kids to interact with the dogs at feed time. Sure they give them treats, but they don't do "feeds". The dogs know I'm the boss, I make a point of handling their heads when they are feeding, and they know I am not a threat to their food. That doesn't mean I'd allow anyone else to do that, especially a child. Nomatter how much you trust your dog, precautions are still essential.

No, lack of supervision and ignoring a very basic rule about dogs, kids and food got that child bitten.

Clearly you've never owned a resource guarder siks. Count your blessings that you haven't but don't kid yourself for a moment that its down to your superior training.

It's got nothing to do with what you call superior training.

It's basic puppy manners and maintaining pack rank.

If you can't control the potentially bad behaviors of your dog you are asking for trouble and you are an irresponsible dog owner.

Imagine if you have a dog that does guard food and I am a parent and kids do slip away some time. Then the kid goes and plays with the dogs bowl and the child does get bitten.

It is your fault for not addressing the issue.

I agree a dog should not be disturbed while eating or sleeping but the animal should not bite a human if and when it does happen.

I also train my dogs so that I can take their food away at any time and they know I will do it. I often do it just to reinforce to them that I can take it if I want too. However I still will not let my 5 yo great nephew near any of my dogs when they are eating, and he knows not to go near them.

He won't even go near my 10 week old pups when they are eating for the same reason.

He loves to come with me when I get their food ready and helps get things organised but as soon as the food is put down he is outta there.

I work on the theory that even though an adult (In the case of my dogs-any adult can take it) may be able to take the dogs food away with out a reaction a child is a different thing as far as a dog is concerned. So while I may trust my dogs not to go me if I touch or remove their food I won't trust ANY dog if a child was to do the same thing.

Another thing to consider is, did the child try and take the food (ie by hand by moving the bowl) or did the child put its face to close to the food and this caused the dog to react. We may never know but in my opinion this could make a difference.

some dogs are born with that attitude, we had a border collie pup that went skitso if you didnt stay minimum of 3 feet from his food while eating.

we tried to get him used to eating without guarding it.. hopeless he got worse instead of better. left alone he was fine. consider how fast he ate anyway 60 seconds and it was gone anyway

Edited by asal

No, lack of supervision and ignoring a very basic rule about dogs, kids and food got that child bitten.

It's got nothing to do with what you call superior training.

It's basic puppy manners and maintaining pack rank.

If you can't control the potentially bad behaviors of your dog you are asking for trouble and you are an irresponsible dog owner.

Imagine if you have a dog that does guard food and I am a parent and kids do slip away some time. Then the kid goes and plays with the dogs bowl and the child does get bitten.

It is your fault for not addressing the issue.

I agree a dog should not be disturbed while eating or sleeping but the animal should not bite a human if and when it does happen.

It is a lot more than what you say it is too.

A dogs propensity to guard a resource that aggressively can also be partly genetic. It can have nothing to do with how responsible the owner is. Good owners can have bad dogs.

And no matter how well dog and kids have behaved in the past, there is always potential for a first time for this exact thing to happen if a dog is having an off day and the child unwittingly behaves in an extra challenging way. Rank is fluid depending on the value of the resource and how easily it can be obtained.

I am an advocate for physically separating dogs from small children when eating. Not relying on past behaviour or thinking that 'maintaining rank' is always going to work with every dog.

It is irresponsible for the owners to have allowed this to happen, exactly same as it would be irresponsible if one of your kids 'slipped away' to play with your dog while it ate - whether your kid actually got bitten or not.

Some responsibility may rest with the breeder? Who knows what the dog's parents were like?

A dogs propensity to guard a resource that aggressively can also be partly genetic. It can have nothing to do with how responsible the owner is. Good owners can have bad dogs.

Would have to agree with this to a point. Out of ten dogs we have here all our dogs eat together and pretty well all of them are good about it. But we do have one that came from another breeder and although he doesn't get very aggressive with other dogs he is very protective of his food.

He was bought up with our dogs since 8 weeks old but when he eats he literally lays across his bowl and growls while eating. He is the only one that does it and has not been treated any differently than the others. So in his case it may not be genetic (It may be how he was raised before coming to us) but I am reasnoably sure its not from his time here.

Must also add he only growls at the other dogs around him. Any adult can still take his food away from him and he will let them. Just protective in regards to other dogs.

I don't have kids but feed my two in their crates so that they can't disturb each other. Soooo easy and they now love their crates. I can take food from them but I wouldn't trust them with a child.

If I had kids the dogs would definitely be fed in crates - so easy and makes it so much safer.

The stupidity of some parents is mind boggling.

siks - I have an MS with fear aggression issues. She was abused and is weak nerved (other dogs who were in the puppy farm with her don't suffer from her fear issues). Despite what I tell myself sometimes, I AM a good owner - better than most out there. It isn't as simple as good owners = good dogs, bad owners = bad dogs. As Greytmate points out, genetics plays a big part in how a dog will react to a certain situation. Good ownership is about recognising that and carefully managing the situation.

Bet you if it was a pit bull they would have mentioned the word "MAULED" atleast 10 more times

What that got to do with anything? You are bringing pit bulls into a discussion that has nothing to do with them.

It was a sarcastic joke against the media :thumbsup: