Chewy Toys For Bull Breeds

Hi All

We are having trouble finding chewy toys that last (or are liked) for our two boofas.

Dutch's favourite toy is this rubber spikey thing:

40809114956cyber_dumbbell.jpg

However he has successfully destroyed one end. So we bought him a new toy that is a similar shape but for 'fresh breath' he HATES it. It's the peppermint smell/taste I think. Even Knuckles won't touch it and for the first 30mins of getting it Dutch barked at it indignantly.

We also purchased a denta-toy for Knuckles (fresh breath-less) that was a ball with discs that had small nodes that moved and massaged her teeth. She loved it and it has now been cheerfully destroyed. Both the peppermint and ball were bought on Tuesday this week.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The dogs seem too like the rubber toys with the nodes/spikes, but I am unsure of the durability of many toys at our pet supply shop.

Our requirements are:

- not food related (no kongs)

- chewy / rubber (no fluff)

- for bull breeds

If you see anything made by Europet Bernina in the pet shops, buy them - they're solid, heavy rubber toys - balls, spiky balls, bone shapes, barbell shapes, hoop rings.

Black kongs.

Dried treat items - roo tails, pigs ears, chicken rolls, that sort of stuff.

Everlasting treat ball is an expensive waste of money, though the dog may still like to chew the ball itself, which can take a lot of chewing.

Large knotted rope toy.

The rope, the kongs, the europet bernina toys and the treats keep Gus entertained - and even at eight months he can reduce a tennis ball to two bald halves inside of 90 secondscvxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx \

...see that last contribution? That was his big head on the keyboard, so yes, he agrees.

If you see anything made by Europet Bernina in the pet shops, buy them - they're solid, heavy rubber toys - balls, spiky balls, bone shapes, barbell shapes, hoop rings.

The rope, the kongs, the europet bernina toys and the treats keep Gus entertained - and even at eight months he can reduce a tennis ball to two bald halves inside of 90 secondscvxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx \

...see that last contribution? That was his big head on the keyboard, so yes, he agrees.

Oh thanks for that!

And thanks Gus you're tops.

my Everlasting treat ball lasted 10 mins :laugh:

I love the bouncy buddy bones - they do come with food, but my guys love to chew them without food on them (At is food aggressive, so cant have food laying around)

We have the thick rope toys - both the ball shaped and the bone shaped (not rubber but they do chew on them) - we also have nylabones and the hound has one that is like nylabone on the ends and the green rubber in the middle that he has in his crate at night - has lasted him a long time

Another toy we have is a plastic reel that they use for cabling etc - the dogs love to push it around and chew on it - or a staffy ball?

If you've tried a red kong and it was destroyed, the black kongs are worth a go - they're much harder rubber. I also only ever hand mine out with one filling - they get packed with fresh beef mince and stuck in the freezer overnight and then handed out frozen solid.

I've also discovered the joy of supervised temporary toys - empty coke zero bottles with the labels and lids removed, used pizza boxes (nought to confetti in three minutes) and a plastic takeaway carton filled with minced raw chicken carcass and then frozen. <--note the use of both 'supervised' and 'temporary'!!

The Premier brand toys are really good quality rubber. A couple of them are chewier 9(ie. more readily destroyable) than others. The waggle is a chewier one, but the chuckle(?) is good.

Youcan get a dental kong which has rubber spikes - I haven't got one myself but kong stuff is generally great.

I just asked my hubby who is a crane driver and you can pick up 2tonne slings at tool shops which is what our boy plays with (English mastiff x Dane) They are around $12 each you can plait them or weave them into balls they are fairly long and very durable. You can also buy rubber conveyed belt and cut into the size you want just buy whatever thickness u need. We have 12 tonne sling about $19 hanging in a gum tree that he swings from and plays tug o war with himself! Whatever amuses him :laugh:

I love the bouncy buddy bones - they do come with food, but my guys love to chew them without food on them (At is food aggressive, so cant have food laying around)

These ones?

41k-WCigX6L._AA300_.jpg

Is the bone part edible? Or just plastic chewy?

Our two can't have food when they play as it has caused spats before.

Thanks KelpieHoundMum, dunno about the rope. Little Dutchie never liked his rope knot thingy as a puppy

parrotpea: Oh that sounds like what we're after :laugh:

the only bit they can eat is the brown treat - I had one lot of bones for 3 years, I actually got new ones for Christmas as the old ones are too feral to keep inside! they have now been turned into outside toys :laugh:

Go to a boat place and buy xxx metres of a soft natural fibre rope and make your own chews. Tyres without wire (so bike or go cart). Big branches. Palm fronds (especially good if you can pull your own down say my guys!). 2 litre plastic bottles. 50c buckets - take off the handle that makes a cool toy all on it's own - or plastic flower pots.

Wouldn't waste my time with kongs, the extra heavy duty indestructable black one lasted 10 minutes with a 7 month old puppy.

The Aussie Balls I think they are make a ''staffy ball'' which is much loved by zoo lions and tigers - but I'm not sure they're ideal as the dogs can get very wound up chasing them which can mean trouble and some take most of the skin off their noses pushing it around (others ignore them completely!)

Edited by Sandra777

Gus started playing with buckets and I had to stop him - the water source in his pen is a bucket. I came home from a trip to the shops one day to find him in his run, with shade yes, but it was 33 degrees and he'd tipped his bucket out in order to play with it so had no water. I'd been gone three hours, which wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't fancy that on a day where I was out 8-10 hours.

The obedience trainer I use is very helpful, she'll lend particular toys out for a week and you can see if the dog takes to them instead of spending your money. The staffy ball was a total fail in our house - Gus isn't interested particularly in food rewards so he nosed it about two or three times and then ignored it. He wasn't interested in the hard plastic.

It's weird with dogs - I'm astonished that folks have had the black kongs demolished in minutes. I still have two red kongs that are nearly good as new and they're used daily, but it must be the way Gus plays with them, because I had a black plastic compost bin from Bunnings - you know the large ones with four clip-together sides and a lid, and Gus has literally eaten it. He's chewed ends of it, cracked the panels in half and half again, put teeth punctures marks through it, and it's a heavy duty, very hard plastic that'd I'd have considered would have a lifespan far in excess of a kong - yet it's in pieces and the kongs are intact.

Anything with fabric or leather on it - so stuffed toys, tennis balls, so on - destroyed in seconds.

The big achievement of the holiday season was the discretion and delicacy with which Gus managed to put perfect puncture marks in three of my christmas tree baubles without them shattering his mouth. :cry:

(Naturally that misadventure was undertaken in a 20-second-period where I wasn't watching him like a hawk. :rofl: )