Closed Thread

byott

Hi all.

Got my puppy this evening.

What is a good puppy menu for him. hes 9 weeks old.

weetbix & puppy milk. With egg. is the egg soft boiled ???

Its been along time since having one and need help

Edited by byott

Byott, you should be feeding him what ever the breeder (is this a GR?) advocates, at least initially.

Weetbix is nutritionally of little value to dogs - its cereal. Dogs have no need for milk after they are weaned and frankly a good diet should mean that there's no need to feed a dog expensive puppy milk. Eggs are good but in moderation.

I'd recommend a good commercial puppy food (kibble) and raw meaty bones eg. chicken wings.

Or you might want to do some research on raw feeding (eg. BARF). Dr Billinghurst's book Grow Your Pups with Bones is/was my bible on raising a pup.

If this IS a big breed, pup you want to keep it lean and grow it slowly - its important to assist with healthy hips.

I agree with Poodlefan. You should be feeding a complete puppy food supplemented with fresh bones. BARF is good for large breeds as they do grow slower. Carefull with eggs, they can be too rich for some puppies. Did the breeder give you a feeding guide? Any change in diet should be gradual. Our puppies go to their new homes with printed feeding instructions and endless telephone advice.

Hi byott. :rofl:

Since it is rather urgent I shall venture into sharing the experiences I have had with my 8 week old puppy who is now 13 weeks old.

However, I have to point out that I am not a Vet. as well as every other disclaimer. :laugh:

I was given the diet below by a professional dog trainer.

I believe it's one of Billinghursts'.

Here is a great diet for a puppy up to 12 weeks old.

(Use smaller quantities for medium and small breeds.)

Morning: half cup porridge (cooked lightly)

3 tbs Yogurt

tsp honey

Ripe fruit (Apple or Melon family)

Lunch: Raw chicken wing or quarter frame

Lick of Vegemite

Dinner: Half cup of pulped veggies

1 raw egg with shell

3 tbs mince or cottage cheese

tsp of oil (use a variety)

Sooki (my dog) has porridge, lightly cooked, for breakfast and she loves it.

Fibre is important for the prevention of bloat and diarrhorea.

If anybody can tell me how to get kids to eat their vegetables I would also appreciate it. :D

Now it happens that raw egg white can make dogs anaemic.

Sooki was actually having a snack twice a day and supper.

A baked dog biscuit in the morning, some cheese in the afternoon and the egg from her dinner in an egg-flip for supper.

:rolleyes:

Edit: to add snacks

Edited by pewithers

PW veges are more likely to be eaten if you mix in the raw egg and cottage cheese with them - or a few spoonfulls of mince or sardines. I mix it all up so they can't possibly eat the mince without eating the veges... But then again my dogs are labradors.... :rolleyes: they eat anything.

yes the breeder should have given you a puppy diet sheet to go through the age stages until 12 months.

If they havent you need to contact them to atleast get an idea of what they have been feeding it & go from there.

Each breed is different & some breeds have food groups which cant be given.

He will need 3 balanced meals for a large breed puppy.

Find out & tells us how you go :rolleyes:

Where did you get your pup? Weren't you just looking for a breeder yesterday?

Can we see a pic? Congrats by the way.

gareth

yes been looking for while got them from www.wysiwgkennels.com/liters.htm

darling to Quest litters. Little boy blue is the pup.

Hes really lovely very Golden 9 weeks . I shall get my daughter to load some photos on.

cant remember what they eat. been awhile for me. there is a link on the site. But cant print it out.

just after any ideas.

Thanks Byott

PW, it not likely that the diet you've been given is from Billinghurst, or if it is, its not a recent one. He doesn't support the feeding of cereal to dogs anymore and frankly, there's not enough raw meaty bones in it.

I fed from GYBWB - two meals of BARF mix and one RMB initially then upped the RMBs.

Root vegetables such as sweet potato and also pumpkin are excellent sources of fibre too.

When I do a veggie mix, I always try for at least one fruit, one root vegetable and one green vegetable. :rolleyes:

Edited by poodlefan

Heya poodlefan, is what he recommended in "Give your dog a bone" updated then? I've read a pre 1996 GYDAB and that's what I based the raw foods puppy diet on but not anything post 1996. I have a puppy guide in both online html and printable pdf formats and I may need to update the raw diet in it. I do also discuss good quality commercial food and raw meaty bones as a diet - which is what I've been raising pups on lately. (Actually I have to update some of the training info too.)

Edited by sidoney

Thanks poodlefan. :rofl:

I haven't read GYDWB yet, basically because I don't have a copy, but I have given Sooki some lamb flaps for RWB and it made her stink and brought the flies and swarms of maggots.

I think with GYDWB and RMB I could just give her some alphabet soup. :laugh:

It seems to me that vegetables should be no different to what is recommended for us; a yellow, green and red one daily.

She is putting on just under 1kg a week and was 6.4kg at 8 weeks and is now 11.4kg at 13 weeks.

sooki gets too much dairy but hey; she eats what I eat.

Or more correctly I eat what ever she is getting. :D

:rolleyes:

Yep, Sidoney, Dr B moved away from feeding cereal.

Grow Your Pups With Bones is great for new puppy buyers. In additon to puppy specific feeding advice, the book is better structured than GYDAB.

Dr B has a newer one out - "The BARF Diet" or similar but I don't got that one yet.

PW, if you find lamb on the nose, I'd recommend using chicken. I don't feed lamb all that often because its very high fat content makes one of my boys ill.

Most BARFers use chicken as the basis of their dogs diet and its less expensive than lamb. Wings, drumsticks or carcasses (you can cut them up) would all be good and you won't have to worry about flies because Sooki won't leave any lying around.

If you don't have a good pair of kitchen scissors or poultry shears, I'd recommend buying some - they make dealing with chicken a breeze. :rolleyes:

Hey all,

that diet PW posted is actually what I use. Yes, it is pre-grow your pups - it's from give your dog.

One thing that PW either didn't understand or forgot to metion is that the chicken wing is the meal that is increased as the puppy grows. So basically, at 8 weeks, it only gets the one chicken wing per day, however as he gets bigger, you don't increase the amount fed in breaky or dinner until you are giving him lots more meaty bones at lunch. Usually by 9-10 weeks the pup gets a whole chicken frame at lunch and just the same amount of brekky and dinner.

Also, where I say mince in the dinner - something I need to write in on my diet sheet is that I use minced meat and bones - ie. - lenard's pet mince - not just plain mince.

The biggest meal is definitely the lunch bones meal though.

Also, I know billinghurst has gone off the cereals idea - however I do think that there is still some merit in feeding a higher protein cereal such as oats for breakfast. (only for pups - I phase it out for adults) Firstly, oats are low GI but still have lots of carbs so it gives the pup his energy for the day, secondly, I do actually find the fibre beneficial for establishing regular toilet times, thirdly, I often have trouble keeping enough weight on my pups and the extra sugar from the carbs in oats helps with this. I think the reason I have trouble putting weight on them is because they expend so much energy eating their bones and playing with the other dogs. Not to mention training, which I start from day one.

No doubt about it Aatainic, BARF puppies are string beans! Darcy started out on 4 meals a day and didn't stop having 2 meals a day until he was about 14 months old. :rolleyes:

I find that feeding cereals, particularly in a drop eared breed can lead to yeasty ears... I just up the fattiness of the RMBs eg. upping from chicken necks to wings.

yeasty ears - that's interesting, thanks. I shall mull over that.

Sadly, my cocker with yeasty ears never has any grains - neither does my cat - both have current yeast infections - and I think my toller is coming down with one too! Sadly, none of them have any cereals ever - so that's not something I can try to fix it!